What's new

discs from Mexico (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
I have noticed stickers on many of my blu rays: "made in Mexico." A new tax is proposed that would allow Mexico to pay for a wall to be built along the Mex/US boarder. I would be allowed to pay 20% more for the disc that is made in Mexico and imported in the US to cover that tax. How does this put the payment burden on Mexico?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully that'll mean more discs made in the US again. Technicolor's Mexico plant produced a LOT of defective discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In principle, something like this could be tied up in the legal system for a long time. In practice, something is only really the law of the land when it survives the supreme court at the federal level.

(With that being said).

Technically Technicolor also owns the former Cinram manufacturing facilities in Olyphant, Pennsylvania.

http://www.hughsnews.ca/technicolor-laying-off-96-at-olyphant-site-0055110

Quality control was just as lousy at this Olyphant plant, as the Mexico plants. (Cinram had lousy quality control overall for their dvd and bluray discs).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If Universal/Paramount/Warner/Disney move back their dvd/bluray manufacturing to Technicolor's american facilities (such as the former Cinram plant in Olyphant Pennsylvania, etc ...), then I don't expect the quality control to be any better than their current discs from Technicolor's mexican plants. (Technicolor's mexican plant manufactures discs with IFPI facility code KK*).

Fox and Lionsgate had their dvds/blurays manufactured at Cinram's american facilities for a long time. (These would correspond to dvd or bluray discs with IFPI facility code 2F* or 2U*). In my experience over the past 5+ years or so, I encountered the most defective dvd and bluray discs released by Fox, Lionsgate, and other movie companies which used Cinram to manufacture their discs.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I remember back in the day when a certain website that was never the bastion of quality criticism used to bash DVD transfers because the discs were marked "Made in Mexico".

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Another possibility is the big movie companies using this as an opportunity to "accelerate" the decline of the dvd/bluray/4kbluray market in america, and making streaming an even better value proposition for the average joe.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I don't see this happening. Mexico ranks 2nd for U.S. imports. They would respond in kind.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Trump is a negotiator with many years of experience in the real estate industry. In order to win concessions you always have to have something to negotiate. With Russia he has sanctions, with China Taiwan, South China Sea Islands, Currency multiplication and with Mexico the Wall, illegal immigration. There probably won't be a 20% tax/duty but the threat has to be on the table to get whatever Trump wants. If the 20% became reality production would move to the USA but I doubt is would create many jobs. DVD/Blu-ray replication does not seem like the type of industry Trump is trying bring back to the USA.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
4. No politics or religion. We do not permit the discussion of politics or religion at HTF. However, there is a narrow exception to this rule. If the subject matter of a movie or television show includes politics and/or religion, then they may be discussed insofar as they pertain to that specific movie or television show. We stress, however, that such discussions are carefully monitored and will be moderated if it appears that any participant is using this narrow exception to introduce a broader political or religious discussion than is warranted by the movie or television show under discussion. Also, anyone who has not seen a particular movie or television show is disqualified from discussing its political and/or religious content under this rule.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I must be the luckiest disc buyer in the world - probably 1500 DVDs and only two were defective. Everything else has been fine, including numerous Universal double-sided TV and movie sets. I've had 3 bad CDs in about 4000 titles (and in the past 18 months every single one of them was scanned into a computer). Had one defective Blu-ray out of about 600.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
4. No politics or religion. We do not permit the discussion of politics or religion at HTF. However, there is a narrow exception to this rule. If the subject matter of a movie or television show includes politics and/or religion, then they may be discussed insofar as they pertain to that specific movie or television show. We stress, however, that such discussions are carefully monitored and will be moderated if it appears that any participant is using this narrow exception to introduce a broader political or religious discussion than is warranted by the movie or television show under discussion. Also, anyone who has not seen a particular movie or television show is disqualified from discussing its political and/or religious content under this rule.
Then don't allow a politician thread as the 20% tax is. I am not political my response wasn't political only responding to another members concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks