What's new

Babylon 5 Reboot (The CW) (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I had hoped that that video was up-to-date info, not from a couple of years ago.

Even if the B5 reboot is still being considered, there's no way it's going to be on CW now. Or TNT or TBS. If Warner keeps it "in house", it'll end up being on HBOMax (or whatever replaces HBOMax). Given Warner Discovery's current business plan, they'll likely try to license it out to someone else, so who knows where it'll end up.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I had hoped that that video was up-to-date info, not from a couple of years ago.

Even if the B5 reboot is still being considered, there's no way it's going to be on CW now. Or TNT or TBS. If Warner keeps it "in house", it'll end up being on HBOMax (or whatever replaces HBOMax). Given Warner Discovery's current business plan, they'll likely try to license it out to someone else, so who knows where it'll end up.
Where ever it finally lands, I just hope that they don't try and capture "lightning in a bottle" with a revamping of the same storyline with the same characters with different actors. They need to create a new storyline and characters to build into a new B5 legend. After all it took 5 years to tell the first story, and really when broadcast the series was hit or miss.
It wasn't until I was able to sit down and watch the series sequencially that all the pieces fell into place. the networks diid a horrible job with this series, and although I'd love an HD BR box set, for now I'm thrilled to have the DVD sets and the added movies that were made as well.
The series Excaliber could have been handled better, the series showed promise and I thiink that the writing was less than stellar, as well as the broadcasting slot that they were givien didn't help either!!

Attachments

• Babylon_5_Crusade_TV_Series-316299918-large.jpg
    Babylon_5_Crusade_TV_Series-316299918-large.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 35

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
And showing the episodes in haphazard order.
Agreed, the network treated it like it was Pery Mason or something? This was unique in that you had the small, medium and the larger overall storyline, and by showing them out of episodic sequence it messed with the larger and most times the medium timelines of the story, Ultimately just confusing the audience!!! It sure did me!!!
It wasn't until I bought the box sets that everything made sence...

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Really, I don't think the network knew what they were signing up for. The whole concept of B5 was not your 54 min Star Trek episode. I love ST but that format kept if to inter chracter relationships, that grew and delevoped during the 3 year run of the original ST but with no real larger storlines ( developed further in the ST movies). Everything wapped up by the end of the episode, with very few lose ends. And that was what the networks were used to.

Where with B5 it would leave you with lose ends, yet keep you happy with all the delevloping inter action between all the charcters. All of them growing as the series developed, yet leaving you with those little nagging questions in the back of your mind. And eventually, some where answered and kept you watching for more easter eggs!! It is a great series and well worth the time...

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.

The way Warner Bros. is going, they'd likely cancel it before a run can be completed anyway.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Really, I don't think the network knew what they were signing up for. The whole concept of B5 was not your 54 min Star Trek episode. I love ST but that format kept if to inter chracter relationships, that grew and delevoped during the 3 year run of the original ST but with no real larger storlines ( developed further in the ST movies). Everything wapped up by the end of the episode, with very few lose ends. And that was what the networks were used to.

Well, keep in mind that Babylon 5 wasn't on a network, per se. It was one of a handful of shows that were a part of PTEN (Prime Time Entertainment Network) a Network In Name Only that was more akin to syndication in that the local stations would air its shows in whatever timeslot in their schedule was available. The other shows on PTEN were also Warner-owned: Kung Fu: The Legend Continues and Time Trax. KF:TLC was closer to a regular "story of the week" show, while TT, like B5, was more serialized.

But even B5 was more of the "story of the week" deal in its first season. JMS peppered the S1 episodes with things that would pay off in later seasons, but for the most part, it didn't start showing its serial nature in earnest until the ep118/119 two-parter.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Well, keep in mind that Babylon 5 wasn't on a network, per se. It was one of a handful of shows that were a part of PTEN (Prime Time Entertainment Network) a Network In Name Only that was more akin to syndication in that the local stations would air its shows in whatever timeslot in their schedule was available. The other shows on PTEN were also Warner-owned: Kung Fu: The Legend Continues and Time Trax. KF:TLC was closer to a regular "story of the week" show, while TT, like B5, was more serialized.

But even B5 was more of the "story of the week" deal in its first season. JMS peppered the S1 episodes with things that would pay off in later seasons, but for the most part, it didn't start showing its serial nature in earnest until the ep118/119 two-parter.
Right, but my thoughts are that it was the "mindset" of the executives that were used to certain formats and just couldn't connect the dots with B5. JMS had the story well in mind, pelling his glass onion and joyfully so , in that all 5 seasons made it on the screen to complete the storyline.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I didn't know we lost Mira Firlan too. So many of the original cast died way too young. This is my favorite SciFi show so i hope they don't mess it up. I've probably seen every episode at least 10 times.
Its a harsh list.

To date we lost:

Richard Biggs (Franklin)
Andreas Katsulas (GKar)
Jerry Doyle (Garibaldi)
Tim Choate (Zathras)
Jeff Conaway (Zack)
Mira Firlan (Delenn)
Steven Furst (Vir)
Michael O' Hare (Sinclair)

There is a host of others who were singular appearances or for a run of episodes (Efrem Zimbalist Jr (Mr. Edgars))

Source

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls023048945/

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Right, but my thoughts are that it was the "mindset" of the executives that were used to certain formats and just couldn't connect the dots with B5. JMS had the story well in mind, pelling his glass onion and joyfully so , in that all 5 seasons made it on the screen to complete the storyline.

True enough,but the thing is that PTEN was Warner-owned, so the network execs were beholden to whatever Warner wanted. The whole point of PTEN was to show Warner-produced shows, whatever that entailed.

PTEN eventually gave up the ghost after four years, so Kung Fu and Time Trax ended. Babylon 5 ended up going to the Warner sibling TNT.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Where ever it finally lands, I just hope that they don't try and capture "lightning in a bottle" with a revamping of the same storyline with the same characters with different actors. They need to create a new storyline and characters to build into a new B5 legend. After all it took 5 years to tell the first story, and really when broadcast the series was hit or miss.
JMS has said it will be a complete revamp. The pilot script has not been picked up and it hasn't been rejected. Just watching and waiting right now

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
JMS has said it will be a complete revamp. The pilot script has not been picked up and it hasn't been rejected. Just watching and waiting right now
Also, slightly B5 related is the ongoing project of Space Command, with many of the actors from B5...this is an update for this project...enjoy!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Thanks for the Space Command link. I remember watching what I think was the pilot years ago. I didn't know it continued. I'll have to spend some time with it.
The SC is a series of 2 hour features, that link is the freshest, and the first 2 hr feature is finished and does have one of the last Mira Firlan in this series, as well as other actors from B5/ST. Rather than a brodcast series, it seems that these will be independent features. I may be wrong, but that's my take away from this.
I remember when this first started back in 2020, a great idea and have follwed it since.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Yes, JMS has publicly said it is all in the can and more details will be released next Wednesday.

Here is a cast photo he shared sometime back saying that they were working on something. The animated movie must be that something,
Cast photo 1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chpsen
Recent bookmarks