What's new

Connecting optical cables? Ridges on the top or on the side? (1 Viewer)

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I have a Onkyo TX-NR575 and my son ruined one of my optical inputs. Which direction do the ridges go when putting it into the receiver slot...up or to the side? Even this input seems a little iffy to me.
Thanks

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
The diagram doesn't show which way, it just shows which ports and is not close up. Since my son tried to push them in both ports, it's hard to feel which way it goes. Surely there is a standard. Thanks.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
Does that show the ridges should be on top? I can't tell. Thanks.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
upload_2017-10-16_22-13-36.jpeg

On the TX N575 the Toslink port is arranged so the top of the port is pointing to the left side of the receiver. The Toslink connector goes in with the angled side pointing to the left. The two ridges will be parallel to the top of the Toslink port. There should be very little resistance when pushing the connector into place if the orientation is correct. If feels like a lot of force is being applied then the connector is not orientated correctly.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does that show the ridges should be on top? I can't tell. Thanks.
I’m not understanding the fixation on the ridges. The port and plug have an obvious keystone / pyramidal shape. The flat side of the plug goes to the right and the pointier side goes on the left, as the Onkyo image shows. Edwin’s images show this shape for the cable.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I’m not understanding the fixation on the ridges. The port and plug have an obvious keystone / pyramidal shape. The flat side of the plug goes to the right and the pointier side goes on the left, as the Onkyo image shows. Edwin’s images show this shape for the cable.

Thanks. My eyesight isn't that good anymore and it is such a subtle difference, but I understand now and got it working. My receiver is down at the bottom of my shelves and the cords are so tight that I wasn't able to turn it around fully.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsystems82
Recent bookmarks