What's new

Best Sound From 4K Blu-Ray Player To AV-Reciever? (1 Viewer)

DarthTangYang

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcus
Hello!
I recently purchased a 4K Blu-Ray Player (Panasonic DP-UB450) and I am currently running both Audio and video via HDMI to my TV. From there on I run the sound from my TV to my AV-Reciever (Denon AVR-2106) via an optical cable.

However, I was wondering if there's anything to gain from running the audio straight from the Blu-Ray Player to the AV-Reciever instead? If so there's the problem of my AV-Reciever not having any HDMI ports. So in that case I would need to somehow convert from HDMI to Coaxial or optical if that's preferred.

Any help here is very much welcome.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Without hdmi inputs on your receiver, it's not possible to get the best audio. The best option with the gear you have is to run the coaxial digital output from the player directly to the receiver.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Marcus,

From what I understand, your connection scheme (with the TV in between the blu-ray player and AVR) removes the 5.1 encoding. You end up with a two-channel (stereo) signal, from which is derived old-school, matrixed analog Dolby Pro-Logic surround sound.

Likewise, HDMI converters also strip the 5.1 processing and leave you with DPL.

As John noted, the best way to get Dolby Digital et al. audio from your current set up is to connect the blu-ray player directly to the AVR via the coax connection.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

DarthTangYang

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcus
Without hdmi inputs on your receiver, it's not possible to get the best audio. The best option with the gear you have is to run the coaxial digital output from the player directly to the receiver.
Ok, so that single Coaxial output at the back of the Blu-Ray Player is the best option? I would never have guessed that. Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ok, so that single Coaxial output at the back of the Blu-Ray Player is the best option? I would never have guessed that. Thanks!
Yes. With your current receiver it definitely is. It will give you up to DD/DTS 5.1, where as Wayne explained, routing through the TV will most likely yield at best DD 2.0. If you get a new receiver, then you want to route hdmi through it, then to the TV.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ok, so do you mean that I should route the video as well through the reciever in such a scenario?
Yes, as long as the new receiver is capable of passing through 4K video -- including the two HDR formats (HDR10 and Dolby Vision). Any newer model should support this, but if you buy an older receiver used, then it could be an issue.

DarthTangYang

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcus
As John noted, the best way to get Dolby Digital et al. audio from your current set up is to connect the blu-ray player directly to the AVR via the coax connection.
Ok, so are there any differences in quality or function when it comes to coaxial cables (i.e. different types) or would any Coaxial cable do?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ok, so are there any differences in quality or function when it comes to coaxial cables (i.e. different types) or would any Coaxial cable do?
Not really, but people get weird about cables. Most of it is voodoo. Any decent RCA cable will be fine. Not dirt cheap, but not expensive either. To make things easy, a subwoofer cable from Monoprice is a good way to go.

DarthTangYang

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcus
Not really, but people get weird about cables. Most of it is voodoo. Any decent RCA cable will be fine. Not dirt cheap, but not expensive either. To make things easy, a subwoofer cable from Monoprice is a good way to go.

Well, I am located in Sweden so I won't be ordering from Monoprice. However, what about this one from Amazon? It costs $10 for 3 feet. Is that considered dirt cheap?

1704401592363.png

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I am located in Sweden so I won't be ordering from Monoprice. However, what about this one from Amazon? It costs $10 for 3 feet. Is that considered dirt cheap?

View attachment 208350
Amazon sells Monoprice cables here in the USA, which is what I linked. I don't know if you meant Amazon US, or Sweden, but I'd look if it's Sweden. That cable you included an image of looks fine, but the one I linked has much better connectors at the same price or less.

DarthTangYang

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcus
Amazon sells Monoprice cables here in the USA, which is what I linked. I don't know if you meant Amazon US, or Sweden, but I'd look if it's Sweden. That cable you included an image of looks fine, but the one I linked has much better connectors at the same price or less.
The link you posted is broken, at least at my end so I can't open it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks