What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Do you think individual movie fans help or hurt DVD releases? (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I was browsing through the studio feedback section, going through the older posts, and it occurred to me that there were certain titles referenced where I appeared to be the only person making posts to keep the thread current. One movie, a punk satire longtime HTF members are surely sick of me mentioning, I have been championing for two years before it placed in a poll of "most-wanted" titles, and two years since it placed in that poll.

I have begun to think that maybe I am hurting the film more than helping it. That people with the influence are looking on and seeing, "Oh, it's him again bellyaching about his favorite movie that nobody else knows about. Isn't that cute," and thus not taking the title into serious consideration because outwardly, it only looks like cranky ol' me wants it on DVD. It has reached a point where unless I see somebody else putting up a new post to support the film, I won't make any updated posts myself.

All of us have our cause celebre here at the forum, and we all know how loud or how often we have been tubthumping for those titles. Do most of you think that if there's one guy who's in the forefront for a movie that it helps the cause, or makes it look like a running joke?

I just wanna know if it's even worth me "putting out" any further for the movie I love.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
I think it would be more effective at this stage to send correspondence to the studio in question. That takes a little more time and effort, and you are guaranteed that at least one person will look at it.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I'd say just the opposite. The HTF is too fluid for anything to not get noticed. It is just a question of when.

For example, if you post something just before you leave work on Friday, hoping that by Monday you will see 1 zillion replies to it, you will probably be disappointed. Some members only get on line at work, and when they review what they have missed for the last three days the next Monday morning, it is easy for them to overlook it.

If you put something into a section that a lot of people don't go to, it will get ignored too, until something really hot comes up in that section. After that, members may just keep on looking, and posting after that you'd have a better chance.

I think this runs all over again with movie titles. I can scream upside down and sideways for 'Every Time We Say Goodbye', but a lot of people haven't even heard of it. Oh, Tom Hanks is in it. A no-name actor. :)

But hopefully, after his next movie comes out, we'll scream for the rest of them, and some studio exec will put it on a DVD.

It's very fluid, so you just have to go with the flow. Oh, when you figure out what that flow is, please let me know!

Glenn

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't know that an individual movie fan could hurt but I do get tired of movie fans of obscure and sometimes even dreadful films that no one likes constantly whining why HIS favorite is not on DVD yet when the obvious reason is that he (and maybe about 12 other people) is the only person who wants it.

Hey, we all have our personal favorites and I have dozens of titles that I would kill to see on DVD but realistically I realize there are movies with higher profiles and bigger fan bases that would would make more business sense (read profit) to release on DVD rather than my personal favorites. I realize DVDs are a business and do not exist solely to provide me with the films of my own personal choice.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If the request is done in a professional and respectful manner and without being too repetitive with the same individual requests, I see nothing wrong with it. However, if such requests are non-professional and are done so often that they border on "whining" then I believe such attempts could hurt a specific title.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks