What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
At the start of the 1940’s, Billy Wilder began a transition from straight up screenwriter to writer and director following displeasure of the way director Mitchell Leisen handled his and Charles Brackett’s script for Hold Back the Dawn (1941). Following his debut with The Major and the Minor (1942), Wilder attracted more attention and praise for the WWII thriller Five Graves to Cairo (1943), which helped to further cement his status as a reliable director; however, it was Double Indemnity that would take his career to the next level. Universal has released the movie several times over the years on DVD and Blu-ray, but Criterion has licensed the film for inclusion in its expansive collection for its UHD Blu-ray debut...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is this a 4K disc review? If so, is there any HDR applied? Thank you for your review as I almost bought this 4K release earlier this week, but my patience finally won out. I will purchase it next month during B&N's Criterion sale. Hopefully, Amazon will price match B&N. I'm really looking forward to watching this great movie again in 4K.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Does the Blu-Ray version (not the UHD version) contain the new remaster?

That is, for those not purchasing the UHD version, is this the best Blu-Ray version available?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Blu-ray included with this release does include the new transfer.
Perhaps, I missed it, but in the future, can you mention in your 4K reviews what type of HDR is being used or if HDR wasn't applied it is mentioned in your 4K reviews? Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I'm very happy this release comes in a standard Criterion case. I was concerned it would be a sleeved release like the Citizen Kane 4K.

I'm also happy there are apparently no authoring or manufacturing issues with this 4K disc!

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I am glad to see a HTF review in which the feature is awarded a score of 5.0. It seems most reviewers hold back an extra .5 as if no film is prefect, so most ratings of great films seem to be 4.5. However, this film is perfect and I am glad to see it gets a perfect score.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am glad to see a HTF review in which the feature is awarded a score of 5.0. It seems most reviewers hold back an extra .5 as if no film is prefect, so most ratings of great films seem to be 4.5. However, this film is perfect and I am glad to see it gets a perfect score.
Not only is this a perfect film, but it's an historic one that moved Hollywood to produce more serious adult films.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Never saw this film.

Now that the 4k is $24.95 for Amazon Prime Day, I have a reason to pick this up

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks