What's new
World Wide Stereo

CAVEAT EMPTOR: Logitech Harmony Link no longer being supported (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I just got a message through my Logitech app that in March, Logitech will no longer support the Harmony Link and it will become non-functional. Gee thanks Logitech for turning my remote control into a shiny black doorstop.

Of course, they encourage me to buy the new and improved Logitech hub, which does basically the same thing. Swell. How long until THAT isn't supported and I have to buy something else?

I bought a remote. I didn't expect to be entering into a lease agreement.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How does it just die next year? The Link is a dumb device, with no internet reliance or “kill switch”, right? The smartphone app will continue to work until an OS update inevitably kills it.

Granted, Logitech taking its configuration tool offline will prevent any new changes or updates to your configurations.

So it’s dead ended. But I don’t understand how it will just go offline next year.

Did they mean they’re stopping support next March, and your use of it then come to an end some time after that?

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
It does rely on an internet connection to work. There was a time a couple of years back where I couldn't control my system with it for almost a month because their servers were messed up. Logitech is terrible about keeping up with iOS updates too. In April, the Link be a boat anchor.

It's infuriating to buy a remote control for almost $100 and have it just stop working after a few years. They offered $25 off the price of the hub as a consolation prize. How long will that work before they pull the same trick again? I wonder if my configuration from my Link will carry over to the Hub?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Well that's discouraging. I just bought an Elite this year, never considered this as being a possible outcome.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok. The reviews I read didn’t mention needing an internet connection or Logitech server for its functionality.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
FWIW, I’ve used the same Harmony One for about a decade. But, no internet required except for setup/configuration. And I think that’s still active.

Any smartphone-app based product is at the mercy of ongoing updates against the OS-makers schedule. Just the price and risk we pay for smart devices.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Ok. The reviews I read didn’t mention needing an internet connection or Logitech server for its functionality.

I didn't know either and I did a lot of research before I bought it.

The lousy thing about all this is that the only difference between the hub and the link is that it can control lights too. It's almost the exact same product. I don't know why they couldn't maintain legacy servers. I kind of expect a product like this to last more than three or four years.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
FWIW, I’ve used the same Harmony One for about a decade. But, no internet required except for setup/configuration. And I think that’s still active.

Any smartphone-app based product is at the mercy of ongoing updates against the OS-makers schedule. Just the price and risk we pay for smart devices.
Love my One. The online set-up/config site is still there. I hook up my One to it occasionally to update firmware etc.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
One other major irritation... Now every time I go to use the link it makes me reconnect the phone to it and then pops up a screen to tell me it's going to stop working in a few months. I have two screens of BS to click through every time I use it. I'm beginning to despise Logitech.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
That is good that they're doing the right thing. Hopefully they'll get rid of that annoying popup notification whenever you go to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks