What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release Cats (2019) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Continue reading...

Attachments

• 81jkorCN9vL._SY679_.jpg
    81jkorCN9vL._SY679_.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 228
Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have a friend who's a great Lloyd Webber fan who may ask me to go with him to see this next week. In the meantime, I pulled out my old DVD of the filmed version of the show made in 1998 and watched it tonight to put the show and songs back in my head. Now, if we DO go to see the film, I'll be better able to do a comparison to what was intended for the stage version and what the film alters for a different medium.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Looking forward to your update. Thanks for taking one for the team!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've never been a huge fan of the show. I saw it once on Broadway, once on tour, and watched this DVD once when I got it and once last night, so that's the sum total of my experience with Cats. I don't find the score consistently memorable (not like, say, Into the Woods or Sweeney Todd, both masterpieces by Stephen Sondheim), and the plot is slight enough to be superfluous, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that "Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats" hasn't been running through my head constantly since last night.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
From the reviews, it looks like we are in camp-classic territory.

I'm almost getting tempted to see it. I'll probably still wait for the BD - I don't wanna be trapped in a theater for 2 hours with this atrocity - but this thing sounds so insane that it's becoming more interesting!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I've never been a huge fan of the show. I saw it once on Broadway, once on tour, and watched this DVD once when I got it and once last night, so that's the sum total of my experience with Cats. I don't find the score consistently memorable (not like, say, Into the Woods or Sweeney Todd, both masterpieces by Stephen Sondheim), and the plot is slight enough to be superfluous, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that "Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats" hasn't been running through my head constantly since last night.
Well I had Babs Streisand's 7" single Memory in 1981. Cost me a week's pocket money, it did. Wasn't as good as Guilty though. But I digress.
81j7Vpy5JGL._SL1415_.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm really not sure why they're bothering. This news isn't going to bring in any more people to the theater who weren't going to see it anyway, and it already seems like it's going to lose a fortune.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, another reason to hate digital taking the place of film in theaters if a movie can be "updated" that fast. The original version of this will likely be lost to time now. The disc of course should include both versions, but likely won't.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I think it was a stupid move by Universal to have the film re-edited while it was still playing in theaters, even if it's something as minor as "improved visual effects." The film was getting bad buzz in part due to those visual effects and I think they made the situation worse. They could have waited until the video came out.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I think it was a stupid move by Universal to have the film re-edited while it was still playing in theaters, even if it's something as minor as "improved visual effects." The film was getting bad buzz in part due to those visual effects and I think they made the situation worse. They could have waited until the video came out.

Remember, this is what happened to "Heaven's Gate." And "Exorcist II," and "Watcher in the Woods." With certain exceptions (Kubrick recut "The Shining" TWICE after its opening), editing poorly-received films after they opened isn't gonna make people wanna see the film; it'll scare them off even more.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Remember, this is what happened to "Heaven's Gate." And "Exorcist II," and "Watcher in the Woods." With certain exceptions (Kubrick recut "The Shining" TWICE after its opening), editing poorly-received films after they opened isn't gonna make people wanna see the film; it'll scare them off even more.

just like the butchering job on STAR.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Guessing it’s more a matter of they paid the vendor for the work, which wasn’t delivered on time but now has been - might as well use it since it has already been paid for and was meant to be in there.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
just like the butchering job on STAR.

Speaking of Robert Wise movies, Paramount almost did the same with Star Trek: The Motion Picture. ALMOST. (And like Cats was another instance of a movie not being finished before its premiere.) Then Wise intervened and said no. Maybe he remembered what happened to Star!

There are plenty more examples of when movie tweaks added during the theatrical run doesn't work. Another example is William Freidkin's Sorcerer. And then you have Jaws: The Revenge, which made its silly shark death even sillier.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Guessing it’s more a matter of they paid the vendor for the work, which wasn’t delivered on time but now has been - might as well use it since it has already been paid for and was meant to be in there.

That makes sense. It seems tough to fathom that on Friday, Uni said "crud - it's bombing. Let's fix the effects right now and it'll be a hit!"

Even if all they did was minor touchups, they'd need more than a day to achieve these!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks