What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Effects of incoming 8K format on current and future 4K content (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
giphy.gif

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You CAN'T EVEN SEE THE DIFFERENCE between 4K and 8K until you have a screen that is at least 150".

So @Ronald Epstein and I got to see the first 3 8K sets on the market at Value Electronics in Scarsdale NY on Saturday. Of the 3 I'd put the LG OLED in a class by itself for sure. The demo material for that was blisteringly beautiful and shows off the contrast and HDR nicely. This set does 750 nits of light and it shows. Could we tell that it was an 8K set as opposed to 4k? I'd say yes for the LG, I'm not so certain on the others. To be fair we spent the most time with the LG and it was NOT calibrated.

I personally am in no hurry to get to 8K, resolution by itself is already long past bang for the buck. But I said the same thing about 4K, and what really drove me to that tech is HDR and WCG. THOSE are way more important than pure pixel count. Better pixels >>> More pixels. Will 8K improve in that area? HDMI 2.1 will certainly help. We will see,

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I still haven't upgraded to 4K, mostly because it doesn't support 3D, but also because the only value I see in 4K isn't resolution based; it's HDR and WCG. There is a limit to what the human eye can resolve, but I'm not going to pontificate on what it is, because I'm neither a biologist, an opthalmologist, nor a physicist. The improvements come in more accurate colour and contrast once you get to the physical limits of resolution, and given the lack of standardisation I continue to resist on some level. 8K? No thanks. Get 4K right, then we'll talk.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What I discovered with Ang Lee’s high frame rate experimentations is this:

Resolution on its own isn't everything, or even the most important thing. This I knew.

What I didn’t contemplate before is that the amount of needed resolution may change depending on the frame rate. For standard 24 frame a second content (or live television’s 30 frames per second), 2K suffices, and 4K can add something but the content doesn’t become unwatchable at lower resolutions.

But up the frame rate, and the resolution seems to matter more. With higher frame rates come more detail being captured and the extra resolution matters in those scenarios.

8K for watching a standard movie at home? It’s overkill in most scenarios. But 8K might not be overkill for someone using these monitors to display high frame content in a custom application, like a theme park ride or other simulation where the goal isn’t to great cinema but rather to emulate a real environment.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
IMHO 4K has not been out long enough and will only turn off consumers when they are told they need yet another new tv. Look how long the the old TV standard was around untill HD came around. Then HD was out maybe not long enough before 4K came out but 4K had HDR and WCG which was a nice upgrade from HD. But while there may be some 4K broadcasts in Japan there are no native 4K broadcast stations in the US. And is there even one single cable/satellite channel that is native 4K? Yes we can stream 4K content and we have 4K UHD Blu-ray but now broadcast in 4K and display manufactures now are pushing 8K displays IMHO way to soon. No 4K broadcast and many people around the country do not have the bandwidth to stream 4K so how do they think anyone will get 8K content. Studios are not going to want to go back this soon and try and do 8K masters or upconvert content to 8K. I feel studios will continue to release 4K discs and digital and what will most likely happen is 4K content will be upconverted to 8K. Also how many people that just upgraded there surround receivers or pre/pros will want to run out and replace them with 8K switching models when there is no 8K content and most likely will not be any 8K content for the foreseeable future. I am very happy with 4K and the content I am collecting but will not rule out a large 8K display later on. But IMHO they need to slow down and focus more on improving display technology instead of ramming resolution down our throats at a fast pace. So much we do not have in 4K right now so no there is no way I am close to being ready to bring 8K into my home. Maybe after I have had the Sony OLED for 4-5 years and I have been able to upgrade the HDMI board in my Marantz SR-8012 to be 8K compatible then it is time to consider the move to 8K and only if the display is a minimum size of 80".

IMG_2976a.jpg

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
Am curious what channels in 4K you have with Direct TV?

One is a free 24 hour channel with 4K documentaries, original talk shows like Undeniable and original series like that Stephen King series that's a DirecTV original. Two more channels are PPV just released movies in 4K. Two to three more channels are live sporting events like NFL Thursday Night Football in 4K. Every Saturday has two or three College football games in 4K. Occasional soccer games are in 4K. NBA Basketball. Major League Baseball. PGA Golf Tournaments, etc. The live sports channels are free also. They just only air while a game is live. It's not 24 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks