What's new

First home theater... Want to make sure I have my bases covered. (1 Viewer)

Grammy1337

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
First of all I need to put out the fact that I live in a mobile home currently and that this is my first home theater setup.

I am purchasing a Sony 930E 65" or 55" depending on space and total cost.
The plan is to go 5.0 or 5.1 using:
Definitive Technology BP 9020 Towers,
Definitive Technology SR-9040BP Rears,
Definitive Technology CS-9040HD Center
Haven't decided if I need a sub or not yet.
I'm considering adding the atmo's add on speakers as well but not sure I would gain much currently due to lack of space and living in a mobile home.

I'm not sure what receiver to go with just yet either. I'm open to recommendations from either Denon or Marantz.

My main question would be what else I may want to consider adding to my purchase. I am getting speaker wire and 4k hdmi's from amazon. Surge protector is a Rocketfish 12 outlet model.

I just joined up because this seems like a noob friendly forum and everyone seems really knowledgable. Can't wait to hear from everyone.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I recommend getting speaker and hdmi wire from monoproce.com instead of Amazon. Get their 12ga or 14ga oxygen free speaker wire. Personally, I'd just go with 12ga, even though it's probably overkill.

What made you decide on those particular speakers? I ask because the 9020s are bipolar, which means they really need to be placed 3-4 feet from the front wall to work properly. The just aren't designed to be placed up close to the front wall. I'm guessing your space is limited and that won't work very well. The 9040BP surrounds are also bipolar, which is the same word, but isn't quite the same idea with surrounds. BTW, those don't go in the back of the room, but on the sides, directly to the side of the viewing position, or slightly behind.

As far as receivers, just look for the features you want. You can find great deals on refurbs and discontinued models from both Denon and Marantz at accessories4less.com. Marantz is basically the upscale version of Denon (same company) with Marantz generally being more solidly built and a little less into the latest bells and whistles. I personally prefer Marantz equipment, but it's more expensive.

Grammy1337

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I didn't know about the distance from the wall. I get a large discount on them and the Denon and Marantz recievers. That's the biggest leading factor. Do you have a suggestion for another Def Tech set?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, bipolar main speakers really need to be placed away from the front wall, even though I bet they don't tell your that. Just find some other main speakers from DT that don't have rear firing tweeters. Again, bipolar surrounds are fine. In fact I prefer them. It's a different implementation of bipolar drivers than main speakers.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Being in a mobile home definitely presents some challenges and has some limitations. I agree that with limited space you may want to reconsider the bi pole speakers which may push you into a different brand selection. You mentioned that you get a discount and am assuming you work for a retailer. I would shoot for getting the most up to date receiver and get the best one you can afford as IMHO you do not want to have to replace it for sometime as I see that as a waste of money unless you have good finances and can afford it. What other brands do you have access to that you can get a discount on? I to like Denon and Marantz and right now I am considering a Marantz to replace my Pioneer Elite. But you might also want to look into and consider Yamaha.

Things I would make sure have in your a/v setup IMHO
A/V Receiver with HDCP 2.2 for 4K video
Dolby Atmos / DTS-X, even if you do not plan on setting it up right now you may set it up in the near future if you move
DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD is a must IMHO so you may want to stay away from the much older referbs
Look at how many sources you plan on using to make sure you have enough inputs for now and the future
I would also get a 7.1 receiver as you can always run it in 5.1 for now and expand it to 7.1 later. Or you can even reassign the extra two channels to power two speakers in another room for listening to music.

As far as speakers go and I am not sure what you have access to as far as brands go. But have you considered Polk, JBL or Boston Acoustics? I also like Klipsch and Bowers & Wilkens but B&W may be out of your budget. Also living in a mobile home may produce problems using a subwoofer? How is the mobile home park where you live? Are they really strict? Do you live in a HOA? Do you know neighbors that have a home theater set up and have they had issues with neighbors and or the mobile home park over subwoofers? Personally I consider subwoofers to be an important part of a home theater configuration but I would look into any potential issues. And with a small space you could also get away with a smaller subwoofer but that will not stop the low frequencies from being heard outside your mobile home.

Speakers can make or break your system so really make sure you like them before buying them. You want to make sure you can live with them. This is one thing besides the receiver where I would push your budget to the max and if you can wait a little bit you might want to save and upgrade the speakers and maybe bump yourself up to the next level receiver. But make sure your receiver can properly power what ever speakers you get.

Last edited:

Grammy1337

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Thank you so much for your reply. I honestly forgot I made this post till I got a notification in my email.I ended up purchasing the Def Techs after auditioning a few speaker sets including BW and Klipsh. I liked the compact aspect of having the subwoofers in the towers and center. I don't have things cranked very high so neighbors haven't been an issue...yet lol. I am thoroughly pleased with the speakers and have made arrangements to try to get them properly set.

I purchased a 65" Sony A8F, Marantz 5012, Def Tech 9020 Towers, Def Tech 9040 Center, Karma SS 12 AWG Cable from KnuKonceptz, Sony X-800 4k Player, Audioquest Sky HDMI's, Logitech Harmony Companion Remote

Attachments

• 20180507_175704.jpg
    20180507_175704.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 94

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Glad it works to your satisfaction. I'd have tried to steer you away from something like that too, but since you are happy enjoy em and don't read another review until you are ready to upgrade =)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Am glad your enjoying the Def Tech's. What was the first movie you watched after you got all your settings dialed in? How is all your gear working out?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tok
Recent bookmarks