What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Did Cheers S1 and Frasier S1 Sell Well Enough To Expect Season 2? (1 Viewer)

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
As I am not clear on what qualifies as a "success" for TV on DVD, I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not Cheers: Season One and Frasier: Season One sold well enough to convince Paramount to release both the shows' second seasons. Or if anyone knows anything about Paramount's plans in that regard. Thanks!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Even though the Cheers set really didn't have any "worth while" extras, I'd definitely be buying all the sets if they release them.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
We're in the process of completing Frasier season 1. I am reminded of how much I loved the show. I can't wait to get season 2 of both series.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I do know that in April, David Lee (director, co-creator) and Joe Keenan (writer) recorded a commentary track for the season 2 Frasier episode "The Matchmaker."

Roger Metcalf

Auditioning
I'm a Retail Manager for Cheers in Boston, and I believe the word from Paramount is that Season 2 of Cheers will be released on DVD sometime near October/November.

RM

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Ah...a month later, but essentially the same discussion! :D

Wait until early Sept., and Paramount will let us know what their November releases are. I fully expect Cheers S2 and Frasier S2 to be among them.

Keep in mind that I know nothing, and this is just my opinion. Readers of the thread about the Psycho sequels will understand what I'm saying here.

But if I'm a betting man, I bet Novemember.

John Simon

Second Unit
I still haven't heard a thing about the second season of these shows. Anyone know anything? And any chance of speeding up the release schedule? It'll take 5 years to release the series at this schedule.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't seem like it will be this year for the S2's of these shows. If they were, I think it would have been known by now, since Dec. releases like South Park S3 and JKX S1 are well-known. I'll look for them in 2004.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
They didn't make the November schedule.

My guess, and it's just that, is we'll see them in Jan/Feb. 2004.

-Scott

John Simon

Second Unit
I just don't see what the reason is for delays on these two shows, unless they sold under expectations. The first season of Cheers had very few extra features and one would think future season would be similar. If a show like Friends (which is still being made) can be released every 3-4 months, why can't a old classic like Cheers keep the same schedule.

And I do hope this has nothing to do with sales, because if so, I fear this could become a growing and disturbing trend of studios regarding TV on DVD.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Sales were fine, by all accounts. Paramount's got a lot of other releases hitting, not the least of which is some guy with a hat. I'm only speculating, but they probably made a business decision to concentrate on that (and Spongebob, and Shogun, and any specialness for Ft13 films that is supposedly gonna be announced today, and South Park S3 since they now own that, and Lucy S1 set now that they can be collected, and Jamie Kennedy Experiment, and gobs and gobs of cool films that aren't collected in box sets).

I have zero doubt that we'll get S2 of each of these, and probably sooner than later. Just wait for it. I understand how and why folks get nervous when they hear nothing, but this isn't a "Larry Sanders" or "Mary Tyler Moore" situation at all, at least to my understanding.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I don't have confirmation from Paramount, but I'm starting to hear a Jan. 6th date for both Cheers S2 and Frasier S2.

Cover art for both is at TVShowsOnDVD; sorry but I can't link to the graphics here (bandwidth costs). But drop by if you want to take a gander at them - both cover art and inside-the-digipak art (including disc art, although it's hard to see the discs on Cheers S2 because the shot is angeled).

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Strictly Top Shelf: The Guys Behind The Bar; Cliff's Notes: The Wisdom of Cliff Clavin; Carla The Comback Queen: Insults for Every Occasion; Di Another Day: Diane Chambers From A - Z; Gag Reel: Bloopers From Season 2.
This is extremely disappointing as it seems all but one of the special features are merely clips of season 2 edited together. I hope the blooper reel is long enough to be worth it. I'm also very annoyed they named one of the features of an 80s sitcom after a recent James Bond movie.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
This is extremely disappointing as it seems all but one of the special features are merely clips of season 2 edited together. I hope the blooper reel is long enough to be worth it.
Maybe they have to save the rest of the stuff for 9 or so other sets that should be released before it's all said and done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks