What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Amazon Prime Bosch Season 7 (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Atari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward
We've been waiting for this forever. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
For those who might not have remembered, the seventh and final season of Bosch on Prime dropped today. Eight episodes. I watched the first one tonight, and got immediately involved in the new story.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
For those who might not have remembered, the seventh and final season of Bosch on Prime dropped today. Eight episodes. I watched the first one tonight, and got immediately involved in the new story.
I watched the first half of the final season tonight. With the imminent closure of Hollywood Division on the show, it definitely feels like the end of an era.

The season begins with a four-month time jump, to New Years Eve 2019, which I think is the most specific the show's ever been in terms of chronology. Importantly, this sets the season, at least for the episodes I've watched so far, pre-COVID. It's an open question whether the show will acknowledge the pandemic; while it is closer to the real world than a lot of fictional shows, there are important differences including the Mayor and Chief of Police for the City of Los Angeles. Perhaps even more importantly, it's set before the May 2020 murder of George Floyd, and all of the concerns that raised about law enforcement.

While it is very much still the same show it's always been, there are a few elements that feel like they're setting up the spinoff (which just began filming):
  • Mimi Rogers has been promoted to series regular this season, and Madison Lintz has more screen time than she's ever had, Maddie being at the center of one of the two cases Bosch is investigating.
  • J. Edgar, struggling with his conflicted feelings about executing the Butcher last season, is falling apart in all areas of his life, creating serious tension between him and Bosch. Meanwhile, Jerry refuses to acknowledge what he's going through, and resents Bosch's hard line given everything he did to cover for Bosch in the past when Bosch waded into ethically gray areas. If their fallout gets worse, it could explain why Jamie Hector is not a series regular on the spinoff.

Tremendous work from Titus Welliver when (7x01 Spoiler) the arson investigator takes him to the body of Sonia Hernandez, on the ground next to the locked emergency exit covered in little handprints indicating her desperate struggle to open it Bosch gets a look on his face of pure righteous rage.

I'm enjoying the subplot with Billets, too. She is someone who had deftly navigated the LAPD boys' club for years and eaten shit as the system piled on with one indignity after another. It's compelling to see her really confront and challenge this time around the forces within the department that have wronged her.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Knowing this is all the Bosch we're going to have for awhile, I will slowly make my way through these episodes. I will not binge no matter how compelled I am to find out what happens next. And the fact there are only 8 this season instead of 10 also makes me want to watch them slowly and savor them as much as I can.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My thoughts on the next two episodes:
Maddie finding out that she was a target from her dad while sitting there staring at the parking spot where her mother was gunned down really underscored the traumas that have piled up for this family. Harry and Maddie are both made of strong stuff, but it takes a toll on anybody.

I've had a soft spot for Bess Armstrong since she played Angela's mom on "My So-Called Life". I really liked her character as a love interest for Bosch: Age appropriate, and both at a point in their professional and personal lives where they were were well-suited to a part-time courtship rather than an all-consuming relationship. I was sorry to see Judge Sobel get killed off.

It's nice to see J. Edgar starting to pull himself back together after he spent the first half of the season more or less a complete mess. The scene on Bosch's balcony where he takes responsibility, and Bosch hears him out levelly without letting him off the hook was a really effective scene.

Also really powerful was the scene where Bosch meets with Sonia Hernandez's father. Sonia's father is looking for assurances that the people responsible for her death will be brought to justice. Bosch, whose own daughter was in a very vulnerable position at that point, is the greatest advocate Sonia has in Los Angeles. But he doesn't make promises to her father that he can't keep. He tells him that the owner of the building with the locked fire exit will get off with some fines. He tells him that there are no guarantees that Peña will be brought to justice.

And with good reason; it certainly appears that the feds are going to let Peña get away with murder in exchange for his testimony, and Chief Irving is going to go along with it in exchange for the feds' dirt on the mayor. If Bosch ends up leaving the department at the end of the season, my guess is that that will be why.

I'm glad Paul Calderon got promoted to series regular this season. Robertson is the only character that really operates at Bosch's level. Given the semi-adversarial nature of their dynamic in the past, I'm glad to see on the same page this season.

It's always perplexed me about law enforcement culture that police departments go to great lengths to circle the wagons and protect bad apples while punishing the honest cops who try to address their maleficence. It creates perverse incentives where individual cops have to choose between condoning or even actively facilitating unethical and even illegal behavior or risk being hung out to dry by the rest of the force amidst a dangerous situation.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My thoughts on the final two episodes:
What I appreciated about how the series ended is that all of the characters stayed true to themselves. Chief Irving played the game. Bosch stayed true to his mantra. Everybody else kept plugging along.

This episode mentioned the pandemic explicitly for the first time, but the finale had to be before mid-March because while the virus was in the news on the show, everything hadn't shut down yet.

All indications are that the deal for the spinoff hadn't been made when the finale was shot, but the spinoff had to be at the back of Eric Overmyer's mind, because the ending sure tees it up perfectly.

The spinoff with jump ahead 18 months from this finale, basically skipping over the worst of the pandemic. During that time jump, Maddie Bosch will have graduated from the police academy and joined the LAPD as a uniformed officer. The spinoff will more directly address the impact that Black Lives Matter and the protests following George Floyd's murder have had on the LAPD. Meanwhile, Bosch will be on the outside looking in as a private investigator.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I only today finished the first four episodes (I said I was going to go slowly), so I'm halfway through. Very intriguing storylines, not one of them a dud or without real interest. Cast to a person is firing at the top of their games. Really love this show. Can't wait to see where the next episodes take me.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
On episode 2 now. It does have some classic cop/detective show cliché stuff, but all very well done.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Overall I liked the whole show quite a bit. But although I know Bosch is the hero, imho they overdid that a tiny bit in that regard this season. But kinda fun that they included a callback to the theme song in the last episode with a line Bosch says. The acting was first rate all the way around. I hope to see more of Paul Calderon, Jamie Hector, Mimi Rodgers, and as many of the others as possible in the new show. Enjoyed the references to old shows from the past, many of which I've watched at least some of myself.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Enjoyed the season quite a bit. It didn't match the thrills and surprises of season five which was my favorite, but any Bosch has got to be good.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just watched the last episode of the last season. I’m sad to see it end. Some of the best you can watch on TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks