What's new

Attention Mary Astor and/or Edward Sorel fans; Woody Allen has something for you (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link. Interesting that two books came out these past few months about Mary Astor's purple diaries.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I read the review on line about an hour ago & forwarded it to a few friends of mine with the following comment:

You will want to read this, as it's written by the Woody Allen we all love. I was wondering what had happened to him. He hasn't been around much lately. If only Mr. Allen's recent cinematic endeavors were as entertaining as this review.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
If anyone is going to read this book, they should read Mary Astor's autobiography too. It might also be a good idea to watch some of her films.

I'll cut Woody Allen a lot of slack because he is so obviously a movie fan. I'll cut him more slack for coining a splendid new phrase: trial by mattress. But if he really believes that Bette Davis and Vivien Leigh were better actresses than Mary Astor, then he urgently needs to see more Mary Astor films. He could start with The Great Lie.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Great review in the NYT; I have ordered the book.
Must say I have always enjoyed Mary Astor; particularly in The Maltese Falcon and the great Dodsworth.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Any idea how this compares to the Egan book on the same subject, also newly published?

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I can't see how Joseph Egan's book can be topped for scope and detail, but I'll have to check out the Sorel book for the illustrations and for the Sorel take on the material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsytems13
Recent bookmarks