What's new

AVR room correction sound (1 Viewer)

mjcmt

Agent
Real Name
Mike
I have a Yamaha RXV681 w/ YAPO room correction. This is my second Yamaha AVR and I've noticed the sound using room correction "flat" vs. not using room correction "through" sounds more muffled. Especially noticeable with dialogue on some programs is not as intelligible which can me problematic. I like the way room correction balances the speakers but with it seems to come less resolution and clarity in general. Has anyone else experienced this?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I have a Yamaha RXV681 w/ YAPO room correction. This is my second Yamaha AVR and I've noticed the sound using room correction "flat" vs. not using room correction "through" sounds more muffled. Especially noticeable with dialogue on some programs is not as intelligible which can me problematic. I like the way room correction balances the speakers but with it seems to come less resolution and clarity in general. Has anyone else experienced this?
Sorry to say this to you but YPAO is probably the worst regarded system out there among major manufacturers. I'm not talking about the overall quality/performance of the RXV681, just YPAO. With that in mind, my recommendation would be to disable it, make sure you've set all speakers to "Small" and then level match them using a simple SPL meter such as the one shown below.

Old Dog

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martyn
I don't have a Yamaha avr (would like to try one), but a Denon which uses the Audyssey system for set up. I have found although similar, the system doesn't always produce the same results. It may be worth trying set up a second, or even third time, if not tried already.
The Audyssey system on the Denon also has two functions within: Dynamic Eq and Dynamic Volume. Both of these can be turned off if required. If the Yamaha has similar options maybe this could be worth a try too.
At the end of the day though, I agree with and do the same as John has already suggested, set up manually. I also find I tend to prefer "Pure Direct" mode on the Denon which bypasses Audyssey anyway.

mjcmt

Agent
Real Name
Mike
Thanks, I don't have sub so as not to disturb my townhome neighbors, so L&R are set to large. I have a SPL meter so I'll match speaker volume with it. Thanks.

mjcmt

Agent
Real Name
Mike
Is it possible to adjust frequency points and Q, or is it just for matching speaker volumes using a SPL meter?

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure about your model, but some mid to higher end Yamahas have equalizers for adjusting frequency curves. I think my RX-A3060 has one but I have never used it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is it possible to adjust frequency points and Q, or is it just for matching speaker volumes?
Center frequencies and Q are usually not adjustable. Just the amount of level adjustment, but it does depend on the unit. There should be an "EQ" section of the Audio adjustments menu.

mjcmt

Agent
Real Name
Mike
Mine frequencies and Q is adjustable but I wouldn't know how to make correct adjustments w/ out using the YAPO mic and the results I get are more unclear and muffled so I find bypassing the eq and use the 'through' setting. I was wondering if others other have experienced the auto eq setting giving poor results as far as clarity.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Mine frequencies and Q is adjustable but I wouldn't know how to make correct adjustments w/ out using the YAPO mic and the results I get are more unclear and muffled so I find bypassing the eq and use the 'through' setting. I was wondering if others other have experienced the auto eq setting giving poor results as far as clarity.
As John Dirk stated more tactfully, YPAO sucks. That's the problem here. The options are a receiver from a brand with better room correction. Audyssey (Denon/Marantz) is better,but still far from good. Dirac and ARC (Anthem and other high $ brands) are the best, but quite costly.

The other option is to get a calibration mic like the UMIK-1 (<>$110) and use Room EQ Wizard (REW - free) and a notebook computer and be ready to spend dozens if not hundreds of hours learning the software and process, and analyzing endless sweeps. That still doesn't do all that good room correction will, though.

Merry Christmas. :dance:

Seriously though. It's not a simple thing. This stuff is complicated, and if you have a lot of experience analyzing audio in your head, you can actually "earball" some pretty decent corrections. At least overcome the major problem.

Robert Saccone

Premium
I have a Marantz SR8015 with all B&W speakers. I recently took the plunge on Audyssey’s recently release MultiEQ-X app. Previously I was using their mobile app to perform the calibration. I thought my system sounded great as well as being told so by others who’ve heard it. The new PC app while $$$ made quite a difference in my system with respect to imaging and soundstage. It wasn’t subtle. I was able to AB the results because the Marantz can hold two different sets of correction settings. I know all of this can be quite subjective but if you look around you can find others using the new app who’ve had a similar experience. Having no experience with Dirac I can’t compare the two but I think Audyssey is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsystems82
Recent bookmarks