What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've owned the DVD of Born to Kill from the Film Noir Classic Collection Volume Two since 2005, but I never listened to Eddie's commentary on it. I need to rectify that soon.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I've owned the DVD of Born to Kill from the Film Noir Classic Collection Volume Two since 2005, but I never listened to Eddie's commentary on it. I need to rectify that soon.
Wonderful commentary. may be one of Eddie's best, with a periodical millinery alert. In his view, Claire Trevor's hat changes from one scene to the next constitutes a secondary aesthetic movement.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A fine commentary that I listened to again this afternoon. Eddie tells some great stories about Wise, Tierney and Trevor. He rags on Phillip Terry's performance and Paul Sawtell's musical score. I love this movie so much because we have not only a homme fatale but a femme fatale in the same film. In some ways, Claire Trevor's character is even more evil than Tierney. Tierney's character is psychotic, but Trevor's is not only a bit of that, but is evil inside too.
Wonderful commentary. may be one of Eddie's best, with a periodical millinery alert. In his view, Claire Trevor's hat changes from one scene to the next constitutes a secondary aesthetic movement.
It wasn't just the hat changes, but the costume changes too that he noted throughout the film. Over the years there has been several times, Eddie has talked about Trevor's hat and costume changes in her movies. He liked the way she looked in clothes.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
A fine commentary that I listened to again this afternoon. Eddie tells some great stories about Wise, Tierney and Trevor. He rags on Phillip Terry's performance and Paul Sawtell's musical score. I love this movie so much because we have not only a homme fatale but a femme fatale in the same film. In some ways, Claire Trevor's character is even more evil than Tierney. Tierney's character is psychotic, but Trevor's is not only a bit of that, but is evil inside too.

It wasn't just the hat changes, but the costume changes too that he noted throughout the film. Over the years there has been several times, Eddie has talked about Trevor's hat and costume changes in her movies. He liked the way she looked in clothes.
I liked the way she looked, period. Fascinating woman and artist.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I liked the way she looked, period. Fascinating woman and artist.
Claire Trevor is among my all-time favorite actresses. She's not quite Ms. Stanwyck or Ms. Raines, but she's close to those favorites. Trevor married well and died a very wealthy woman. She left a large endowment to one of those Southern California universities.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1713664927283.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, that audio commentary on Born to Kill has some audio excerpts from Robert Wise on it. His voice is very weak so it must have been recorded just prior to his death in 2005 at 91 years old.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
EGR visiting the set of They Drive By Night? Or HB visiting the set of Manpower? Manpower btw which is terrific, deserves an upgrade. The DVD is by current standards quite poor and almost anything by Raoul Walsh deserves special treatment. Robinson and Raft didn't get a along on Manpower so this is TDBN. I think its from one of the later scenes. It's been a while but I don't think they wore suits in Manpower.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1714216772185.png

This weekend's "Noir Alley" movie is "The Big Knife" (1955) starring Jack Palance, Ida Lupino, Rod Steiger, Wendell Corey, Jean Hagen, Shelley Winters and Everett Sloane. Directed by the underrated Robert Aldrich. The screenplay was adapted from a play by Clifford Odets. A Hollywood Noir that I haven't watched since the 2017 Arrow Blu-ray came out. I will revisit it this weekend. A relatively long noir at 111 minutes. Really looking forward to listening to Eddie's comments about this movie.

Updated TCM's Noir Alley 2024 Schedule:

12-02-23: Black Angel
12-09-23: I Wouldn't Be in Your Shoes
12-16-23: Beware, My Lovely
01-06-24: Pickup

01-13-24: I Died a Thousand Times
01-20-24: Stage Fright
01-27-24: Woman in Hiding
03-16-24: Le Samourai
03-23-24: Where Danger Lives
03-30-24: Pushover
04-06-24: Violence
04-13-24: The Breaking Point
04-20-24: Born to Kill

04-27-24: The Big Knife

05-04-24: Dark Passage
05-11-24: Follow Me Quietly
05-18-24: Take Aim at the Police Van (1960)
05-25-24: Bad for Each Other

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm looking forward to it, too. Great cast and a fine director not often given credit for his accomplishments.
Yup, during my adult years, I have recognized Robert Aldrich as being one of the best directors from his generation. It's similar to the lack of respect that Michael Curtiz received during and after his great film directing career. I'm not saying Aldrich is Curtiz, but both men were underrated for many years.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Yup, during my adult years, I have recognized Robert Aldrich as being one of the best directors from his generation. It's similar to the lack of respect that Michael Curtiz received during and after his great film directing career. I'm not saying Aldrich is Curtiz, but both men were underrated for many years.
Robert Aldrich was a great director. His films have a distinct feeling that is less based in the visual (except for Kiss Me Deadly...) and more in character and thematic consistencies (there's a distinct social
Agreed. Aldrich was always interesting. Great characters. Great casting instincts. Not as flashy visually as Curtis - except in Kiss Me Deadly - but love his rebellious side and the social criticism inherent in his work. Lots of identification with rebels, outsiders and the fight against "the man" be it in crime, prison, the west, the military, etc. All his films are worth seeing. Not all are amazing but he always had something to say. He had range. And balls.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks