What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Elvis at the Movies: AKA Elvis in Hollywood (1 Viewer)

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
A thread devoted to Elvis Presley's motion picture career in Hollywood. He appeared in 33 theatrical films between 1956 and 1972. His early work showed he had promise as an actor, while his later efforts declined consistently in quality.

Elvis and his movie career are interesting topics to discuss. Where and why did it all go wrong?

Any fans of his movies? Does anyone think Elvis had more potential as an actor than given credit for?

1667407125878.png

Last edited:

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
Elvis was great in Flaming Star,and he was offered the role of Colorado in my all time fav western Rio Bravo and he wanted to do it but Colonel 'idiot' Parker refused it over billing.Ricky Nelson was very good but it would have been fascinating to see the King and Duke Wayne together in the same film.And Elvis was a big fan of Dino.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Elvis was great in Flaming Star,and he was offered the role of Colorado in my all time fav western Rio Bravo and he wanted to do it but Colonel 'idiot' Parker refused it over billing.Ricky Nelson was very good but it would have been fascinating to see the King and Duke Wayne together in the same film.And Elvis was a big fan of Dino.
Concerning Rio Bravo:

Colonel Parker apparently disapproved of Elvis sharing screen-time with another recording artist. If ever Elvis was offered or considered for a movie for which another singer had already been signed, the Colonel would steadfastly decline.

Still, I agree that it would've been intriguing to see John Wayne and Elvis play together. One commentator said had Elvis been in Rio Bravo, "new math" would've needed to be invented to explain the movie's box office success.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
A thread devoted to Elvis Presley's motion picture career. He appeared in 33 theatrical films between 1956 and 1972. His early work showed promise as an actor, while his later efforts declined consistently in quality.

Elvis and his movie career are an interesting topic to discuss. Where and why did it all go wrong?

Any fans of his movies? Does anyone think Elvis had more potential as an actor than given credit for?

I think Elvis certainly had potential. I love Jailhouse Rock. Elvis plays such a surly punk in that movie that I could have seen him go on to a career playing "dangerous" antiheroes. But, obviously the "Colonel" wanted to clean up Elvis' image, so after King Creole (another one I really like) he was strictly G-rated and "safe". His later movies are okay, but just minor entertainments, IMO. I do like Viva Las Vegas! though for the smoking hotness of Ann-Margaret who steals that film IMO.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
...and the Colonel was responsible for the sabotage. You see hints of that sabotaged potential in films like Jailhouse Rock and Wild in the Country, but most especially in King Creole.

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
Concerning Rio Bravo:

Colonel Parker apparently disapproved of Elvis sharing screen-time with another recording artist. If ever Elvis was offered or considered for a movie for which another singer had already been signed, the Colonel would steadfastly decline.

Still, I agree that it would've been intriguing to see John Wayne and Elvis play together. One commentator said had Elvis been in Rio Bravo, "new math" would've needed to be invented to explain the movie's box office success.
Regarding Rio Bravo - this was never offered. Elvis was drafted in March 1958 and discharged in March 1960. He was stationed in Germany while Rio Bravo was in production.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GAMark
Recent bookmarks