Apple One Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
one.png

My Apple TV+ is bundled with the APPLE ONE family plan that I share with my GF and family members and is paid as part of a Verizon Wireless bundle so I am saving a little money. Of course, now that Apple TV+ is raising its prices, I fear Verizon is going to compensate for that price hike. No matter, Verizon keeps hiking up their prices every few months anyway.

The streaming services are becoming too expensive and I agree that this won't be the last increase within the next year or so.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Guess I'm also more likely to switch to Apple One family plan before too long -- I keep considering it, but just haven't so far... partly because I kept getting these free trial offers to allow some binging of what little (though mostly very high quality) they have on the service...

IF Apple One continues to cost just an extra couple bucks over doing iCloud+Apple Music, then that's a no-brainer, but maybe that also won't last though...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My Apple TV+ is bundled with the APPLE ONE family plan that I share with my GF and family members and is paid as part of a Verizon Wireless bundle so I am saving a little money. Of course, now that Apple TV+ is raising its prices, I fear Verizon is going to compensate for that price hike. No matter, Verizon keeps hiking up their prices every few months anyway.

The streaming services are becoming too expensive and I agree that this won't be the last increase within the next year or so.
I've got the Apple One Premier subscription. Any idea how it would work, if it would work, to switch over to having my AOP subscription through Verizon? It might be cheaper to get a more expensive cell plan, if it's covering part of my Apple sub.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Guess I'm also more likely to switch to Apple One family plan before too long -- I keep considering it, but just haven't so far... partly because I kept getting these free trial offers to allow some binging of what little (though mostly very high quality) they have on the service...

IF Apple One continues to cost just an extra couple bucks over doing iCloud+Apple Music, then that's a no-brainer, but maybe that also won't last though...

_Man_
My calculus became: I like AppleTV and will subscribe. I like Music and will subscribe. I want to go full-in on iCloud (and cut out my BackBlaze subscription). That tallied up to the price of the Apple One Premier subscription. I get Arcade, News, Fitness for free. And I use them a little bit making them legitimate pluses.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I had no idea the price went up again until this week after my freebie expired.

Hoping another one comes around ‘cause I ain’t paying $10 for this.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Although, I am looking at the Apple 1 thing they have.
Already have 2tb of cloud and Music so I might have to look at and figure out the “One”.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok just looked.

I pay $10 for 2tbs and $11 for Music.
Looks like I cannot do an individual plan to include 2tbs of cloud. I only see the 50gbs on that.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok just looked.

I pay $10 for 2tbs and $11 for Music.
Looks like I cannot do an individual plan to include 2tbs of cloud. I only see the 50gbs on that.
You add the Individual Apple One plan and keep your iCloud storage plan subscription at the 2TB tier. It will be $30/mo (rounded to whole numbers).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Verizon no longer offers APPLE ONE PREMIER. This change must have happened in the past month or two as I was looking to upgrade from my current APPLE ONE FAMILY plan.

I used to have APPLE NEWS and I really loved having access to all the magazines and digital newspapers. I know Apple has been losing money on that feature over the years so I can understand why it's only included in their top PREMIER plan.

I have no problem upgrading to the APPLE ONE PREMIER but it includes FITNESS which I have no use for. It's nice to have 200TB of storage, but I can't even come close to filling the 200GB I already have.

Still, I am thinking of either stripping down my Verizon wireless plan and going with APPLE ONE PREMIER directly through Apple OR keeping my Verizon APPLE ONE FAMILY plan and subscribing to NEWS. I have to work out the numbers.

The APPLE ONE plans, despite the price increase, are still a decent bargain considering you get Apple Music which is arguably the best of its kind. You also get APPLE TV+ which consistently has top-quality programming. And, with the family plan, you get to share it with 5 additional family members which is fantastic.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have no problem upgrading to the APPLE ONE PREMIER but it includes FITNESS which I have no use for. It's nice to have 200TB of storage, but I can't even come close to filling the 200GB I already have.
Do you not use iCloud storage for your files? I’d have guessed you’d easily fill 200GB with desktop and personal data. The 2TB standard for Premier is great for our photos libraries and a quasi-cloud backup for personal data.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
for. It's nice to have 200TB of storage, but I can't even come close to filling the 200GB I already have.

200tbs would be incredible.

Imjust signed up for 3 free months of Atv+ (is that what it’s called?) from Best Buy which seems to be there in perpetuity.
So no hurry right now to do the One thing.

Eother way the tier and trying to get the 2tbs thing seems confusing to me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
200tbs would be incredible.

Imjust signed up for 3 free months of Atv+ (is that what it’s called?) from Best Buy which seems to be there in perpetuity.
So no hurry right now to do the One thing.

Eother way the tier and trying to get the 2tbs thing seems confusing to me.
Go into your iCloud -> Subscriptions settings on and choose the Apple One plan you want.
IMG_5615.png

Then go into iCloud -> iCloud -> Manage Storage Plan -> Change Storage Plan and choose any additional data you want to subscribe to. (You can add 12TB onto a 2TB Premier plan for a total 14TB max.)
IMG_5616.png

In my case I’ve got the Premier which provides 2TB, so I don’t pay for any extra storage. In your case with the Individual Plan, that give you 50 GB, so you’d sign up for the 2TB storage plan for 2050 GB total storage at $20 + $10 per month.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Apple‘s official page on this:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Do you not use iCloud storage for your files? I’d have guessed you’d easily fill 200GB with desktop and personal data. The 2TB standard for Premier is great for our photos libraries and a quasi-cloud backup for personal data.

No. I barely fill my 200GB availability.

That's with my thousands of photos.

I am not sure what I could do with 2TB of data. If I could backup a computer to it, perhaps. Maybe store my music on it.

I am definitely leaning toward leaving APPLE ONE FAMILY and spending the extra $10 a month to go with PREMIER. I want the NEWS but not the FITNESS, but the extra storage may or may not come in handy.

Thinking, Thinking...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
How much News do they really include in the Premier level anyway? Maybe it'd be worth it to me if they cover all of both NYT and WSJ and whatever else, not just some "curated" portion of those accessible only via their News app (that would mean I still need to subscribe to them separately for complete access)...

I'm currently on cheap, seemingly annually renewable deals for NYT and WSJ that cost ~$5/month each or something like that. IF Premier level does provide complete access to both NYT and WSJ (and various others of interest like The Atlantic, The Athletic, etc), including use of their apps or at least easy access from links often shared in social media, emails, etc, then that would probably be a no-brainer option for me.

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Man,

I hate to throw you to a simple link to answer your question but it helped me get a better overview of what is offered

The New York Times pulled out in 2020

As far as THE WALL STREET JOURNAL, upon extensive search came upon this:

"Apple News only contains access to a limited amount of the content from The Wall Street Journal. It is not as extensive as the content that real subscribers receive." (Quora forum)

When I was paying for Apple News+ a few years ago, I stuck solely to magazine reading. It was nice to have an entire newsstand at my disposal along with back issues. At the time I had an iPad Pro so I would use that to read content. It was also very easy to read magazines on my Macbook Pro and desktop.

I am at odds with the service and I'm still mulling over whether to pay another $10 a month to upgrade to PREMIER family just to get it. I don't read newspapers. I find that I get all the content I need to be delivered to me fresh from visiting news and tech websites on the Internet. After all, the Internet is the very thing that killed newspapers and magazines.

It's a tough call whether to get it. What you could do is take the trial month (I have seen offers for 3 months) and see how you like it. Just report back and let us know what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks