What's new

Blurry/Ghosty Motion with The Woman in White (2018) Region-1 DVD (1 Viewer)

Classic Movie Fan

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas
I just bought PBS's Region-1 2-DVD set of this production that aired on Masterpiece a couple of years ago. I was really surprised and disappointed to see noticeable blurring/ghosting of characters when they move around (nod their heads, walk from one side of the scene to another, etc.). It's as though motion causes the image to become a double, ghosty offset image. When the characters are stationary, things look pretty normal. I have a lot of other DVDs, including quite a few for other BBC productions, and I've never seen anything like this before. To make sure my somewhat older Sony Blu-ray player isn't malfunctioning, I popped in another BBC-derived Region-1 DVD (The Moonstone) and compared it with The Woman in White. No problems with motion artifacts in The Moonstone at all. My Blu-ray player plays the latest Blu-ray discs just fine, so I don't suspect the player.

Has anyone else had this problem with this title? Are there any settings in my Blu-ray player and/or my TV that I could tweak to overcome this problem? So far, I've tried switching my Blu-ray player to 60p instead of 24p, and I've tried changing the Blu-ray player's output resolution to 1080i instead of 1080p. Neither of those changes helped. My setup is a Sony Blu-ray player connected via HDMI to a Denon AV receiver, which is in turn connected via HDMI to a Sony Bravia 55" 1080p TV.

YANG

Screenwriter
if you own 2 Bluray players, try setting one specifically for DVD playback with FUR- Forced Upscale Resolution output. it's very easy to achieve by just forcing your player to output 720p video signal to your TV. such setting should be able to minimize the ghosting effect.

Classic Movie Fan

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas
if you own 2 Bluray players, try setting one specifically for DVD playback with FUR- Forced Upscale Resolution output. it's very easy to achieve by just forcing your player to output 720p video signal to your TV. such setting should be able to minimize the ghosting effect.
I don't have a second Blu-ray player, but I do have a DVD player that's built into a different TV (a small kitchen TV made by Toshiba). I see the same motion artifacts when I play the DVD on that system as I'm seeing with my home theater system. That's why I'm tentatively blaming the DVD itself. Poor encoding/mastering, perhaps? Poor conversion from PAL to NTSC?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bipbop13
Recent bookmarks