What's new
  • Notice: Scheduled server upgrade Tuesday at 8 AM CT - forum will be temporarily unavailable.

Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Not sure why S and G can't get a stateside release ?? Wonder why TCM has never shown this film ??
It is shown on FXM and in a letterboxed print that is rather faded, fondly remember WABC TV's old 4:30 movie airing of this on Easter weeks over 3 days!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's now shown up on that site that lists forthcoming German Blu-ray releases for a December 9th release.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
It's now shown up on that site that lists forthcoming German Blu-ray releases for a December 9th release.

It’s like 3 minutes longer than the longest cut released.

RobertMG

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Looks like this shows Region B. If that’s true maybe Kino or someone here stateside will release it.
Fox owns it here in the states meaning Disney FXM still shows it --- seems like will be English track?

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Just now able to get on HTF from a new computer. My looney mistake above didn't let me post below it after the "reply" quote was doubled for some reason. Couldn't seem to delete and start over, either. Time to retire "old reliable" Mac and move to this newer model. Just wanted to thank richardburton84 for the fabulous update. I was skeptical that a blu-ray was actually imminent, but now am ecstatic. Best news for me this year, can't wait!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Not sure why S and G can't get a stateside release ?? Wonder why TCM has never shown this film ??
It’s a Fox film in the US and now controlled by Disney. At the present they are not doing much with that library. Hopefully they will be opened to boutique labels releasing those titles as they did with the Selznick library. Not crossing my fingers much.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
According to Cinesavant it *should* be at least A/B:

...as was Dundee it’s primarily for the Deutsch-speaking market but the plan is for it to be Region A friendly and carry English & Italian Language tracks.

I'd guess those early listings don't have all the information or are using region defaults until closer to release date.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
So, now that Christmas is gone, the next big Holiday is Easter in 3,5 months.
The genre of the title, is one of my most favourite genres, and I think such films would look spectacualr in HD.

Has anyone heard anything about classic films (except for Solomon and Sheba that is coming from TT) on the way?

A list of my most wanted films that aren't yet on Blu is this:

David and Bathsheba (1951) (I know about the Scandinavian release)
Salome (1952)
Land of the Pharaohs (1955)

The prodigal (1955)
[test][test]The story of Ruth (1960)[/test][/test]
Esther and the King (1960)
Barabbas (1961)
[test]Sodoma and gomorra (1962)
[/test]
Jesus of Nazareth (1977) (I know about some European/Mexican releases)
King David (1985)

What else would someone like?
A very late reply but I have HD copies of all but Sodom, Esther and the King, and Story of Ruth, all Jesus of Nazareth apart, off of tv broadcasts. The dvd of Esther is pan and scan and a disgrace.
French tv showed a gorgeous HD transfer of The Egyptian last year, best I’ve ver seen, but they continually show glorious HD restorations of films. Don’t know how they do it. No sign of Esther or Ruth or Sodom, nor of my most wanted HD restoration Helen of Troy. But I live in hope.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
A very late reply but I have HD copies of all but Sodom, Esther and the King, and Story of Ruth, all Jesus of Nazareth apart, off of tv broadcasts. The dvd of Esther is pan and scan and a disgrace.
French tv showed a gorgeous HD transfer of The Egyptian last year, best I’ve ver seen, but they continually show glorious HD restorations of films. Don’t know how they do it. No sign of Esther or Ruth or Sodom, nor of my most wanted HD restoration Helen of Troy. But I live in hope.
Esther & The King & The Story Of Ruth are both Fox, so I think we can forget about Blu-ray releases of them. I understand that Fox did an HD transfer of The Egyptian, & then unsatisfied with it, redid it, & that was the transfer that Twilight Time released, & I'd think that was the transfer that was on French TV (the TT Blu-ray was expensive, nearly $40, but I'm so glad that I bought it). Helen Of Troy & Land Of The Pharaohs are two of my top wants from Warner Archive, maybe next year...

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
(Super) Technirama (70) has quite a number of historical / biblical epics that have never been released in any decent shape.

One large format historical movie that is set in a latter time and that to my knowledge is about to be released this year is The Black Tulip, it has even been scanned in 4k.

And if you are into this kind of movies for them being shot large format definitely stay away from the Spanish Blu-ray release of John Paul Jones - it makes the old Spartacus Blu-ray look like Lawrence of Arabia.
The Black Tulip looks simply gorgeous! I first saw it in Paris in 70mm on its original release. BD looks as good.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Pier Angeli is always a good reason to watch The Silver Chalice! - but I've always thought that it was a particularly striking Biblical epic especially with the visual design you mention - quite a bold decision for the period it was made. Paul Newman isn't so bad, really - he just seems a little uncomfortable in the role - he never played one like it again for the rest of his career. A couple of really hammy performances by supporting players drag it down somewhat. I'd still buy a Blu ray like a shot.
Newman turned down Ben-Hur because of this movie. Imagine had he been in it instead of Heston!

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
A
Robert Aldrich's Sodom And Gomorrah would be more than welcome - in a complete version, ideally. Amazingly, it had an 'X' certificate when it was shown here in England in 1963 - Adults Only!
And it was cut! I saw it in the Netherlands and couldn’t see any reason for the ‘X’ let alone any cuts!

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
If a blu-ray of The Egyptian would be something you (or someone just aching to get their hands on it) might be interested in, it is available from the same company that put out Hannibal in Japan, Minerva Films. Both are Region A, which you will be able to play in the USA. I'm quite impressed with this company and imagine that it would be the same transfer as the TT release. Of course, you're looking at forty some bucks as the yen goes. Great cover art for this release, as well.
I still have to say that the much praised here TT release of The Egyptian is not as good as the transfer shown last year of French television. Why or how I don’t know.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
It was along time ago, but I can still remember the disappointment. Maybe I was unlucky with the choice of cinema, it was at the Royalty, Ladbroke Grove, I saw a lot of great films there, it closed down around 1963.

AH! I think you're right. Thinking about it, it may well have been Goliath & The Barbarians (I think it was). It was a lifetime ago.
Never saw any of those Steve Reeves epics, and I was an addict, in anything other than colour in south London.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The Black Tulip looks simply gorgeous! I first saw it in Paris in 70mm on its original release. BD looks as good.

I would buy a Blu-Ray of it if it was in English and Region A.

blacktulipflyerfront.jpg

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
I would buy a Blu-Ray of it if it was in English and Region A.

blacktulipflyerfront.jpg
French release doesn't even have French subtitles! The version I saw in London in Cinema was an appalling dub into English, and was really pleased I'd already seen it in Paris where it looked and sounded so much better on just a huge 70mm screen! It's such a great romp!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Newman turned down Ben-Hur because of this movie. Imagine had he been in it instead of Heston!
The horror! :lol: Newman was wise to turn it down. Newman is such a contemporary actor that he seems out of place in ancient Jerusalem, Egypt, Rome or Greece and with those legs looks ridiculous in those togas and leather mini skirts! Heston on the other hand was made for the genre as he proved in Ten Commandments and Ben Hur.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindynwes
Recent bookmarks