What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Deadwood Blu Ray Versions (1 Viewer)

sullum

Agent
Real Name
Sam
Hi. Does anyone know what differences (mainly Extras) there are between the Deadwood blu ray versions: "The Original Series" in the light colored box. And "The Ultimate Collection" in the dark colored box. Amazon is selling The Ultimate Collection as region free, but I think that it has less extras.
Thanks in advance!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There are technically 3 versions of the US set with identical 13 Blu-rays with a substantial amount of extras
The original 2010 set withe the Digibook packaging
The 2013 re-release with 3 normal Amaray Cases
A 2015 re-re-release with a Digital copy added.

The AUS and UK releases are 9 disc Bluray sets both labelled as Ultimate Collections. While these sets are cheap and region free, mot only do they drop all the extras, but depending on which set you get (the original or the sort of repaired set) there are multiple episodes with mild to horrible audio issues. I can't strongly suggest avoiding any of those items.

The UK and AUS have been livid for years at getting jobbed and robbed and many literally trashed these sets and re-ordered the US set

For those with the 2010 and 2013 sets who just want hte digital copy there;s no reason to re-buy the set or the codes off of a reseller -- if you contact HBO they have been pretty easy to work with to give digital codes

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I can attest to the audio issues on the UK release. Reviews were somewhat mixed so I took a chance - after all it was very inexpensive (IIRC ~$15 shipped at the time). Several episodes have sound sync issues. It's just enough off to be annoying. I noticed it right off but can see some people never noticing. It's all about how sensitive to that issue you are. I'll be replacing that set at some point but also just might live with my DVDs as they look pretty good and, while I really enjoy the series, it's not one I rewatch often.

sullum

Agent
Real Name
Sam
Thanks. I've heard about the sound issues, but I couldn't verify what extras were on the "region free" version. Thanks again.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks. I've heard about the sound issues, but I couldn't verify what extras were on the "region free" version. Thanks again.

The US sets have 3 discs with the episodes + 1 disc of extras per season and a Special Extras Dis for the Complete series
The Uk set loses all 4 bonus discs so virtually all the extras. In addition they got the bad audio discs so it's not evern like they just ported the US episode discs to the US and AUS. They redid the discs for AUS and made multiple errors then did replacement discs by the time the UK set released and still left at least one episode screwed up and some people still think there are other issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim86
Recent bookmarks