What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

International Euro Blu-ray Review: HOLLYWOOD ENDING (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This review is made possible with the help of www.DaaVeeDee.com

Notes on my reviews: I do not offer plot summaries in most cases, as these can be found on a million other sites, but rather focus instead on what people want to know: the image and sound presentation, default playback settings, subtitles, audio choices, etc. My equipment: Panasonic TC-P55UT50 Plasma monitor (3-D capable); Panasonic DMP-BDT220 3-D Blu-ray player; LG BD-360 all-region Blu-ray player; Denon AVE-E200 5.1 Surround receiver. All aspect ratios are physically measured on the Panasonic screen, which has been set to eliminate overscan.HOLLYWOOD ENDING (2002)LABEL: Smile EntertainmentCOUNTRY OF ORIGIN: SwedenREGION: All RegionASPECT RATIO: 1.78:1C/BW: ColorSOUND: 2.0 Dolby Mono. BONUS MATERIAL: ZipCHAPTERS: 9I figure that about one-third of Woody Allen’s films hit the ball out of the park. Another third are certainly watchable and have fine performances and other things going for them, and a third that miss – a couple of them rather egregiously. But any director with 50 movies under his belt with that kind of record demands respect. He is a terrific writer, especially of female characters, and his better films rather deeply look into relationships, and better than most writers at that.HOLLYWOOD ENDING is a funny movie that is mostly about pure entertainment. Allen himself plays the usual angst-ridden character, this time with the added drawback of becoming psychosomatically blind. The usual spot-on casting puts it over.Like the domestic Blu-rays of Allen’s films, the Swedish releases look fine – good color, flesh tones, proper grain, shadow detail, etc. It appears there was some light DNR applied, as the grain is a bit soft. Sound is typical 2.0 mono, and is clear as a bell. Unlike the domestic releases, there is not even a trailer for bonus material. Once loaded, the disc moves through the copyright warning and to a screen from which you have to choose a subtitle, with no option for "none." You will need to remove the subtitles using your remote. Then you go right to the movie. There are 12 chapters, but these cannot be access from a menu.The sound defaults to English and Swedish subtitles, which are easily removable. Other subtitles available are Danish, Finnish and Norwegian. The disc comes in one of the somewhat thicker blu-ray cases we often see from Europe.This review was made possible with the help of www.DaaVeeDee.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soonercineaste
Recent bookmarks