What's new

Pre-Order Barbarella (1968) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
14915176-4295078608510659.jpg
(Click on photo for larger image)
LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY CONTENTS

• Brand new 4K restoration from the original negative by Arrow Films

• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tula Lotay

• Double-sided fold-out poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tula Lotay

• Six double-sided collector’s postcards

• Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Anne Billson, Paul Gravett, Véronique Bergen and Elizabeth Castaldo Lundén, and select archival material
DISC ONE - FEATURE

• High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation

• Original lossless English mono audio, plus remixed Dolby Atmos surround and lossless French mono (featuring the voice of Jane Fonda)

• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

• Audio commentary by film critic Tim Lucas

• Alternative opening and closing credits

• Isolated score
DISC TWO - EXTRAS

• Another Girl, Another Planet, an appreciation of Barbarella by film critic Glenn Kenny

• Paul Joyce’s behind the scenes featurette, Barbarella Forever!

• Love, a two-hour in-depth discussion between film and cultural historians Tim Lucas & Steve Bissette on the impact and legacy of Barbarella

• Dress to Kill, a 30-minute interview with film fashion scholar Elizabeth Castaldo Lundén on Jacques Fonteray’s world-changing costume designs

• Framing for Claude, an interview with camera operator Roberto Girometti

• Tognazzi on Tognazzi, actor/director Ricky Tognazzi discusses the life and work of his father and Barbarella star Ugo Tognazzi

• An Angel’s Body Double, actor Fabio Testi discusses his early career as a stuntman and body double for John Phillip Law on Barbarella

• Dino and Barbarella, a video essay by Eugenio Ercolani on producer Dino De Laurentiis

• Trailer

• US TV and radio spots

• Image gallery

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Standard 4k Edition

Last edited:

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Back in 1968 when there was an abundance of great films to see theatrically and I was drinking a bottle of cold Coke from the red/ white machine with the fat lever for a dime, Barbarella only seem to last a week in theaters before it was replaced by Oliver! and/or 2001: A Space Odyssey. If you wanted to see the film again, you really had to search. In West Jefferson, NC there is an old beautiful art deco theater called the Park Lane off of the main street with the beautiful marquee still extending over the sidewalk. I visited one day and interviewed the Manager who gave me a tour and above the candy stand was a mint condition framed window card of Barbarella! I asked him about it. He said when they opened the film and displayed those same one sheets in the outside poster boxes, people protested and gave him a lot of grief for running what they were calling smut at the time. He sent the one sheets back to National Screen Service (Cherry Hill, NJ!) but kept and framed this to always tell the story I'm telling you now.

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
Barbarella also underperformed in London. Paramount pulled it and replaced it in the key cinemas with Lindsay Anderson’s If…. which performed better than expected.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
According to Wikipedia, "The film was particularly popular in the United Kingdom, where it was the year's second-highest-grossing film, after THE JUNGLE BOOK." My memory was that BARBARELLA did good business in general, although it was considered a scandalous disgrace by many conservative reviewers and distributors at the time.

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
According to Wikipedia, "The film was particularly popular in the United Kingdom, where it was the year's second-highest-grossing film, after THE JUNGLE BOOK." My memory was that BARBARELLA did good business in general, although it was considered a scandalous disgrace by many conservative reviewers and distributors at the time.
It was London where it was pulled rather than the entire UK.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I am not a fan of that new art, so I went ahead and pre-ordered the LE "Original" Artwork [actually 1977 re-release] version even though that art has been used for the film since its 1979 home video debut.

dVuQKog.jpeg

cZY9sub.jpeg

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Embarrassing that they don't even know they're not using original art...

Here is the 1968 poster.

Attachments

• Barbarella_English_Poster.jpeg
    Barbarella_English_Poster.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 56

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
The original 1968 poster artwork was illustrated by Robert McGinnis. The 1977 re-release poster art being used by Arrow for this new 4K edition was illustrated by Boris Vallejo.

Here is a closer look at McGinnis' original 1968 illustration used for Paramount's advertising campaign. It captures the style, tone and vibe of the film so much better than Vallejo's.

2018-01-13_19-23-47_764 (1).jpeg

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
I got to know John Phillip Law the last few years of his life and conducted one of his last taped interviews. He had great stories about working on BARBARELLA. Some not to be revealed! BARBARELLA made money, just like CANDY did.

I appreciate giving work to other artists for sleeves, etc. But I always want the choice of original poster art.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Barbarella opened in New York City on October 11, 1968 at 3 theaters: New Forum 47th Street, Loew's New Cine and the Murray Hill.

barb subway poster.jpeg

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I won a blu ray right here on htf years back (finding out only when it showed up in the mail!!! haaha) and still treasure it.
$60 is way out of my budget right now. my wallet has sand and cactuses in it.

There...that's 2 reason for me not to buy this. Why did I wishlist it?

{calls head shrink while humming "baaaah baaaah barbarellahhhhh baaah baaaaaaab"}

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks