What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Auro 11.1 - Barco (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Has anyone gotten to see/hear anything in Barco's Auro 11.1 sound format?

Apparently, Barco trying to position the format as a legitimate competitor to Dolby Atmos, but they don't seem to be doing a very good job of promoting it. Barco's website will show you which theaters (and which auditorium numbers) are equipped, and from that, you can probably figure out what's showing in them. But the theaters themselves don't seem to be promoting it at all.

Anyone know anything about this?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
The Auro system is not object based like Atmos. I don't believe DTS has officially announced their object based system, but I could be wrong.

Edit: DTS UHD not sure of its implementation yet>

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Bryan, just took a look at the Auro page - weirdly, they're claiming that the RPX auditorium at the Regal E-Walk Times Square NYC is Auro 11.1. Meanwhile, on the Dolby page, they're claiming that same auditorium is Dolby Atmos. Regal's official website is also claiming Dolby Atmos. Last time I saw a movie there, I saw a trailer for Atmos that played before the movie started.

So that's interesting. Wondering if the Barco website is out of date. I can't imagine the theater having both technologies installed in the same auditorium.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oh yeah...Barco(the money behind Auro) inked a deal for 15 DreamWorks movies with native 11.1.DreamWorks is also doing said movies in Atmos.Theatres set up for both...can choose(so far Cinemark is the only Auro constant).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I didn't realize that, thanks for the info. I didn't think that Barco would lie on their website, but I didn't think it was possible to do both. Do you know if they use the same speakers and just have them wired into two different set of controls (one for Atmos, one for Auro), or is it two different sets of speakers?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Auro(3D as it was previously known, and some still market) uses the 5.1 and 4 channel height of Atmos amp/speakers and feeds an additional "mid" level.Seperate heads. Same amps/speakers for the base 9.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks