What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Apple "Special Event" Day May 7, 2024 (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Are reviewers doing that? Everything I see is very positive toward the device as most supplied products toward Apple reviews tend to be.

I think the iPad is an incredible device. The only reason why I got rid of it was because of the OS. For my workflow, it's not as seamless as Mac OS, so I'd rather use a Macbook Air. I always had to find alternative methods of doing things.

However, I'm still in awe of what Apple has done with the iPad. No other tablet has been able to trounce it.

I keep reading and seeing comments that while the new iPad Pros are powerful with the new M chips, they are nothing more then iPads. They still cannot replace a laptop. Using the iPad Pro in the same way one reviewer uses a laptop for a presentation just wasn’t as seamless. They say it’s a great media consumption device. Amd the only people who really benefit are people who create art.

He…traveled?
I think there was a New York event as the iPad Pro he showed was showing the local time and weather and it said Tribeca, plus he made the video in what looks like his studio. So did he travel to California the day before, got up to the Steve Jobs theater, then fly back to New York and have time to make a video? :) It now looks like a New York event as Sam’s post confirms.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I agree Ron. When I saw that ad, as the machine was lowering down to compress everything, I got what the ad was conveying. All these creation tools and materials can be distilled down to one device that can help create music and film and the visual arts digitally.

I’m sure no animals and real instruments were harmed in making that ad.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That’s a weird ad. I see why some people hate it. I’m not sure it gets across the message they intended. It feels destructive and antagonistic. The visuals support that with the statues and figures poised to show fear to their impending doom. Nothing about this ad conveys joy and support towards artists. Nothing about this conveys productively compressing the creative arts into the iPad. It’s all fearful, terrorizing destruction to make way for the iPad.

So, super weird ad.

But as a guy that grew up with Dave Letterman and his 80 ton hydraulic press, I found it a visually thrilling ad.

So…yeah…not Apple’s best work…but if the goal is to get attention…a smashing success.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Another succinct criticism:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Via daring fireball:
Apple hosted about 50 members of the media in New York City, in their ludicrously spacious Tribeca townhouse, to watch the keynote stream live. They had a hands-on area post-keynote, and a bunch of demos and briefings throughout the morning and early afternoon. It was nice. More low-key than the pre-COVID on-stage events (like the Brooklyn one in 2018, when they introduced the first retina MacBook Air and the 2018 iPad Pros), but low-key is good. Doing things in-person is good. (They held a similar event yesterday in London, too — which perhaps explains why they streamed the keynote at 7am PT.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I found the ad to be quite clever.

Of course! I shouldn't continue to be amazed at what people dare to criticize. Everything gets put under a microscope these days looking for any "hurt" that might come from an ad like this.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Of course! I shouldn't continue to be amazed at what people dare to criticize. Everything gets put under a microscope these days looking for any "hurt" that might come from an ad like this.

I'm definitely not a fan of outrage/cancel culture and such, but... I more or less agree w/ the criticism for the most part (w/out going into outrage mode).

Like @DaveF pointed out, it is a "super weird ad" (and quite tone deaf) coming from Apple of all big (tech) companies.

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It’s not looking for hurt to say at the least it’s a weird ad and arguably a terrible ad in conflict with Apple’s stated ethos and key customers.

Contrast to the delightful and positive Boba Fett ad that touts an iPhone feature by overtly celebrating its nerdy culture.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That ad was hilarious in its tone deafness. I had a good laugh watching a bunch of CG models of creative instuments being crushed into the form of an IPad and the only feature touched on, after its creation, is that it is thinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks