What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Directors DIRECTOR FILMOGRAPHY - The Films of ORSON WELLES (1 Viewer)

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
The Lady from Shanghai (1947) :star: :star:
Citizen Kane (1941) :star: :star: :star: :star:

Seen: 2
Own: 0

Wow, I thought I would have seen more than that.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Orson Welles' Magic Show (1985) (TV)
The Spirit of Charles Lindbergh (1984)
Filming 'Othello' (1978)
F for Fake (1974)
The Other Side of the Wind (1972)
London (1971)
The Deep (1970)
The Merchant of Venice (1969) (TV)
The Immortal Story (1968) :star::star:1/2
Vienna (1968)
Chimes at Midnight (1965)
The Trial (1962) :star::star:1/2
The Fountain of Youth (1958) (TV)
Touch of Evil (1958) :star::star::star::star:
Portrait of Gina (1958) (TV)
Orson Welles and People (1956) (TV)
Mr. Arkadin (1955)
Moby Dick Rehearsed (1955) (TV)
The Tragedy of Othello: The Moor of Venice (1952) :star::star::star:
Macbeth (1948) :star::star::star:
The Lady from Shanghai (1947) :star::star::star::star:
The Stranger (1946) :star::star:
The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) :star::star::star:1/2
Citizen Kane (1941) :star::star::star::star:
Too Much Johnson (1938)
The Hearts of Age (1934) :star::star:1/2

schmidtt

Agent
Real Name
Todd
CUCKOO-CLOCK

ORSON WELLES

F for Fake (1974)-

Welles Top 5
1. Touch of Evil
2. Citizen Kane
3. F for Fake
4. The Trial
5. The Magnificent Ambersons

ORSON WELLES

Filming 'Othello' (1978) +
F for Fake (1974) +++++
The Other Side of the Wind (1972)
The Deep (1970) +
The Merchant of Venice (1969) (TV) +++
The Immortal Story (1968) ++
Chimes at Midnight (1965) ++++
The Trial (1962) ++++
The Fountain of Youth (1958) (TV) +++
Touch of Evil (1958) +++++ (favourite)
Portrait of Gina (1958) (TV) +++
Mr. Arkadin (1955) +++
The Tragedy of Othello: The Moor of Venice (1952) ++
Black Magic (1949) (uncredited) +++
Macbeth (1948) ++
The Lady from Shanghai (1947) +++ (Orson's irish accent is unbearable, butchered but captivating)
The Stranger (1946) ++ (subpar conventional thriller with skinny Welles starring)
The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) +++ (probably not as remarkable in truncated form as it gets credit for)
Citizen Kane (1941) +++++

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Since no one has posted to this in five years I hope it's not one too many trips to the Welles, but since last month was the commemoration of his 100th birthday and since I spent a good part of it rewatching his films, annnnd since my avatar is what it is, I thought I'd have a go. I'll keep it to the features and try and keep the comments short.

Kane - I never call any movie the best ever but this one does come close. 4.0 stars

Ambersons - Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda. Watching RKO's "Reader's Digest" version it's still easy to see how great the 132 min pre-release version must have been. The world needs a damn good reconstruction of that version using the cutting continuity as a guide. I can't give the release version 4 stars so let's call it 3.5.

The Stranger - Not one of Welles' favorites, but it's still a solid little thriller that's Well(es) directed. 3.0 stars.

Lady From Shanghai - Plot schmot! It's about the sizzle not the steak! 4.0 stars.

MacBeth - Dark, dank and well....damp. Prehistoric looking sets and costumes that are sometimes distracting don't take away from a very effective and atmospheric film. 3.0 stars.

Othello - Half the length of the play but still great! The locations are fantastic as are most of the performances. Criterion is supposed to be releasing the "restored" version along with the original American release version soon. Perfection would be including the original European release version that won the grand prize at Cannes and is somewhat superior to the American version. 4.0 stars.

Arkadin - It's a mess! The comprehensive version is probably the best but it's still fun to compare the different versions. Welles blamed the cutting done by the producers but there are other strikes against it besides that, not the least of which is a leading man who just doesn't have what it takes! 2.5 stars.

Touch of Evil - Not perfect but perfectly cool! Heston is miscast and Weaver chews scenery like a beaver, but most of the performances are great and Welles delivers a very unsettling off kilter movie. The "Welles memo" restoration is probably the best cut, but again it's fun to compare the three versions. 3.5 stars.

The Trial - Welles tells you right away you're about to see a nightmare captured on film and if you go with that premise, it works very well! 4.0 stars.

Chimes at Midnight - Elements of several Shakespeare plays combined to tell the story of Falstaff. An exceptional film with wonderful performances. 4.0 stars.

Immortal Story - Made for French TV but I understand it did receive a theatrical release so I include it. A lovely looking, well directed film. 3.5 stars.

"F" For Fake - the genius is in the editing in an uneven and odd little film. It starts off well, but ends up spending too much time as a love letter to Oja Kodar. The final sequence about her and Picasso gets soooooooo tedious! 2.5 stars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks