What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Father Knows Best (complete series) (1 Viewer)

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Father Knows Best is a standout of classic mid-to-late 1950s family sitcoms. I've noticed there is a complete series box set at different Walmart stores for around $60 (US). Is this set exclusive to Walmart? I cannot seem to find it on eBay or Amazon, and not even on the Walmart website.

What gives?

1626118190145.png

This rather blurry picture I posted above apparently comes from an eBay listing that currently says "out of stock".

Does anyone have any other information on this DVD set?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
The "Thriller" thread was just discussing how the copy of it found on eBay is a counterfeit. Everything looks legit except the disks are single layer instead of dual layer. Thus, doubling the compression. Considering Shout! doesn't list it on their website. Also, the box cover is based on the Shout! season 4 cover (I think Shout! would have come up with some thing fresh for a new complete series set). The internal set covers all appear based on other season covers from Shout!. I would steer clear unless you are okay with a counterfeit copy with overly compressed video.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
The "Thriller" thread was just discussing how the copy of it found on eBay is a counterfeit. Everything looks legit except the disks are single layer instead of dual layer. Thus, doubling the compression. Considering Shout! doesn't list it on their website. Also, the box cover is based on the Shout! season 4 cover (I think Shout! would have come up with some thing fresh for a new complete series set). The internal set covers all appear based on other season covers from Shout!. I would steer clear unless you are okay with a counterfeit copy with overly compressed video.
The outer cover appears like a replica of the individual fourth season DVD set. I've only seen that complete series set at Walmart. I doubt what Walmart is selling is counterfeit.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Sorry, my attention was caught by the "Thriller" thread and eBay reference and thinking about potential market sellers on Walmart not affiliated with Walmart. Yes, if it is in-store then it likely is legit. Shout! has sold other titles as Walmart exclusives (like CBS/Paramount). I can see where they may have reused artwork for a quick release exclusive in this scenario. I'd still check the disk sizes after purchase just to make sure they are dual layer. I once received a replacement disk from Shout! for my LITB set and it was a counterfeit disk (only single layer), which made me have a "hmm..." moment.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I hope my local Wal-Mart has this since it would fill one of the big holes in my black & white library (Assuming there's still even a DVD section; Haven't strolled into electronics at my local store since March 2020).

I wonder how the discs are stored though. I hope they're each individually accessible without the need to remove another disc in order to gain access. Even previous "budget" rereleases like the Leave it to Beaver reissue of a couple of years ago kept quality cases, so I hope Shout Factory didn't cheapen out too much here.

Still hoping to see Newhart, Mister Ed, and The Facts of Life get similar budget reissues.

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
If this isn’t a Walmart “exclusive”! it May be a good time for Shout Factory to gather the complete series into such a box set including the two later TV movies.

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
In-store at Wal-Mart though means they're the genuine article.
i have to agree .

i heavily edited the original post that Neal saved in his response post after this with this one bc i wasn‘t able to check the gb size . i have a follow up after Neal’s . whew! 😅

so, i initially thought the one i had was real, turns out i’m not so sure now bc i just found out its region free so i don’t think it is. i got mine on ebay so the one’s in Wal Mart who knows . btw , i didn’t notice any compression when sampling some episodes. in fact some of the eps were really sharp and others were so so but i had heard that the tranfers weren’t that good on the real sets anyway so i was expecting it to look like the Shout Ozzie & Harriet sets. my laptop is so old i can’t check the gb size on it. these discs do have the IFPL code mark on them so that’s the first time i’ve seen that on boots

Heres what the cases look like anyway
2EB97F5B-EBA0-4043-9DBE-ABC0239A5AC4.jpeg F3B59B1B-B1B7-4EB8-97CE-A283022E7D97.jpeg CD8310A1-E9BA-4013-AE11-C4FB26F8F115.jpeg

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
i have to agree .

i just got this set from ebay. i’ve known about this set since last fall when they first started showing up on ebay . i did research on it and couldn’t find any info on it anywhere or by the UPC # . i thought it was a counterfeit. i decided a couple of weeks ago to just go ahead and get it since it was cheaper than getting the individual sets, has less/compact cases , and if it was a boot , i’d have ebay’s guarantee . also, there wasn‘t any feedback from sales that said it was fake. plus , these weren’t showing up as often . well, it turns out that these are legit sets . i was pleasantly suprised. Wal Mart is known for having exclusive bundled / epik pak sets that other retailers don’t carry initially . when i got the petticoat junction seasons 1-3 set , it was only at Wal-Mart initially. the FTB set is just a compact repackage of the individual discs and i’m glad i took a chance on it. btw , thats a great price and it looks like its only available in store as the website doesn’t have it. i hope this helps

View attachment 103511 View attachment 103512 View attachment 103513 View attachment 103514
So happy for you and anyone else who bought or buys it!! I LOVE this show. It's one of my all-time favorite situation comedies!!

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
Update: so i figured out how to read the disc gb size without an extension . it shows 7.42 gb and the creation date matches up with the original release so i guess its real after all. not sure why its saying its region 1,2,3,4,5,6 as i would think this would be region 1 only. 4DF68040-B7A5-4C22-B9DB-57984C4E79B7.jpeg

Last edited:

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
Sorry, my attention was caught by the "Thriller" thread and eBay reference and thinking about potential market sellers on Walmart not affiliated with Walmart. Yes, if it is in-store then it likely is legit. Shout! has sold other titles as Walmart exclusives (like CBS/Paramount). I can see where they may have reused artwork for a quick release exclusive in this scenario. I'd still check the disk sizes after purchase just to make sure they are dual layer. I once received a replacement disk from Shout! for my LITB set and it was a counterfeit disk (only single layer), which made me have a "hmm..." moment.
wait, are you saying Shout! sent you a counterfeit disc? was it directly from them or was the replacement program outsourced to a third party? that’s really weird either way.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
wait, are you saying Shout! sent you a counterfeit disc? was it directly from them or was the replacement program outsourced to a third party? that’s really weird either way.
It was directly from Shout!. I had contacted them several years back that several of my LITB disks had cloudy areas. Some cleaned off, some did not. I sent pictures and they decided to send replacements. While they all stilled played, I was concerned about the future. All the replacements were legit but one was single layer that should have been dual layer. I decided not to make a big deal of it since the version of the disk I still had was not in that bad of shape. I did find it odd though and it was early in the process of counterfeits showing up on eBay. I figured they probably had counterfeits on hand for evaluation and either this disk slipped in accidentally, or they didn't have a copy of the one I needed handy and so slipped a counterfeit in its place thinking I wouldn't notice.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
i have to agree .

i heavily edited the original post that Neal saved in his response post after this with this one bc i wasn‘t able to check the gb size . i have a follow up after Neal’s . whew! 😅

so, i initially thought the one i had was real, turns out i’m not so sure now bc i just found out its region free so i don’t think it is. i got mine on ebay so the one’s in Wal Mart who knows . btw , i didn’t notice any compression when sampling some episodes. in fact some of the eps were really sharp and others were so so but i had heard that the tranfers weren’t that good on the real sets anyway so i was expecting it to look like the Shout Ozzie & Harriet sets. my laptop is so old i can’t check the gb size on it. these discs do have the IFPL code mark on them so that’s the first time i’ve seen that on boots

Heres what the cases look like anyway
View attachment 103517 View attachment 103518 View attachment 103519

Why is the second disc of the fifth go the first one in the third volume?

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Why is the second disc of the fifth go the first one in the third volume?
This complete series release contains three volumes with 10 discs in each volume. Father Knows Best season 1 has 4 discs, season 2 has 5 discs, so the 1st disc of season 3 is the last/10th disc in the volume 1 set and the 2nd disc of season 3 is the 1st disc in the volume 2 set. The 1st disc of season 5 is the last/10th disc in the volume 2 set and the 2nd disc of season 5 is the 1st disc in volume 3.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I just googled the UPC code on the rear cover and it doesn't bring up anything about FATHER KNOWS BEST. Usually if you google a valid UPC code, it'll usually bring up some reference to the item.

Last edited:

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
^^^However, keying that UPC code into DVD Profiler, does bring up the exact image of the Shout release pictured above. So perhaps googling a UPC code isn't always the way to go.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
If I understand correctly, the DVD Profiler database is user built - what people have purchased and entered into the system. If you happen to purchase a disc that's not in the database it'll use your information to populate when the next purchaser flags it for their collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks