What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Difference between 1080p and upscale to 4K (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Hello.
I wanted to ask something from the more knowledgable members here because I don't know much of these things.
I currently have a 24'' monitor where I watch my blurays.
I don't have a TV, and I'm thinking of buying a larger monitor for my pc (43''), where I will also watch my blurays.

I don't own a 4K bluray player, nor I would buy one, or start buying 4K discs.
So, my question is:
Should I buy a 1080p 43'' monitor or a 4K one?
I mean, is there a big difference in the image between 1080p which is the content of the bluray, and its upscale to 4k?

Some people suggested to me to buy the 4K monitor, because since I will be using it for my pc and I'm sitting in front, it would be good to have 4K resolution for working.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hello.
I wanted to ask something from the more knowledgable members here because I don't know much of these things.
I don't have a TV, and I'm thinking of buying a larger monitor for my pc (43''), where I will also watch my blurays.

So, my question is:
I mean, is there a big difference in the image between 1080p which is the content of the bluray, and its upscale to 4k?

Some people suggested to me to buy the 4K monitor, because since I will be using it for my pc and I'm sitting in front, it would be good to have 4K resolution for working.

The difference between true 4k and an uprezzed HD image on a small screen will be minimal, although the price differential between the two panels will also be minimal. The difference you may see could be via HDR, if the monitor in question can support one of the HDR processes.

Also keep in mind that there is very little true HDR out there. Most simply has heightened contrast, and is a placebo.

Smoke & mirrors?

Yes.

You’ll see a major difference at (minimally) 55 inches.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
If the monitor is used for PC work one sits usually a lot closer than for watching movies. On my 30 inch PC monitors (used for colour critical work and regular computer stuff) the difference between the standard 2.5K and 4K is not subtle at all. So if you can use 4K when working on the PC go for the 4K. If you don't care and watch mainly 1080p movies from quite some distance 4K is not relevant. But 2.5K would be better than 1080p for all the windows and text in PC mode.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Hello.

So, my question is:

Not even taking movie watching into consideration, the increased pixel density on a 4K display makes it much nicer for day-to-day work than a 1080p display IMO, particularly at that size.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Thank you for your replies.
I'll be working many hours on my pc, so I guess i should go for the 4K one.
I don't have many choices of 4K pc monitors here in Greece (I don't want to order from abroad, because of the customs).
This site is in greek, but if anyone has any of these models and can comment on quality, please do.
https://www.lambda-tek.gr/shop/?region=GR&catid=222&searchString=&ordering=&orientation=up&mfr_uid=&keywords=&minprice=&maxprice=&show=&pFilter.DVIconnectors=&pFilter.HDMIconnectors=&pFilter.Resolution=3840x2160&pFilter.Size=43&pFilter.VGAconnectors=&itemsperpage=50&Filter=συνέχεια

Don't know what to notice most.
About that contrast ratio, i guess the bigger it is the better, right?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
As much as I don't encourage brand allegiance, LG is at the forefront when it comes to 4K panels, of the brands listed.

Thanks. Yes, this is what I was thinking of first too.
Not that I know anything much, it's just a more famous brand.

edit:
Hmm. Now I saw that my video card supports a maximum digital resolution of 2560x1600. This is 2K, right?
So, i guess I should also buy a new video card if I want to see 4K!!

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yep, you'll need a new video card that's 4K capable - 3480x2160 @ 60Hz.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
So, i guess I should also buy a new video card if I want to see 4K!!

A 4k videocard can be had for a lot less than 100 Euros and the added screen real estate and resolution is great for PC use. If you want to go even bigger you can use a TV as a desktop monitor which would also allow you to have HDR capability. I am using a 55" TV as my main monitor myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks