What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Bringing Up Baby (1938) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Whatever, but I thought Grant was great in both "Bringing Up Baby" and "Arsenic and Old Lace". I think the major problem with the latter film is that Boris Karloff wasn't allowed to be in the film instead of Raymond Massey. That kind of ruin the plot's running joke in the film.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This may end up being a title, like Philadelphia Story, where Criterion created a master from a source outside of whatever holdings Warner had. It’ll be interesting to see when the “about the transfer” notes come out what the actual source element used was.
Whatever the source, it would either be from, or be available to WB. Nothing occurs in a vacuum.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
We knew this day was coming, after they released The Philadelphia Story and His Girl Friday it was only a matter of time before this classic would get it's time in the spotlight.
Not to mention "Holiday". The Hepburn/Grant Criterion Collection is now complete except for "Sylvia Scarlett" which is a long shot.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
The RKO catalog is hit or miss. The multitude of companies that had acquired the library before they ended up at Turner did horrible jobs maintaining the negatives. That's why they're still so many titles that aren't available in HD let alone Blu-Ray. I don't know in what kind of shape "Sylvia Scarlett" is in, but it wouldn't surprise me if it needs a lot of work.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
I like this cover better than most of their recent classic film covers (Now Voyager worked,) but really just because it doesn't turn me off. I didn't double dip on Destry Rides Again due to the cover and having the German release.

Covers are not a reason for me to not buy a title, but they can be a reason--coupled with a remarkably improved transfer- for me to multiple purchase.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I didn't double dip on Destry Rides Again due to the cover and having the German release.

I gotta say, I delayed that double dip on my end for a while and almost didn’t, and then I had an extra coupon so I went for it - on video presentation quality alone, it was worth it.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I like this cover better than most of their recent classic film covers (Now Voyager worked,) but really just because it doesn't turn me off. I didn't double dip on Destry Rides Again due to the cover and having the German release.

Covers are not a reason for me to not buy a title, but they can be a reason--coupled with a remarkably improved transfer- for me to multiple purchase.

Criterion is very creative when it comes to their covers, they don't just always use the original poster or go overboard with photoshop like some studios do.

I don't know if you know about Fritz Nilsen, he's the HTF custom cover designer. If you don't like what the studio/company released, Fritz will gladly make you one that you will like. He's done lots of covers for members on here, myself included.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Why? We wouldn’t have all the great bonus features if it came from Warner’s. As for quality, it’ll be pretty much as perfect.

We might not great the same features, but it wouldn't be bare-bones. In 2005, Warner released a 2-disc edition on DVD. It included a Bogdanovich commentary (which is undoubtedly the same one that will be on the Criterion), as well as two documentaries: Cary Grant: A Class Apart and The Men Who Made the Movies: Howard Hawks. I'd be very surprised if these wouldn't have appeared on a hypothetical WAC Blu-ray. Not to mention the short and cartoon that were on the DVD.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
We might not great the same features, but it wouldn't be bare-bones. In 2005, Warner released a 2-disc edition on DVD. It included a Bogdanovich commentary (which is undoubtedly the same one that will be on the Criterion), as well as two documentaries: Cary Grant: A Class Apart and The Men Who Made the Movies: Howard Hawks. I'd be very surprised if these wouldn't have appeared on a hypothetical WAC Blu-ray. Not to mention the short and cartoon that were on the DVD.

Back in 2005, WB could have made more effort into both Bringing Up Baby and The Philadelphia Story's Special Edition releases. Aside from the commentaries and trailers, WB didn't make any featurettes on the making of either film which they still were doing in the early 2000's; WB must of not thought/considered these two films worthy of such a thing. We should be very thankful and grateful that Criterion has released these two iconic films and not WAC as they might be as insightful as we might like them to be, Criterion however does make the effort to create decent insightful features that WAC would be sorely missing.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I have yet to see a Criterion presentation of a classic film that isn't the best around. WAC is great too, but I can't imagine the difference between them amounting to much. Plus, like others said, extras.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have yet to see a Criterion presentation of a classic film that isn't the best around. WAC is great too, but I can't imagine the difference between them amounting to much. Plus, like others said, extras.
Frankly, I doubt there is any difference presentation-wise between Criterion and WA. Criterion will probably have more extras, but at a higher price point.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Will the missing dialogue be in this release???????

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks