What's new
World Wide Stereo

Does anyone have experience with 50-inch pc monitors? (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Hello.
I started this thread here, because i'd like to ask if anyone here has a 50 or above inch monitor and how is his experience with it.

I was thinking of buying one in the future for these reasons:

-I don't have a TV, and instead of buying a TV and a new monitor, thought to buy just one large monitor. I don't watch TV, but I'm watching a lot of movies (blurays, DVDs) so I would like to use it for this.
-I'm a music composer, so a large screen like that eases the use of music programmes, writing/reading scores etc.

maybe it sounds silly but, it doesn't hurt the eyes to sit in front of a large monitor like this, right?
And generally speaking, do you think it's a good idea?

(I currently have a 24-inch monitor with which I work and watch movies)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I have no experience with 50" P.C. monitors but many people have 50" TVs and that doesn't hurt their eyes. 24" is too small for watching movies so going big will be a major upgrade for you.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I have no experience with 50" P.C. monitors but many people have 50" TVs and that doesn't hurt their eyes. 24" is too small for watching movies so going big will be a major upgrade for you.

I'm sitting just in front of my 24'' monitor when i watch movies, but yes, i believe it will be even better,

I asked if it causes any eye problems because I will be sitting in front of the 50'' monitor probably 8-10 hours a day (for working - writing, using various software etc.).
With TV it's different. You don't sit in front of it, since you only watch shows, movies. You keep some certain distance.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I have a 28" 4K Monitor and it is fantastic. I have used a 32" as well and it is great as well. The key would be resolution anything less then 4K-5K would be a waste at 50". The biggest challenge is that you would want really fast refresh rates otherwise I image it would be tough on your eyes setting 2-3 feet away. 4-5ms would be best. If you are going to sit normalish TV range then you probably could get away with a normal TV. I would still get a 4K TV more pixels are always best for large screens. 30"-40" are the normal very large true monitor size. Example...

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-BDM4037UW-40-Inch-Curved-Monitor/dp/B01N4KA2EL/ref=sr_1_15?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1500913611&sr=1-15&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin:2633652011

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Somewhat different perspective).

One of my desktop computers is currently connected to an older 50" large screen tv via hdmi. I primarily use this setup to watch dvd isos, and sometimes play some older pc video games at 1080p resolution (such as Grand Theft Auto 3).

Sometimes I do spend hours on this computer, mostly writing computer code and scripts.

If I were to buy a new tv screen to do the same things, nowadays I would probably buy a larger 4K tv screen (ie. bigger than 50").

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
On a 4K screen (whether a generic tv or a legitimate bona fide computer monitor), I would also look for a new computer graphics card which can handle 4K resolutions easily for watching native 4K resolution video.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hello.
I started this thread here, because i'd like to ask if anyone here has a 50 or above inch monitor and how is his experience with it.
Are you thinking of putting a 50" display on your office desk?
If so, I think rather than eye strain, you should consider neck strain as may be craning your head around all day to survey the screen. To get a sense of his, go to the store and stand a foot or two from a 50" TV. That will give a sense of that.

On the flip side, if this is couch computing, then 50" is far too small to be enjoyable computing from 10' or farther.

Overall, it's not about size per se. My 27" iMac has more pixels than a 50" 4K monitor. So you can consider whether you want large physical space, large pixel space, or a compromise of very high resolution display with a smaller effective pixel/physical space.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Depends where you sit... as Dave said... on your desk you would find it uncomfortable I'm sure. A friend of mine had 65" on his desk and it was like sitting in the first row of a movie theater... looking straight up. If you are going to sit 6 to 8 feet away, then, no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks