What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

B&H Payboo deal??? (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Anyone else saw the announcement and invite yet?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/credit...7&utm_content=Retail&utm_term=payboo-save-tax

Just wish this came a couple weeks earlier before I bought a nice new tripod from their daily flash deals... :P

Does this help entice me enough to go visit their store and take the plunge on a discounted Nikon Z6 kit? I've been wondering if my current condition/situation makes mirrorless that much more worthwhile (despite the issues that probably still exist w/ the Z6)... Hmmm... :P

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I received the emails yesterday and today. It's a similar reward program to the Amazon Visa card I have, but it only gives you credit for sales tax spent at their site - - so basically I would get 6% credit on purchases towards future purchases at B&H. Amazon gives me 5% on Amazon purchases, 2% on certain other purchases (restaurants, gasoline, etc.) and 1% on everything else.

If I was to purchase some camera equipment, it may entice me. However, I can usually also order from B&H or Adorama via their Amazon store front and get close to the same reward via my Visa card, and use those rewards on more immediate future purchases of things other than just camera equipment.

As for mirrorless, I will probably eventually upgrade my Canon 5D3 to a Canon full frame mirrorless body and move to their RF lenses over time. However, that is probably further down the road once the product line matures more. I am considering selling my Canon 7D2 crop sensor body, though, and just using my Canon M50 mirrorless as my only crop sensor body. I am not shooting enough anymore to justify owning three bodies.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It's 8.875% for those of us in NYC (and similar upstate) -- and I too have an Amazon Visa, but killed my Prime subscription (so only get 3% back on Amazon)... at least for near term... because I really don't need it most times...

I'm actually very curious how they managed this... especially for us NY-ers who never got the break before for obvious reason. It's apparently actually effective even for shopping in-store, which makes it that much more valuable...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
However, I can usually also order from B&H or Adorama via their Amazon store front and get close to the same reward via my Visa card, and use those rewards on more immediate future purchases of things other than just camera equipment.

Ok, I actually just applied for their Payboo card and went thru their checkout process (just short of actually placing an order) to confirm... and just as described, the reward is credited immediately to the order as though you never pay the sales tax... even though they somehow are (supposedly) collecting the tax to be sent to the state/municipality. So it's not some reward to be used for another subsequent purchase at all.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I am loving this Payboo deal...

Already used it to pay for a Nikon Z6 kit (and basically saved nearly $220!) while being able to shop for it in-store -- and what HT enthusiast and tech gearhead wouldn't enjoy some time in that store, haha... Even ordered an Epson 2150 projector (now on sale at ~$750 for what amounts to ~$70 savings w/ Payboo) for a friend... and will probably end up buying an Atomos Ninja V along w/ various video shooting accessories (and maybe also some arca-swiss QR stuff) w/ it as well...

Don't know how exactly they're managing it, but it's certainly working great so far -- the sales tax is clearly listed on the receipt... along w/ the Payboo savings/credit...

Definitely loving it...

_Man_

PS: Of course, YMMV since the savings depends directly on your sales tax rate... though that will always be NYC rate if buying in-store...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sadly, just received an email they're terminating Payboo soon -- last purchase date will be 1/17/22 w/ accounts being officially closed circa early April...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sadly, just received an email they're terminating Payboo soon -- last purchase date will be 1/17/22 w/ accounts being officially closed circa early April...

_Man_
No, Payboo is not being terminated -- B&H is just switching to a new bank. This is the email I received:

Dear Valued Customer,

In May 2019, B&H introduced our Payboo® loyalty program credit card that offers the unique and unparalleled “Save the Tax” instant benefit on every eligible purchase made with the card. Two and a half years later, we are grateful that the Payboo® program has grown tremendously, benefitting so many of our customers, and continues to offer the most valuable loyalty benefit in our industry.

To ensure B&H’s ability to maintain this great loyalty benefit for our customers for the long-term, we are switching our card-issuing bank partner. While this change will require some action by our customers, the good news is that our unique offer of an instant reward equivalent to the sales tax customers pay will remain unchanged in eligible states.

We will be launching a new and improved Payboo® Card in mid-January 2022. The ‘new’ Payboo® Card will provide the same “Save the Tax” instant benefit you currently receive plus, based on customer feedback, we are adding the option to choose promotional financing for most transactions (cardholders will be able to choose either the “Save the Tax” benefit or the promotional financing, but not both).

What does this mean for your current Payboo® Card?

• Your current Payboo® Card, issued by Synchrony Bank, will be valid for use with the “Save the Tax” instant benefit until January 17, 2022
  • You will receive a notice from Synchrony Bank soon stating that your current Payboo® Card will no longer be usable for new B&H purchases after January 17, 2022. (Please continue to manage your current account and pay off any outstanding balances in accordance with the terms and conditions)
  • When we launch our new Payboo® Card in mid-January, we will email you sharing the terms of the new program, including the same “Save the Tax” benefit plus the promotional financing options. This information will also be available on our website, in the B&H NYC SuperStore, and by phone
  • While we regret the inconvenience, customers will have to complete a credit application to apply for the new Payboo® Card. Once approved, customers will be able to use the new account right away and continue to enjoy the Payboo® benefits

The Payboo® loyalty program has become a key ingredient of the B&H shopping experience and has earned tremendous acceptance among our customers. We are pleased that with the introduction of the new Payboo® Card, we will continue to offer the same “Save the Tax” benefit into the future, though programs like this are always subject to change.

Again, we regret the inconvenience of having to apply for a new credit card, but we believe the new Payboo® Card will result in greater payment flexibility, ease of account management, and excellent service, while allowing us to continue offering the “Save the Tax” benefit. If you have questions, please email us at [email protected].

If you also have a B&H Financing Card, you will receive a separate letter advising that your account will remain available for new B&H orders until January 17, 2022, and will no longer be accepted for new purchases thereafter.

And YES, the name will still be Payboo®!

Thank you,

Jeffrey Gerstel,
Chief Marketing Officer

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ah, ok... I apparently missed seeing that earlier email from last week and only noticed the new one from Synchrony.

But they're saying we have to reapply for a new card account though... which is annoying and means another (hard) credit check...

Guess I'll hold off reapplying until I'm actually ready to buy something significant from them again after that 1/17/22 date...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am planning on holding off on any purchases through them until the switchover, as well, unless there is an unforeseen sale from Canon before then. I want a few items, but do not really need them until March.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As a follow up, I did re-apply for the new Payboo card through the new servicing bank. For some reason, after approval there was some glitch where they did not send me a card for several months. It wasn't a big deal, as I wasn't ready to buy anything from B&H at that time. I finally received my new card, and used it recently to buy a Canon RF 800mm f/11 lens to receive the no sales tax deal. After making my purchase, I received a pleasant surprise. As an apology for the delay in sending my new card, B&H issued me a $50 gift card.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malcolmfsims
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale