What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Besides movies what are your other hobbies? (1 Viewer)

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I did a search but couldn't find an existing thread that covered "other" hobbies.
So I'm curious what other hobbies movie fanatics have.
I've been an organist since high school when I switched from piano to the organ. I'm currently the substitute organist for a church in Riverside, Ca.
A year after we moved from Atlanta out to SoCal I bought a Allen digital organ so I could keep up with my passion.
So what are your other "hobbies"?
unnamed.jpg

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I used to play golf (I played in Myrtle Beach all the time), but I don’t have time for it anymore. These days, if I’m not chilling at the house watching a film, I take my pleasure ride out for a spin (2015 Charger).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I love to play golf, and played my most rounds ever last year (I am retired now). I also am an amateur photographer, and my wife and I love to travel. The walls of our home are decorated with photographs from places we have visited over the past 30 years. We have about 9 weeks worth of trips scheduled for 2019, including a cruise circumnavigating Iceland this summer. Jeffrey mentioned Myrtle Beach - - we have owned a condo in North Myrtle Beach for over 20 years, and are spending more and more time there since retirement. We rent it out when we are not there to help with the cost of ownership.

Also, we have been season ticket holders for the local major junior hockey teams that occopy the arena about 3 miles from our home, so I am at between 35 and 40 games per season. USA Hockey's National Team Development Program has owned the arena for the past four years. Before that, it was owned by the former Plymouth Whalers of the Ontario Hockey League (they were sold after 20 seasons in Plymouth and are now in Flint, Michigan).

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Besides DVD Collecting, I have a few

I like to keep a small Aquarium with tropical Fish ( Dont have any right now because Im moving back to Florida)
I like going to the Target range when I have the time
I have a few CB Radios that I plan to set up and communicate on ala the Duke Boys
Putting Puzzles together and hanging them as Pictures is one
When I get back to FL, I will hope to spend more time around the Kennedy Space Center

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I collect spores, molds, and fungus. :D

Sorry, couldn’t pass it up.

Besides movies, I play video games. I used to sing karaoke, league bowl, and play nine-ball but over the years, all of my friends have started families and either moved away or no longer have time for recreational activities outside of their families.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I like to shoot pool, but no time for it (pool is a lot like golf- you have to play on a regular basis to keep a level of competence).

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I like to shoot pool, but no time for it (pool is a lot like golf- you have to play on a regular basis to keep a level of competence).
The hotel where I spent the last two weeks has a pool table on each floor, however, they’re awful tables with dead rails and torn felt.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We have a pool table in our basement that was passed down from my grandfather to my dad and then to me. Way back in my youth, I used to shoot every day after school. Sadly, the table rarely gets used anymore - - just occasionally when we have friends over.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Collecting old newspapers from my youth and before (back when papers were papers, and not today's overpriced, uber-thin rags)!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I have a large sci-fi/horror BD/SD collection that keeps me busy. I used to collect old movie posters, but sold them all and just have 6 that line the entrance to my home theater. My media center at my last house was dedicated to Ray Harryhausen. That's him and I when he stopped by to see my media center back in 2005.

I also have a Corvette and put on the largest get together once a month of Corvettes in So Cal and have been doing that since 2005. LIFE IS GOOD!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Playing classic videogames from the 1970's and 1980's, watching trains and ships, watching auto races, learning about American history, and going for car rides and searching out old things like bridges.

I used to be into PC auto racing simulators, but couldn't afford to keep up with iRacing and have sadly let that hobby fall by the wayside. I still turn a few laps occasionally in old PC racing sims like Grand Prix Legends, a now very old game from 1998 that modeled the 1967 Formula One season.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
More recently, I've been reading more books about the history of the nuclear bomb program during world war 2. In particular, I've been reading about some of the men behind it such as J Robert Oppenheimer.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Collecting old newspapers from my youth and before (back when papers were papers, and not today's overpriced, uber-thin rags)!

On a similar direction, I also like reading old articles and books to figure out what people were really thinking at a particular point in time.

The most informative are unabridged diaries which are unedited and uncensored. For example, such as "Berlin Diary" which was William Shirer's personal journal of his time as a cbs foreign correspondent reporter in nazi germany over 1934-1941.

In contrast something written by an historian many years (or centuries) later, will frequently be written with a bias of hindsight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks