What's new

Pre-Order Ferrari (2023) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (9 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81ouZi3f8qL._SL1500_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Will be interesting to see this. American reviewers were positive, British reviewers rather indifferent. But everyone agrees that the race scenes are incredibly exciting. Been a while since Michael Mann made something exciting.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Will be interesting to see this. American reviewers were positive, British reviewers rather indifferent. But everyone agrees that the race scenes are incredibly exciting. Been a while since Michael Mann made something exciting.
I saw it last week and found it pretty disappointing. Ferrari remains a cipher throughout. Driver at least has presence, but Shailene Woolley is horribly miscast. The racing scenes are good but marred by some terrible CGI. Penelope Cruz is the best thing in it. It’s nowhere near the level of the similarly-themed Ford vs. Ferrari.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I saw it last week and found it pretty disappointing. Ferrari remains a cipher throughout. Driver at least has presence, but Shailene Woolley is horribly miscast. The racing scenes are good but marred by some terrible CGI. Penelope Cruz is the best thing in it. It’s nowhere near the level of the similarly-themed Ford vs. Ferrari.
Ford vs. Ferrari was a terrific movie. Mann was actually an executive producer on that. I will see Ferrari with lowered expectations. Collateral is the last film of his I liked, and that was 20 years ago. 25 since The Insider.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Ford vs. Ferrari was a terrific movie. Mann was actually an executive producer on that. I will see Ferrari with lowered expectations. Collateral is the last film of his I liked, and that was 20 years ago. 25 since The Insider.
Ferrari is top-notch Michael Mann, and I went in with high expectations. But as with any Mann film, including his more recent ones, you have to watch it from the right perspective to appreciate it. Mann's films are all about professionalism, in the best Hawksian sense of the term. The comparisons to Ford vs. Ferrari are ironic considering that Mangold's film was awash in CGI from beginning to end. They promoted it as having shot the racing footage for real, but that just wasn't the case. Ferrari, on the other hand, did actually shoot most of the racing footage for real. The "terrible" CGI that Worth refers to is likely some of the crash footage, which definitely isn't as good CGI as that in Ford vs. Ferrari. But aside from the crashes and a few long shots, most of the rest of the footage was captured for real with minimal CGI enhancement. Even the crowds in the background of a few dangerous shots in the city streets that I assumed were added in post actually used stuntmen for extras. And Patrick Dempsey did damned near all of his own driving in the film, too.

Any comparisons to Ford vs. Ferrari are irrelevant anyway, because the two films have nothing whatsoever in common with each other aside from the fact that they both feature cars that were built by Enzo's company. They're both great films, but they share little common ground.

I've got a review of the film itself on my Letterboxd page if you're interested in a way too in-depth look at the film, and I just got my hand on the Blu-ray (plus I also have the Italian UHD on order), so there will eventually be more on the disc(s) on another site.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I blind-bought this a few days ago. Hopefully I’ll get around to watching it soon.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I streamed it last week and really enjoyed it, Adam Driver and Penélope Cruz are excellent while Shailene Woodley has a thankless role as the other woman. Racing scenes are great (some cars were built specially for the film) and the CGI was good. Not sure whether to buy it on disc, but if I do it will be the Italian 4k release.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
This looked so good in the theatre, The print was so good, I don't think any home video could compare. The color was super.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don’t see an option for a 4K blu ray version of this film. Perhaps there won’t be?

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I don’t see an option for a 4K blu ray version of this film. Perhaps there won’t be?
Italy only at this point. If it sells, will Decal do a domestic 4K later? Maybe. No guarantees of that, though.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Italy only at this point. If it sells, will Decal do a domestic 4K later? Maybe. No guarantees of that, though.
Thanks. It doesn’t look like this was a conventionally funded film in association with a major studio. Seems like a totally independent film with A list stars. Perhaps there isn’t enough money for a big home video release, or perhaps there is a deal due to streaming to delay a 4K release?

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Thanks. It doesn’t look like this was a conventionally funded film in association with a major studio. Seems like a totally independent film with A list stars. Perhaps there isn’t enough money for a big home video release, or perhaps there is a deal due to streaming to delay a 4K release?
I doubt that it's a delay due to streaming. Just a decision based on pure economics. Decal figured that the additional costs of pressing UHDs wouldn't pay off.

As far as the money being raised independently goes, absolutely. Ferrari has 30 credited executive producers -- and that's not even counting consulting producers and associate producers. More than 50 producers in total. It reads like a Kickstarter credit, which is probably what it effectively was.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I doubt that it's a delay due to streaming. Just a decision based on pure economics. Decal figured that the additional costs of pressing UHDs wouldn't pay off.

As far as the money being raised independently goes, absolutely. Ferrari has 30 credited executive producers -- and that's not even counting consulting producers and associate producers. More than 50 producers in total. It reads like a Kickstarter credit, which is probably what it effectively was.
Thanks Stephen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks