What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Columbo Coming to Blu-ray on November 21, 2023. See Post #55! (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Amazon has discounted this boxset to $109.46. There is a chance it might be discounted lower between now and its November 21st release date.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
Frank Tarzi from Kino touches on the Columbo extras situation very briefly in this new interview here. He kinda slipped up and blurted out the words "legal reasons", and then quickly corrected himself by saying "unforeseen issues". Everyone involved in the creation of the extras has been paid in full, but even they don't know the reasons behind the cancelations. So... there's that.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Frank Tarzi from Kino touches on the Columbo extras situation very briefly in this new interview here. He kinda slipped up and blurted out the words "legal reasons", and then quickly corrected himself by saying "unforeseen issues". Everyone involved in the creation of the extras has been paid in full, but even they don't know the reasons behind the cancelations. So... there's that.

Loved this! I always learn stuff from these interview. Every film fan should be supremely appreciative of what KL does. And thank you doing the interview. And PS - like other mysteries that will never be solved, such as the final resting place(s) of Jimmy Hoffa, we will never know why the Columbo commentaries will never be released.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Loved this! I always learn stuff from these interview. Every film fan should be supremely appreciative of what KL does. And thank you doing the interview. And PS - like other mysteries that will never be solved, such as the final resting place(s) of Jimmy Hoffa, we will never know why the Columbo commentaries will never be released.
Looks like they were avoiding legal action against them.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Watched one on DVD the other day (The Conspirators) and felt that I have no problem with what the DVDs look like. I've bought the whole series twice already. :( It's now about $25 which is insane. (one of the best tv on blu ever right now, TZ is $35!!!! bought it years back)

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Price drop on Amazon, but the delivery date is 2-3 weeks after the release date (depending on chosen method). So they aren't shipping or delivering on the release date.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Amazon has shortened the delivery date (for me, day after release date).

Review on Dvdbeaver: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film12/blu-ray_review_161/columbo_70s_seasons_1_to_7_blu-ray.htm
"All episodes offer 'optional Music and Effects Tracks' plus the package has an episode guide booklet. So, no real new extras beyond what was on the DVDs that starting coming out in 2004. Yeah, commentaries would have been grand (like the Night Gallery sets) but I suspect the budget was not there. I am delighted with the new image quality."

As a soundtrack fan, I take umbrage with the dismissal of the MFX, and it's odd he isn't aware that commentaries were commissioned and jettisoned.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Price drop on Amazon, but the delivery date is 2-3 weeks after the release date (depending on chosen method). So they aren't shipping or delivering on the release date.
That would not be true. Received mine yesterday (I preordered from Kino when first announced.)

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
That would not be true. Received mine yesterday (I preordered from Kino when first announced.)
Firstly, I said it was the delivery date shown on Amazon, not Kino which always says they deliver early. I don't think retailers (aside from Kino) are allowed to deliver before the release date, but regardless, Amazon updated the delivery time closer to the release date.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just checked Kino’s site and see they discounted the set to $104.96. But was surprised to see Amazon has it for $84.99. But of course, one would wait for the release date via Amazon.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
So I got it for Christmas. Getting it for free was okay and I watched the episodes. Transfers are great and it's interesting to play with the music/FX track for moments like when Jack Cassidy kills Barbara Colby in "Murder By The Book" but the absence of you-know-what still I have to say makes this set feel naked and incomplete.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I've finished going through Season 1 and something is clearly wrong with the sound mixing on these episodes, specifically "Dead Weight" and "Blueprint For Murder". More than once, I have seen multiple scenes where the background noise is much too loud and is drowning out the dialogue or making it harder to follow and that is especially true in a scene in "Blueprint For Murder" at the 51 minute mark where Columbo is talking to a foreman on a noisy construction site. I then pulled out the old DVD to compare and it's not even close. On the DVD the dialogue is front and center and you can properly follow things but not so on the Blu-Ray.

So in addition to giving us a set that didn't deliver on promised bonus content, Kino can now add substandard audio to what should have been the most important TV release of 2023.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Could this audio issue be due to the effects only track? Or is there an option to play the original mono audio track?

I was looking at the review on Amazon, it’s been mostly positive for the improved image and color quality. And one review commented on thr improved sound quality. Of course, those reviews could only be for one or two episodes. I’m going to buy this anyway to see and hear for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks