What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Day Of The Triffids (1963) (2 Viewers)

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
What is the best copy out there for this film? I know there is no Blu-ray yet, but am looking for a widescreen edition.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
As far as I know, the only releases that exist are bootlegs. Recommending one would be against HTF rules (and they're probably all crappy anyway).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The "best" DVD I've found is from a quasi-bootleg company called "Cheesy Flicks" (they claimed everything they released was PD - but... no, it wasn't). It's flat WS (aka non-anamorphic), is in "good enough" shape (read - watchable but only a marginal improvement over any of the P&S releases I've seen), and is long OOP. You can find that transfer on youtube.

Glenn Erikson (aka cinesavant) has some information here (and mentions that "Cheesy Flicks" release):

and, sadly, a report of the passing of Mike Hyatt, who was personally restoring the film, here:

I've not seen anything else but absolutely know if a new, remastered, release comes out he'll be the first to trumpet its arrival.

I own a copy of the BBC mini-series mentioned in the above link but haven't yet watched it.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
It’s so sad this hasn’t gotten a proper release. It’s a classic! I need to check out the BBC version as I seem to recall it was available to stream a while ago.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I could have sworn Day of the Triffids had been released, but now realize I was confusing it with Night of the Lepus.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
If you’re interested:
The original movie is streaming on Tubi and YouTube, the 1981 BBC version is apparently on Pluto and the 2009 TV version (BBC?) is on YouTube.
Has anyone ever read the original story by John Wyndham?

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
I picked up a copy (DVD) Widescreen, on Amazon France today. Hopefully it will be a decent transfer. It says it is a Special Edition. We shall see.

Attachments

• 818qcMKoHVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    818qcMKoHVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 34

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
There is also an Italian Edition on Amazon Italy.

Attachments

• 71XJkJsDhGL._AC_SL1024_.jpg
    71XJkJsDhGL._AC_SL1024_.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 71UzvmVVbhL._AC_SL1092_.jpg
    71UzvmVVbhL._AC_SL1092_.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 26

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mike was my assistant on two projects, and I could never have asked for a more dedicated or professional comrade.

He owned Triffids and had been working tirelessly to clean the OCN for the past decade - by hand. He was a perfectionist, who would not go digital.

He will be incredibly missed.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Has anyone ever read the original story by John Wyndham?
Yes! I was first introduced to 'Triffids' at school and went on to read many more of his particularly British stories. This foray into Sci Fi led me to Asimov and Clarke and is probably why I enjoy so many Sci Fi films....

Last edited:

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
He wanted a lot of money for Triffids which is why nobody went for the dangling fish on the pole unfortunately. I really hope someone will release the film in his memory someday

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Mike was my assistant on two projects, and I could never have asked for a more dedicated or professional comrade.

He owned Triffids and had been working tirelessly to clean the OCN for the past decade - by hand. He was a perfectionist, who would not go digital.

He will be incredibly missed.
So Robert, what happened to all of his work? Is someone else picking up the torch and running to complete it in Mikes name? That seems like the thing to do, to not let all of Mikes work go for naught!!!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So Robert, what happened to all of his work? Is someone else picking up the torch and running to complete it in Mikes name? That seems like the thing to do, to not let all of Mikes work go for naught!!!
Don't know what his situation was. No family of which I'm aware. His brother passed away several years ago.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Sometimes "perfectionist" is mental illness.
I hope the film gets to good hands and finally comes to light again.
I last saw it a few years ago when Monster Bash in PA showed the laserdisc of the film.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Mike Hyatt was a wonderful man and a dear friend for thirty years. He was a sweet, kind, and gentle soul.

Mike1.jpg

We first met in 1994 when he was at Goldwyn Studios working on MY FAIR LADY and had so many great times together over the years.

Here's Mike with Jack Theakston and myself in 2010 when he visited New York to premiere his work-in-progress 35mm restoration of DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS at MoMA. And later in 2017 with Greg Kintz during a delightful day spent sightseeing in Griffith Park. There were fascinating conversations about film, restoration projects and always lots of laughs. He had a wonderfully dry and infectious sense of humor.

Mike2-2010.jpg
Mike3-2017.jpg

His sudden passing came as a shock to all of us. He is missed.

Rest assured; he made his wishes known on TRIFFIDS. Please ask no questions as I can say nothing further at this time.

May he rest in peace.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mike Hyatt was a wonderful man and a dear friend for thirty years. He was a sweet, kind, and gentle soul.

We first met in 1994 when he was at Goldwyn Studios working on MY FAIR LADY and had so many great times together over the years.

Here's Mike with Jack Theakston and myself in 2010 when he visited New York to premiere his work-in-progress 35mm restoration of DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS at MoMA. And later in 2017 with Greg Kintz during a delightful day spent sightseeing in Griffith Park. There were fascinating conversations about film, restoration projects and always lots of laughs. He had a wonderfully dry and infectious sense of humor.

His sudden passing came as a shock to all of us. He is missed.

Rest assured; he made his wishes known on TRIFFIDS.

Please ask no questions as I can say nothing further at this time. May he rest in peace.
Ahhh, Mike—

Wonderful guy, great and passionate assistant. And yes, his sense of humor.

We once brought him to a meeting with studio execs - half women - and someone asked me how we were able to handle certain problems.

Before I could speak, he averred “We can rotoscope. If you like, during the scene at the water with Kirk, we can have lightning bolts coming out of Jean’s nipples.”

Umm, okay…

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks