What's new

APOLLO 11 documentary debuts at Sundance (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just saw this in IMAX.

What an amazing documentary.

Stunning 70mm footage brings the Apollo 11 mission to life like never before.

It was thrilling suspenseful and awe inspiring despite most of the world knowing the outcome.

See it in IMAX this week if you can.

It is truly awesome.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I was amazed at the clarity of the 70mm footage. It was really jarring at first. It felt like I was watching a new Hollywood movie because I'm so used to old NASA footage being low in detail and overloaded with grain. The producers also did a tremendous job with the editing and the soundtrack. I'm very glad I saw it.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The amount of detail in the 70mm footage was amazing. The opening shots of the giant tractors and the men below it lubricating the tracks. Wow. You could read the text on the pails.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw this at the big IMAX at Lincoln Square in NYC and it was incredible. See it on the biggest screen you can while it’s still playing!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Saw this last night at the local AMC LieMAX and enjoyed it - not as much as you guys, but I liked it. I'm glad they eschewed narration and let the material speak for itself.

Question: the credits claim the movie was "optimized for IMAX" or some language like that.

My girlfriend asked me what that meant and I had no good answer in this case, so what does "optimized for IMAX" mean here?

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Saw this last night at the local AMC LieMAX and enjoyed it - not as much as you guys, but I liked it. I'm glad they eschewed narration and let the material speak for itself.

Question: the credits claim the movie was "optimized for IMAX" or some language like that.

My girlfriend asked me what that meant and I had no good answer in this case, so what does "optimized for IMAX" mean here?

Most films showing at multiplex IMAX theaters were not made with IMAX in mind. After they are completed, they are processed with Imax Corporation's DMR process, which enhances the sharpness, and if shot on film, reduces the grain.

IMAX DMR is IMAX’s proprietary image enhancement process that uses a sophisticated advanced algorithm designed to remove unwanted grain and noise present in the image without degrading or altering the artistic intent of the photography to produce the highest-quality, sharpest 4K HDR images.*

*Various sources.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Most films showing at multiplex IMAX theaters were not made with IMAX in mind. After they are completed, they are processed with Imax Corporation's DMR process, which enhances the sharpness, and if shot on film, reduces the grain.

IMAX DMR is IMAX’s proprietary image enhancement process that uses a sophisticated advanced algorithm designed to remove unwanted grain and noise present in the image without degrading or altering the artistic intent of the photography to produce the highest-quality, sharpest 4K HDR images.*

*Various sources.

Thanks! Still sounds like hype to me! :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I saw this last Friday as well. It looked so vibrant for 50 year old footage. Worth seeing if you like space history material/content.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Is this going to get a wider release at some point, anyone know? It is not playing anywhere near me.

Doubt it. I think it’s a one week IMAX only engagement.

I was under the impression it was IMAX only for a week but then would open on non-IMAX screens Friday 3/8.

I might be wrong about that, though...

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Even with the expansion this weekend it's still not at my 4 closest theatres, bummer. With July being the 50th Anniversary of the mission I'm surprised they didn't release in then. Maybe I guess they didn't want it to get lost in the summer shuffle?

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Hope this comes out on 4k before the anniversary as I plan to have a party to celebrate. Very good interview with Neil on YouTube by an Australian auditor.

Great to see the Dragon capsule safely splash down today. Looks like things are finally beginning to move now that private industry is taking the initiative. Hoping to see humans on Mars by my 100th birthday (2060).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Even with the expansion this weekend it's still not at my 4 closest theatres, bummer. With July being the 50th Anniversary of the mission I'm surprised they didn't release in then. Maybe I guess they didn't want it to get lost in the summer shuffle?

Possibly, but more likely that they simply couldn't get IMAX space in the summer. Too many blockbusters will scarf down those screens, whereas the week it accessed had no competition...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think CNN will be broadcasting it on their network to coincide with the actual anniversary date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks