What's new
World Wide Stereo

Cheap bedroom speakers (1 Viewer)

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to put in some fairly inexpensive speakers for the bedroom. I'm not looking for perfect sound in there, but I don't want it terrible either. I think I would like to put in some of the TB 3" or 4" 'full range' speakers in small enclosures to just have a nice little system to watch some DVDs. I'll get a sub later, so I don't need anything lower than 100Hz or so. It will not be played very loud, but I will be driving it with a Kenwood VR6050 receiver. What drivers and box sizes would you recommend? I'm looking to do all 5 speakers, but I may end up using a pair of Infinity RS2's for the fronts. I may just use them on the B channel for 2 channel stereo and the 5 others for movies.

Thanks,
Dennis

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Allan's right. The W3-871S is a surprising driver. Placed in the right enclosure with a simple BDSC network they sound superb. 5 ELF1.5's and a small sub with a 10" or 12" driver crossed at 100Hz would work great.

AllanRW

Second Unit

6.5” (W) X 7.5” (H) X 7.25” (D)
This is the cabinet I shot this driver in.
These graphs are a single driver not the 1.5 or Super Elf.
But just to show you the 871S out put.

Al

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. I will probably want to go with a single driver for now to keep the box as small as possible. Where do I get the 871? I didn't see it at PE. I guess CreativeSounds? I guess this is the driver Frank and Brian have used as a single driver 'bose-buster'. How have those worked out?

The research I've briefly done has led me to a w4-656S in a 1.5 liter box. Keeps the size small (4.5W x 7H x 3D internal). Any thoughts on that driver if I can't find the 871? Would the 4" driver be any better than the 3"?

The 1.5 or Super Elf idea would be nice if I can get away with the larger size (and cost) though. Actually the cost is very good, I'm just trying to hide all the expense from my wife. The smaller it is, the better. So far she's allowed me to use towers and a big sub in the living room, but I can't get away with that in the bedroom. She may notice a new receiver in the bedroom in a week or so though :)

Thanks for the ideas.
Dennis

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
I was, uh, abbreviating his last name... Yeah that's it. Or maybe just a brain fart... Sorry Hank.

Thanks for the info. I'll order some in the next couple days and give them a shot. I'm hoping my son decides he likes them and then I'll have to give him a pair and move to a little bigger box once my wife is confortable with any speakers in there. If I keep the pattern up long enough, HE12.1's all around... :)

Brian, what size did you make the cabinets on those 871's? I'm assuming you just wired them fullrange with no crossover.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dennis,

Since this is Hank's and my design that we sell, I don't give out too much in the way of specifics for them. I will tell you that they are roughly 2L vented enclosures and are run fullrange. For a 2 channel system they work great wired to the speaker level high pass output of the plate amps that PE sells. Also, I've used them in a 5.1 system in which the Receiver/DVD player combo had a fixed 120Hz XO with very good results.

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry about that. I didn't see the RAD Micro's when I looked at your page earlier. Looks nice and I won't ask for specifics then. Your finish is much nicer than what I will be doing with this set. Mine are going to be just painted MDF with a grill cloth sock over them. I'm going to order the drivers today and decide later this week if I want to go vented or sealed. Thanks again for the help.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dennis,

No problem at all. I have used them in sealed enclosures as well and they don't sound bad that way either. Actually, the first time I heard the drivers at all was at the DIY Atlanta event last year. They were mounted in some old Radio Shack cubes that had been modified to hold them. I don't remember the dimensions, but the enclosure couldn't have been more than 1L sealed and heavily stuffed. They were working in conjuction with the old $99 powered PE sub, running off of the speaker level inputs/outputs. Everyone there was amazed at how good the combination sounded based on the money invested.

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
I think I've narrowed down what I will do. I really wanted to stay at a max of 2L sealed or so with the 871's, but when I used WinISD, it convinced me to go a little bigger. I think I've settled on a 3L vented enclosure tuned to 80Hz. It gives me decent response with a small 1" diameter vent. It has a little bump in the 130 - 300Hz range and is still only down about 1.3dB at 100 Hz. The 5L tuned to about 72Hz would be great, but too big for this project.

I've ordered terminal cups, ports, and white grill cloth from PE and waiting for a final shipping price for the drivers. Should be able to do 6 speakers for about $100. Of course, this takes into account that I already have the wood, paint, and tools. They're just going to be white to help hide them and keep costs down for now, but I'm getting pretty happy about the project. Maybe I can start working on the cabinets this week. Anyone know the actual driver cutout dimensions for the 871?

Thanks for all the help and I'll take some pictures as I go.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dennis,

I use 3 11/16" for the diameter of the driver's frame cut 1/8" deep for the recess and a 3" through hole.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Dennis, I just built a 7.1 speaker system for a customer and to keep within his budget constraint, I used the Parts Express black ash vinyl to cover the MDF enclosures, including the 4 BozeBusters (same as RAD Micros). Keep your cabinets very smooth and the vinyl looks quite nice. The black contrasting with the silver cone of the drivers looks sharp.
Alter ego signing off.

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
I finally have an update... It took a long while, but the drivers came in yesterday. I had the boxes partially assembled. The sides and back were on, the front had the driver and port holes cut, but I wanted the driver so I could verify how much I needed to recess them. I got the recess done and the front is now glued on. I need to sand and paint some before I mount the drivers, but they should be done this week. Should I add any stuffing to these boxes? They are cool looking drivers and packaged very well.

I'm only working on the first 5 so far, but I ordered 7. The first ones are going to be white, but I'm taking Hank's advice on the other 2 with the PE Black Ash vinyl laminate. I'll do those when I'm done. I have the sides assembled for those cabinets, but I have to attach the front and back. I did learn a lot on this so far. Make the front and back a little bigger and just flush cut with the router. Much faster than trying to get those just perfect. Also, has anyone noticed that MDF makes a bit of dust? :)

Thanks for all the help and I'll post pics when I'm done.

Dennis

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Well there goes Brian's trade secret right out the door. Too bad.
MDF dust? What..cough..gasp..choke..dust?
Damn, someone's actually taking my advice? Imagine that!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks