What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

DVD Library Software question (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I am a bit behind the times since I don't "stream" or watch digital movies but still have 3,000+ DVDs in my collection. I use to use DVD Profiler years ago to record my titles but the version is so outdated that I could not even update the database and I have tons more titles since.

Had looked online to see if there was some free upload site to scan UPC codes to a cloud, archive share site, or software to download. One that would allow me to use a hand UPC scanner and get my titles entered quickly which will also include downloading covers so I can print them out?

I did download XMM (eXtreme Movie Manager 8) but that was a hot mess. I spent 5 hours trying to simply enter 12 titles and was only able to get 3 to fill out, one accurately. Even though they have the ability to read a text file of UPC codes, their scripts that use various online databases or retail sites whose info no longer have UPC codes to pull the data from and so useless. The software is more geared for the European market and not USA. And entering a title fared no better... especially if you have older out of print ones and I am not going to type in 5,000 titles (have TV sets too and box sets) along with dates, times, versions, OAR, cost... one by one.

Is there a workable software out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to use to archive my library titles and print out covers - using a UPC scanner? Or even an online site to store the data? There use to be a lot of them but since people are switching up....

Thanks
Eric

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I used to LOVE the now-defunct "DVDSpot" website. Super easy to navigate, add editions of discs, keep track of movies that were on loan, and functions to search for a particular star, director or year. I don't think any of the newer sites compare to it. I did use DVD Profiler for a while but found it way too fiddly for what it was.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I have a feeling that what I am seeking is a bit outdated or their days are numbered? There has to be other people out here who still have large DVD collections they keep track of some way?

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have a feeling that what I am seeking is a bit outdated or their days are numbered? There has to be other people out here who still have large DVD collections they keep track of some way?
I still use DVD Profiler version 3.9.1/Build 1657 which does an excellent job keeping track of my over 10,000 disc collection.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I'm still using MediaMan, but I'm not sure if the developer is even maintaining it any more. The last update was in early 2014.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
It is mindboggling about the things we to hype about which we either now take for granted or are no longer concerned with.

Have people abandoned their collections?

I have been collecting since the beginning in 1996 but don't have nowhere near 10,000 discs but at times sees like it.

I have seen many transitions over the years. Remember when bigger was better when it came to DVD cases? And forbid not having an informational insert inside them. How many threads were written about that! And this was after the very first DVDs came in CD jewel cases (not the longer ones but regular music type). Or how about Easter Eggs? The Flipper versus Single sided or DVD-18 (layer) controversy? The Dollar DVD wars? And being THX enhanced was the bomb (in a good way)? And of course numbered DVDs and limited editions. Special packaging was all the rage (except for your shelf), and don't dare lack having a commentary or any extras on multi discs. And don't forget "new and improved" editions of the same title coming out every few months. We still loved our discs and I still proudly display them but not all in one place which make having a current inventory, even for insurance purposes, necessary.

Eric

Last edited:

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I still use DVD Profiler version 3.9.1/Build 1657 which does an excellent job keeping track of my over 10,000 disc collection.

HaHa... got you beat you young whippersnapper. I still have version 2.4.0 Build 868. Problem is that after the company changed hands years ago, the database structure changed and updates were no longer compatible, even after trying to convert them. So, I do have quite a bit entered in the old format but held hostage and does me no good. And if I do upgrade, how can I import the inventory as well as all of my uploaded covers? Does it still support adding titles by UPC code? That is my main concern... ease of entering titles, especially if I possibly have to start over.

They use to also have their own server where you could upload your database to see and share online... still there?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
HaHa... got you beat you young whippersnapper. I still have version 2.4.0 Build 868. Problem is that after the company changed hands years ago, the database structure changed and updates were no longer compatible, even after trying to convert them. So, I do have quite a bit entered in the old format but held hostage and does me no good. And if I do upgrade, how can I import the inventory as well as all of my uploaded covers? Does it still support adding titles by UPC code? That is my main concern... ease of entering titles, especially if I possibly have to start over.

They use to also have their own server where you could upload your database to see and share online... still there?
Yes!

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I'm in the process of ripping all of my DVDs to a media server and playing them back in Plex. There is a file naming convention and once you've named the files and imported them into Plex, it builds a Netflix style menu system with images, theme songs, synopsis, cast and crew, etc. It's a lot more convenient than shiny discs and it streams all over the house over the wifi too. My whole DVD collection is available 24/7.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I'm in the process of ripping all of my DVDs to a media server and playing them back in Plex. There is a file naming convention and once you've named the files and imported them into Plex, it builds a Netflix style menu system with images, theme songs, synopsis, cast and crew, etc. It's a lot more convenient than shiny discs and it streams all over the house over the wifi too. My whole DVD collection is available 24/7.

What is the video quality after ripping? Can they be viewed on a 1080p screen? What tool do you use or is it part of the website? And what about the extras on discs like making of documentaries?

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I have a non-profit digital archive with a huge library of DVDs that we are in the process of converting losslessly to MKV files. You can make MKV files of anything on the disk, including documentaries. But getting the extras to read properly to the scraper in Plex involves a little bit of extra manual tagging. It isn't that hard though. The only thing you don't get with Plex is the menus, because it's all based on individual videos, not the file structure of the DVD. There are ways to save disk images with all of the menu structure intact too, but Plex is a much better interface.

There is a bit of a learning curve, but I'm happy to give advice to anyone who is interested. I have a thread in Home Theater PCs about my digital archive media server projects. Check that out and ask questions there about the technical stuff there if you are interested.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/com...roject-for-non-profit-digital-archive.347376/

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I have a non-profit digital archive with a huge library of DVDs that we are in the process of converting losslessly to MKV files. You can make MKV files of anything on the disk, including documentaries. But getting the extras to read properly to the scraper in Plex involves a little bit of extra manual tagging. It isn't that hard though. The only thing you don't get with Plex is the menus, because it's all based on individual videos, not the file structure of the DVD. There are ways to save disk images with all of the menu structure intact too, but Plex is a much better interface.

There is a bit of a learning curve, but I'm happy to give advice to anyone who is interested. I have a thread in Home Theater PCs about my digital archive media server projects. Check that out and ask questions there about the technical stuff there if you are interested.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/massive-media-server-project-for-non-profit-digital-archive.347
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/com...roject-for-non-profit-digital-archive.347376/

I'm going to check this out! Thank you! I mentioned this to the BF over the weekend as a long term project. We like the idea of being able to stream anything from the collection in the house without having to go get the discs.

I used to LOVE the now-defunct "DVDSpot" website. Super easy to navigate, add editions of discs, keep track of movies that were on loan, and functions to search for a particular star, director or year.

I miss DVDSpot...a lot. It was a great interface with very useable features. New titles were easy to add without a lot of stupid stickler rules. It was a dark day when it went away.

I'm using, and have used for at least 10 years, DVD Profiler. I have the app on my phone and the desktop version. It's super useful if I'm in a store and see something on sale I'm not sure I have.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'm so happy to see another HTF member has good memories of DVDSpot. Nothing has ever managed to equal it in terms of functions, features and ease of use. I hope against hope that somebody brings it back.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm so happy to see another HTF member has good memories of DVDSpot. Nothing has ever managed to equal it in terms of functions, features and ease of use. I hope against hope that somebody brings it back.

Back in my younger days, I was fanatical about keeping three or four lists of the movies I had, along with a running total of which movies I watched each year. I don't have time or patience for any of that anymore...but DVD Spot was my favorite application which would let you do both things at once.

No idea... All we had at the time was that the website had been purchased by a larger company. I don't know what happened to all the data that members added - it was one of the largest movie databases on the net before it closed.

IIRC, it got bought by CNET. The idea was something bigger and better was coming, though I'm not sure that ever materialized. That's fine...I'm not apt to change what I use at this point anyway.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Back in my younger days, I was fanatical about keeping three or four lists of the movies I had, along with a running total of which movies I watched each year. I don't have time or patience for any of that anymore...but DVD Spot was my favorite application which would let you do both things at once.

IIRC, it got bought by CNET. The idea was something bigger and better was coming, though I'm not sure that ever materialized. That's fine...I'm not apt to change what I use at this point anyway.
I'd change back in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks