What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Backyard waterfall questions (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Has anyone built one, worked on one, or have one? The reason I ask. I want to build one for my backyard, a small one, in the back corner of my planter. The block walls are 7' high and the planter is 5' deep. I figure that's plenty of space. I have tons of big 18" or so size rocks all over my back and front yards to use. I just need a pump and pond...I'm guessing. I'd like the waterfall to be 7' high, or close to that. Nothing fancy, or expensive. I figure I can buy the pump and pond anywhere just not sure if I need to match anything up as far as size and gph.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

CRyan

Screenwriter
I cannot help you on pump size, although I imagine most smaller pumps built for that purpose will suffice for that size pond/height of waterfall (obviously the higher it has to pump the water the stronger it needs to be). Most ponds I have seen also use a floating aerator as well to keep algae growth in check.

If I were building a pond, I would probably use rubber sheeting instead of a molded plastic tub. Would let you make any shape you want and I can only imagine it is simpler to dig since you don't have to match a preformed shape. Not to mention, you can cover the edge completely with overhanging rocks without worring about that plastic lip. The biggest concern you need to think of in either case is drainage. Your pond (or parts of your pond) will float if it is not adequately drained. Generally, you want a pond on well perked land with a sand base. If your planter does not drain well now, you should put in rock and a drain as the first layer. Although, I imagine you already know all that.

Building the waterfall yourself is also pretty easy. Just build the waterfall structure with rock and mortar around the tube that will feed the water to the top of the falls. I would not attach your new waterfall structure to any existing wall - just inviting cracks and crumbles.

I have a friend that has built several but have never built one myself. If you have not looked, see if you have a pond store around. Oddly, I have one a few blocks away. Had never even thought such a thing existed till I moved here.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks for the tips CRyan. The pond will mostly be above ground, with the dirt and large rocks built up around it. My neighbor is in the middle of an addition and I have access to tons of free dirt. The waterfall will not be attached to anything, just up against the back wall.

I've decided to start out small, maybe 3' or so in height and then as I collect more rocks and boulders build it higher and bigger.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Aren't you the one with the nice tiki backyard? How much coolness does one man need? Ah, it's the jealousy talking.

Here's the rest of Ron's yard. The explosives boxes are a completely awesome touch.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/285206/i-built-myself-a-tiki-hut

On The Vanilla Ice Project, he put in some tiki torches that are gas powered. He also put in some gas firebowls poolside. I love that stuff.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Well, I've decided not to do a rock waterfall. Instead, I'm going with a Flume setup, old west style. It'll run the length of about 1/2 the backyard and then dump into a pond. This will give me a very cool and matching look my backyard has and the sound I want as well.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Here's a link to updated pics of my yard...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v377/Ron-P/Backyard%20Paradise/

The footings went in and about 25' of Flume was built. Next week I hope it get it all stained to match all the other wood work in the yard and then install the pump and get some water flowing. I plan to buy a smaller pump to keep the water flow at a minimum. I don't want a heavy flowing waterfall.

Here's a pic as of yesterday...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks