What's new

Pre-Order Duel (1971) (4k UHD Combo) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
71ULVzUAZiL._SL1500_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
^Again, its the version that played in theaters, so BSG kinda straddles the definition there.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
My Steelbook arrived today from Gruv. The press releases I have seen & the picture above only state HDR10 but the theatrical cut does have Dolby Vision also.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Poor studios. With all their money they still can't create nice packaging, yet the little companies do it all the time. I promptly discarded that awful photoshop job and am using an imported slipbox (from China, of all places) to store the disc. Great looking disc,too. I enjoyed the heck out of that last revisit.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I haven’t seen a thread on this 4K disc, so I thought I’d post about it.

I was picking up the latest Hitchcock 4K blu ray set and I came across the 1971 DUEL 4K blu ray on the GRUV site, so I had pre-ordered it. I was surprised it arrived today.

I am a bit surprised this was released on 4K, but I was curious and ordered it because I like this film and am curious how this will look. I thought the previous blu ray was fine. I’ll check it out tonight or tomorrow.

IMG_2443.jpeg

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks mods for moving my post here, I did not see this thread. :)

I watched the whole film last night on the 4K disc. I haven’t seen this in a while and I forget that this is the theatrical cut which is fine. I can confirm that when the disc started, my display on screen showed Dolby Vision momentarily. The box artwork specs say the aspect ratio is 1:85 to 1. I did notice a thin black bar on top and below.

I used the default audio track, while I do not have a system with Atmos, I really did enjoy the surround effects. In the opening scenes when David’s car passes through the tunnels, the sounds of the cars are enveloping the room. So that was cool.

As far as image quality, I thought it looked fine. But I’ll be curious how the included blu ray compares, I do not know if the disc is the same transfer used on the earlier blu ray. In the scene in Chuck’s Cafe, I did notice Gene Dynarski’s hairpiece lace on his forehead. Other than that, I’m not so sure the 4K disc is an improvement yet. I’ll check out the Blu ray later.

About the included TV cut, what I didn’t expect is after the theatrical cut ends on the 4K disc, the TV cut starts up. It is 4:3 aspect ratio. I only watched a few minutes of it and I thought it looked terrible. The titles graphics looked very odd as if there was some misalignment. The overall image quality looked worse than DVD. I’ll have to watch the later parts, I don’t know if the image improves or not.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...About the included TV cut, what I didn’t expect is after the theatrical cut ends on the 4K disc, the TV cut starts up. It is 4:3 aspect ratio. I only watched a few minutes of it and I thought it looked terrible. The titles graphics looked very odd as if there was some misalignment. The overall image quality looked worse than DVD. I’ll have to watch the later parts, I don’t know if the image improves or not.
This was a huge disappointment - not the 4K, which looks fine, but the TV cut. Even though it's labelled as HD on both the packaging and the menu, it's clearly from an old SD tape master, and a terribly upscaled one at that. I can't imagine it would have been all that difficult just to conform the TV edit when the negative was already scanned. If I had known the quality was so poor, I wouldn't have bothered getting this disc, as I'm pretty happy with the way the existing blu-ray looks.

Robert Saccone

Premium
I just got this. I am a little bummed about the TV cut not being so good. Other than aspect ratio what are the differences between the two? I have a Dolby Atmos setup so I can post my thoughts on that when I get a chance to check it out.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Theatrical cut has a completely new (and superior IMHO) title sequence, and two additional scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
altinbevera
Recent bookmarks