What's new

Does anyone else think GRAVITY is overrated? (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
I watched this tonight with really high expectations, but found it to be a disapointment. Yes the special effects were good, but not any better than alot of films today. Sandra Bullock gave her usual standard performance. I would give an oscar to the people behind the sound effects, but after an hour and half of the earth spinning anf bodies spinning around ,I became bored. I know this is the opposite what alot of people say about the film, but its just my personel opinion. I'll take Ridley Scotts ALIEN over this anytime.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I enjoyed the film. Well made, suspenseful, etc. Much preferred Cuaron's Children of Men.
No, not the best movie of the year for me. I found Nebraska to have greater emotional and aesthetic value.
BTW, I saw Gravity on an XD screen, 3D, with Dolby Atmos sound. Quite an impressive presentation.

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, found it silly. But then again I can't stand George Clooney so I may be biased.

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
Saw this in the Arclight Cinerama Dome. Visually great but definitely overrated.

Not that it's a bad flick, just not "movie of the year" caliber.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
The cinematography was outstanding and thought Sandra Bullock's performance was very good as well. A shame I missed the IMAX 3D presentation as I am sure that really added to it. Overrated? Perhaps, but I did find it to be one of the best films I've seen recently.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ahollis said:
I really enjoyed it in IMAX and 3D.
So did I as I thought it was one of the best films I've seen in years. As far as it being overrated. Hell, you can make that argument for any great film as we view films subjectively with our various personal baggage. There hasn't been a film made yet that appeals to all of us at the same level. It's an impossible task.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Robert Crawford said:
So did I as I thought it was one of the best films I've seen in years. As far as it being overrated. Hell, you can make that argument for any great film as we view films subjectively with our various personal baggage. There hasn't been a film made yet that appeals to all of us at the same level. It's an impossible task.
Forrest Gump

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
There was only one way to watch a movie like this.

As far as it being overrated, not even close. All great films are going to have people who go against them but I feel rather confident saying that this movie will be remembered fifty years from now.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Impossible task for one movie to appeal to all.Never met anybody who didn't get a kick out of "Run, Forrest, run..." (with a crowd full of STOP)

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Michael Elliott said:
I feel rather confident saying that this movie will be remembered fifty years from now.
Why do you think that? Not being argumentative, just curious what makes you think it was that special.I liked it, but thought it was maybe too basic. Bullock didn't really annoy me too much like she normally does. I wanted more Clooney though. It was good, but I too prefer CHILDREN OF MEN.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
schan1269 said:
Impossible task for one movie to appeal to all.Never met anybody who didn't get a kick out of "Run, Forrest, run..." (with a crowd full of STOP)
It's a perfect example of what I've been talking about as many people think it's overrated and that it didn't deserve to win the Best Picture AA that year. Some have argued that Pulp Fiction or The Shawshank Redemption were better films.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
As I said in the official thread, it's the closest that most people will ever get to actual outer space. As much as I loved the movie, I'm really not sure I'll ever want to watch it at home. I can't say I disagree with your comments of it being rather basic. The story itself was pretty basic but I think it really broke grounds in regards to putting the viewer "into the action" unlike any movie that I can remember. On a technical level it's something that I feel will be studied years from now because it's pretty much impossible to see or know how it was done.

It wasn't my pick for the best movie of the year but it was an amazing achievement because of how "basic" it really was. Heck, it didn't even run that long nor did it try to be anything more than a 100% thrill ride, which I think it was a major success at.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
PF and TSR probably split the vote. But I don't think either of those films would have won against each other.Forrest Gump would not have beat either, one on one.But Forrest Gump had a wider audience than either.Audience is a poor predictor of Academy win anyway.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Robert Crawford said:
It's a perfect example of what I've been talking about as many people think it's overrated and that it didn't deserve to win the Best Picture AA that year. Some have argued that Pulp Fiction or The Shawshank Redemption were better films.
It's funny how the Oscar has ruined the reputation of many great films. GUMP seems to be bashed because of what didn't win the award. ORDINARY PEOPLE and DANCES WITH WOLVES are two other great films that get attacked not because they aren't great but because of who they beat out. I've gotta feeling that if THE WOLF OF WALL STREET doesn't win later tonight, whoever does win will get the same type of abuse ten years from now.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Margot Robbie swears off ever doing nudity again..."did it for Scorsese" Wolf won't win. Too explicit a movie. Can you imagine the movies in the next 5 years from America...if it does win?Hollywood might go French...

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
No movie, no work of art, can please everyone.
Forrest Gump gives me very bad feelings, and I really dislike it, not because it won Best Picture, but because it is so anti-intellectual.
The dumbing down of America is a sad state of affairs, and Gump, imo, celebrates it. This is my POV, which I know is not shared by others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ontocloud9
Recent bookmarks