What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Batgirl (2022) (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Return Of Jafar was exactly the type of film I was thinking of. It's not a bad film, but it's definitely second-tier Disney. Since this film is being made for HBO Max, it's not unreasonable to think that the same level of quality filmmaking isn't going to take place.
The Return of Jafar was an afterthought cheap way to make a quick buck. It was not essential to Disney's business plan. It wasn't even supposed to be a movie; it was the pilot for the Aladdin television series, and somebody thought, "What if we put this out on video instead?" Obviously, they made a ton of money from it because it sold 10.5 million copies. But if they hadn't made that much, it wouldn't be a big loss.

Warner Bros. clearly sees HBO Max as the centerpiece of their business plan moving forward. That's why they were willing to take a loss on an entire year's worth of movies in order to help grow the streaming service. That's why Jason Kilar has already stated point blank that The Batman will be on HBO Max on April 19, as soon as they are contractually allowed to put it there.

They want people to subscribe to it and to stay subscribed to it month after month, year after year, because that is a stable source of reliable income for the company. They need audiences to think that it is a premium brand. So, they are not going to risk watering down the content they produce for it. If Batgirl isn't very good and doesn't drive subscriptions to HBO Max, that's a much bigger problem for the studio than it would have been if Disney had a bunch of unsold Return of Jafar tapes. So I think WB is going to take care of this one.

Although movie fans who love the theater understandably would wish otherwise, I think taking something like Batgirl to streaming is a statement about how important HBO Max is to WB's future. If they are actually willing to forgo what would likely be a considerable amount of theatrical money in order to direct those ticket buyers to HBO Max instead, that's not dumping this movie on the streaming service. It is anointing the streaming service as their top priority.

Last edited:

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I like the look. Very Yvonne Craig.

Hmm. If comparing to Yvonne Craig, there's no contest on the curves. I will never forget how YC looked in her version of the costume. Yowza! But yeah the palette seems inspired from that era for sure.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Is there a release date for this movie? I see the top post says 12/2/22 but that’s the only place I’ve seen that date, and that’s pretty close to Warner’s Aquaman sequel, which is coming to theaters. Seems unlikely to me they’d sandwich this one in between Flash in November and Aquaman in December.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
1642669179676.png

Leslie Grace looking good in the Bat-Suit.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Ivory Aquino has joined the cast with Alysia Yeah.

Is there a release date for this movie?
I have not seen one from an official source. There was a report in one of the trades a while back that said it was coming in 2022, but I don't know where they got that information. Certainly, if they are still in the process of announcing new members of the cast, it doesn't sound like the movie is nearing completion. I would not be surprised at all if it ends up being 2023. Or even if it is supposed to be 2022, there very easily could be a delay if there are issues related to Covid (knock on wood) or any number of other things.

The stuff in the first post is sometimes wonky. This isn't my thread, but there have been a couple threads where the forum wouldn't let me post it without a release date so I had to make one up. I'm not saying that is what's happening here, but I wouldn't take the info in the first post of any thread as gospel.

Also, it's worth noting that this film has J.K. Simmons (who played opposite Ben Affleck as Batman in Justice League) as Gordon, but Michael Keaton is the actor playing Batman in this film. It has also been announced that both Ben Affleck and Michael Keaton will appear in The Flash movie. This implies to me that we probably need to see The Flash first in order to understand what Michael Keaton is doing here. As of right now, The Flash is scheduled for November. So I personally do not believe we will be seeing Batgirl in 2022. But 2023 seems likely.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Hmm. If comparing to Yvonne Craig, there's no contest on the curves. I will never forget how YC looked in her version of the costume. Yowza! But yeah the palette seems inspired from that era for sure.
I was going through puberty (I know...TMI...) when the Adam West Batman series had Yvonne Craig and Julie Newmar on display. I've never been the same since.:eek:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sweet merciful crap! The movie has been shelved! It will not be released!

They say it's "irredeemable." How could it be worse than Batman & Robin or Catwoman? Is this yet another huge misstep for Warner Bros. and their DC films?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wouldn’t necessarily trust the gossip column at the Post as being a legitimate source for this kind of news.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Confirmed by The Hollywood Reporter

Although it sounds like more Discovery penny-pinching rather than a quality control issue.

Ok, this makes more sense - they’re deciding not to go forward with making the film. The new CEO had previously stated that HBO Max original films would have budgets below $40 million, while the previous regime was greenlighting titles with budgets over $100 million. It’s no surprise that they’re following through with their previously announced change in strategy.

The Post report made it seem that the film was already made and that Warner was just going to bury it sight unseen, and that made no sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks