What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Elvis Presley on Blu, A Comprehensive Listing (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I received Wild In The Country from Explosive (Koch) Media in Germany today. The disc is region free and has stereo sound (music). It is a nice transfer with some grain and good color and contrast. There is a bit of gate weave but it's not bothersome. There are trailers in English and German and a still gallery. I am happy with it.
Thanks for the info /review. I'll probably order this .

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Thanks for the info /review. I'll probably order this .
Did so this week from Amazon UK. I saw 2001 A Space Odyssey this week at a local theater . Gary Lockwood was in that film and WITC as well . Good actor .

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Hopefully, this is true! It mentions at the bottom it being sold by Screen Archives and Twilight Time. Maybe TT will comment.

upload_2018-9-11_18-54-17.png

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
It crossed my mind that this might be a foriegn Blu-ray , and therefore a Public Domain release . I hope the quality is good .

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I don't think TT would be selling it if it were foreign. If all the stuff about the 4K scan, etc., is correct, this could be the Elvis release of all time.
John, I'm as hopeful as you are about this. If indeed this was scanned from the original 8 perf Vista Vision elements, it could be truly spectacular. Like you, this film has been on my most wanted list (along with THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER) for quite some time.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
John, I'm as hopeful as you are about this. If indeed this was scanned from the original 8 perf Vista Vision elements, it could be truly spectacular. Like you, this film has been on my most wanted list (along with THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER) for quite some time.
Having looked into this a little bit, I'm now confident this will be a great release . Let's hope that King Creole is in the wings !

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Speaking of a possible TT release of Loving You (1957), isn’t it near time for another TT release announcement?

TT might have Loving You but they don’t have King Creole(1958) and GI Blues (1963). wish they did.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Speaking of a possible TT release of Loving You (1957), isn’t it near time for another TT release announcement?

TT might have Loving You but they don’t have King Creole(1958) and GI Blues (1963). wish they did.
It looks like TT will be selling Loving You on their site but it is not their release per se. Yes, it is time for pitiful Paramount to start farming out their titles to companies interested in releasing them.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello

Right , Paramount has the rights to all of their titles except Loving You which went to NBC (now Universal ) as part of the deal for the 68 Comeback Special (which is coming to Blu-ray in November via a 5 CD 2 Blu-ray set which should encompass all known material generated by the show !)
The Paramount films are : King Creole G. I. Blues ,Blue Hawaii, Girls! Girls! Girls!, Fun In Acapulco, Roustabout, Paradise Hawaiian Style, and Easy Come Easy Go. So far, Paramount hasn't shown much of an inclination to release their films on Blu-ray , nor license them to other companies .
The production of Change Of Habit was also part of the NBC, deal so who knows , we may see that one come out on Blu-ray .
Warner Brothers owns the remaining unreleased on BD movies . They too have been slow to release their gigantic and fantastic catalogue on Blu-ray .

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That’s great news about the Comeback Special coming in November. I don’t have a copy at all so it’ll be a good excuse to pick it up.

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
Right , Paramount has the rights to all of their titles except Loving You which went to NBC (now Universal ) as part of the deal for the 68 Comeback Special (which is coming to Blu-ray in November via a 5 CD 2 Blu-ray set which should encompass all known material generated by the show !)

The '68 special on Blu? Must be heavily upconverted, since it was shot on SD video. I have the multi disc DVD set with the different cuts and various outtakes.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
The '68 special on Blu? Must be heavily upconverted, since it was shot on SD video. I have the multi disc DVD set with the different cuts and various outtakes.
I have that excellent DVD box set too. But I love the 68 Special and the way Elvis sang on that show , so I'm looking forward to this "complete " CD/BD set .

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I received the '68 Comeback Special CD+Blu-ray set for Christmas. I'm thrilled with it!

Almost everything on it has been previously released from what I understand, but the previous releases are long out of print and go for outrageously high prices both new and used. This new set was substantially cheaper than any listing I've seen for the out of print sets.

I haven't listened to the audio CDs in great detail yet, so no thoughts on those.

But the Blu-rays are phenomenal. I know it's frequently stated that there's little point to putting standard definition material on Blu-ray, but I disagree. If there's one thing that the MPEG2 codec used for DVD is particular bad at, it's standard definition videotape from the pre-digital era. On DVD, a show like this would almost certainly be plagued with all sorts of compression artifacts from trying to handle the video noise inherent in the signal. On Blu-ray, with the superior AVC codec plus additional disc space, this kind of video can be handled properly, so that you can get pretty much a pure viewing of what the master tapes actually looked like. So while the '68 Comeback Special is not in HD and is not likely to be mistaken for HD, it looks beautifully clean and artifact free, with natural motion and good clarity. The uncompressed audio sounds fantastic. And the two "sit down" shows are really worth the price of admission.

Without having the DVD to compare it to, I can't say whether or not it's worth a double-dip -- but if you don't have the '68 Comeback Special at all, this is worth getting.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have a dumb question:

I just got the Blu-ray release for “Elvis: That’s The Way It Is” which I’ve never seen in its entirely. I see that it comes with two versions, a new special edition in HD, and a longer theatrical version on DVD. What are the differences between the two versions? Is one generally considered better than the other?

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I have a dumb question:

I just got the Blu-ray release for “Elvis: That’s The Way It Is” which I’ve never seen in its entirely. I see that it comes with two versions, a new special edition in HD, and a longer theatrical version on DVD. What are the differences between the two versions? Is one generally considered better than the other?
The original version has many more fan interviews and reactions. The later version concentrated more on the shows and music. I guess to a non-fan the first version may seem a bit corny with the adulation shown toward Elvis, but being an Elvis fan myself, I like it best. :)

Last edited:

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
Hopefully, this is true! It mentions at the bottom it being sold by Screen Archives and Twilight Time. Maybe TT will comment.

View attachment 49413

I inquired about Loving You 1957 with screen archives today. Here is their response:

Good morning,

We have contacted the label and they have stated that the title was marked as delayed well over two months ago and now has no imminent date of expected release. It is still in the works but may be several more months before it will be ready for release.

Sincerely,
Katie
Screen Archives Entertainment
PO BOX 550
Linden, VA 22642

It is impossible to convey how utterly disappointed I am at this news.
What’s going on? Rights issues? Was the press release premature?

Does anybody have any additional information they can share?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks