What's new

Cinerama Seven Wonders of the World - Flicker Alley in 2014 (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Yes, they do. They've released four of them the last couple years, all Smilebox: This Is Cinerama, Windjammer: The Voyage of Christian Radich, Cinerama Holiday, and South Seas Adventure.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Good news about the Cinerama features.

But what's really caught my eye is a proposed Mack Sennett Keystone (Vol. 1). Does this mean that the hinted Mack Sennet Collection will be released on a volume by volume basis in relation to how the first one sells? I was hoping for one big mega-collection, but I suppose this will do for now.

House of Mystery looks interesting. Might pick that one up.

And is Flicker Alley seriously considering selling an entire blu-ray devoted to a single Chaplin Mutual short? Why not several? Might have to pass on that one.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
JoHud said:
Good news about the Cinerama features.

But what's really caught my eye is a proposed Mack Sennett Keystone (Vol. 1). Does this mean that the hinted Mack Sennet Collection will be released on a volume by volume basis in relation to how the first one sells? I was hoping for one big mega-collection, but I suppose this will do for now.

House of Mystery looks interesting. Might pick that one up.

And is Flicker Alley seriously considering selling an entire blu-ray devoted to a single Chaplin Mutual short? Why not several? Might have to pass on that one.
They've already said that the Chaplin release will be all 12 shorts, per David Shepard:

"It will be a 5-disc box set in a steelcase. 2 Blu-Ray discs and 2 DVDs of the twelve comedies and a new documentary on Chaplin's beginnings and the restorations.

Ten of the films are as good as they are going to get. However, we are still awaiting (hoping for) new scans from better material of EASY STREET and THE RINK from Italy, where the clocks apparently run on geologic time."

I suspect (but do not know) that the Mack Sennett release will be the same. My impression is that those are the specific shorts highlighted in their schedule for the release but not the only film on the release.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
That's encouraging, thanks. I figure the Mack Sennett set will include multiple shorts due to the title of the set being included, but there was no mention of a set in that Chaplin news article provided by blu-ray.com. However, if David Shepard says a big set is coming, I have no reason to doubt it.

Edit: Looks like blu-ray.com was indeed misinformed here
Michael,Thanks for getting in touch with us. Blu-ray.com is the one in-the-wrong here. There article was published based on our calendar we sent out, and they did not confer with us before publishing. It will be a 5-disc set in SteelBook that includes 12 Chaplin Mutuals. We are following up with Blu-ray.com presently to get it fixed. Let us know if you have any other questions.Thanks Again,Josh Morrison

Strohmaier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Strohmaier
All Cinerama titles will be in SmileBox with curtains, overtures, intermissions and lots of extras.

heres a trailer festival:

Seven Wonders

Search For Paradise

70mm Cinerama titles (no release is set yet):

Holiday In Spain (aka Scent of Mystery)

and we just finished work on Golden Head (the "lost" Cinerama film)

Dave

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Dave - if the 70mm films get video releases, is it all likely that there would be "flat" non-Smilebox versions on the disc(s) seeing that they were not shot with the 3-strip Cinerama process? Or is that simply too cost prohibitive?

Strohmaier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Strohmaier
I am for a scratch and sniff cards for Holiday In Spain if the distributor (not yet assigned) will agree.

Films will only go out (in SmileBox the way they were seen at Cinerama theaters in the roadshow releases.

Yes they were shot in 70mm but only meant for a curved screen -in the original release that is. Golden head never played on a flat screen that we know of as the show only lasted a few weeks at Cinerama theaters before being pulled.

Scent of Mystery went out on a flat screen or two under that title but Holiday In Spain only went out to curved screen Cinerama theaters so that is the only version we have. Scent of Mystery version no longer exists in any form and the soundtrack print master is lost as well.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Great Trailers! I saw many of these Cinerama travelogues at the Stanley Warner in NYC when they came out (my parents were big film buffs).

BTW, I though you would appreciate this LP cover which features the Stanley Warner theater during the run of Search For Paradise.

28148184871894192kri9uMEc.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Won't these releases leave THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS' GRIMM as the sole unreleased Cinerama film (hint hint hint...)?

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Dave,

If you were doing Brothers Grimm, could the price be reasonable and the quality still high?

Just curious, if you can answer.

Thanks for all of the great work. I wanted to see Holiday in Spain for decades, seeing it at the Dome in 2012 was a big thrill, waiting eagerly for the Blu-ray (and all of the rest as well.)

Bob

greg.shoemaker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gregory Shoemaker
I attended a showing of THE BEST OF CINERAMA way back when (1962 per IMDB) at the wondrous (demolished to create a parking lot) Paramount Theater in Toledo, Ohio. The film consisted of clips and audio from all of the Cinerama movies which featured Lowell Thomas as narrator. Does the picture and soundtrack elements still exist? Would this be a possible future Smilebox release? With the wonderful Flicker Alley releases of all of the 3-strip Cinerama movies now or soon to be available on Blu-ray, I can understand that restoring a film whose contents appear in other Cinerama releases would be a very low priority or not even a consideration. But, I am inquiring about the film nonetheless, as a Cinerama fan, just to learn of the movie's condition/existence, if anyone has access to such information. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MasonStorm@HTF
Recent bookmarks