What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Foul Play (1978) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Correct! Anyone that has actually seen the Blu-ray will tell you it looks nothing like the DVD. It looks pretty spectacular in my opinion. It surprised me as I wasn't expecting much from it.
It’s the best it’s ever looked on home video that is for sure and I’m glad to have it. But the digital massage was overdone and unnecessary.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It had probably been about 20 years since I last saw this movie, and I'd forgotten how genuinely thrilling it was in places. I remembered the humor, the music and the basic story, but there are significant moments of peril and suspense! Goldie Hawn plays it well, and it must have been refreshing in 1978 to have a divorced female character who was getting on with her life in a story in which her ex-husband plays no part (I don't think he's even mentioned, beyond the fact that she's divorced). In some ways it reminded me of her 1991 movie Deceived, which was not diffused with comedy. I liked that movie, but I prefer Foul Play.

In any event, if this is the last physical media version of Foul Play we get, I think that's okay (although some extras sure would be nice). The movie looks better than it ever has, and that's good for posterity. I'm sure it will not be another 20 years before I watch it again.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I watched it projected on a 110 inch screen and I thought it looked wonderful. It reminded me of what movies looked like in the 70s. I didn't notice any problems with grain, it seemed about right to me. I forgot to think about the tech after a few minutes, it really is a well-paced film.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I'm thrilled to have this movie that I love, but I'm disappointed that it is bare bones with no digital copy, no commentary, nothing else for a film that is so big. And my favorite is also SEEMS LIKE OLD TIMES. And second, BUTTERFLIES ARE FREE.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I'm thrilled to have this movie that I love, but I'm disappointed that it is bare bones with no digital copy, no commentary, nothing else for a film that is so big..
it’s a Paramount release, what did you think would happen. Any extras are mostly what was released on the DVD.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm thrilled to have this movie that I love, but I'm disappointed that it is bare bones with no digital copy, no commentary, nothing else for a film that is so big. And my favorite is also SEEMS LIKE OLD TIMES. And second, BUTTERFLIES ARE FREE.
To be fair, I compared this with the Foul Play DVD from 2004, and that was also bare bones, without even a trailer.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
it’s a Paramount release, what did you think would happen. Any extras are mostly what was released on the DVD.
To be fair, I compared this with the Foul Play DVD from 2004, and that was also bare bones, without even a trailer.

Paramount hasn't been the best when it comes to special features, only big name films have gotten them, and now 20+ years later they're now only made for anniversary editions. It would have been fun to hear from Goldie and Chevy, but either Paramount didn't even think about including any features for this release or it could have been that Goldie, Chevy, or both of them together were too expensive for what Paramount wanted to pay for them to be interviewed.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Popped it in to watch and it’s been so long since I last watched it that I don’t remember anything.

Forgot about the Barry Manilow song.

The static grain is hard not to notice especially at 85”.
Made an adjustment to the settings and it wasn’t that bad.
Reminds me of the screen door effect on the old rear projection TVs.

More to come

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well. a reviewer over at bluray.com wasn't overly pleased with the disc: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Foul-Play-Blu-ray/81045/#Review. While I definitely thought there was room for improvement with the image, I didn't think it was that bad, but to each their own.

That is an overly negative review of a Blu-ray transfer that is more than acceptable.

I certainly don't agree with that review at all.

I didn't think the transfer looked bad at all. In fact, I was surprised it looked as good as it did.

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
That is an overly negative review of a Blu-ray transfer that is more than acceptable.

I certainly don't agree with that review at all.

I didn't think the transfer looked bad at all. In fact, I was surprised it looked as good as it did.
I was going to say he's off base but he didn't even make it into the ballpark.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I could be very wrong about this, however, it occurs to me that Paramount isn't going to be putting a lot of money into some of these catalog releases.

They were very hesitant for many years to release their product to Blu-ray.

Now, the flood gates are open and they are doing an exceptional job putting out not only some of their most-wanted titles but stuff that you would not have ever guessed they would consider. And, as a Paramount executive said to me many years ago, "We don't put out our best titles all in one shot." They are going to carefully regulate how the most popular titles are to be released.

...but that is not my point...

FOUL PLAY is a popular title. But how much money is the studio going to pump into it to make it look pristine? I tend to think the studio puts its restoration money in the bigger titles (Indiana Jones, Roman Holiday, To Catch A Thief, The Godfather, etc.).

Seriously, FOUL PLAY looked better than I thought it would. That's how low my expectations are for that level of release.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
FOUL PLAY is a popular title. But how much money is the studio going to pump into it to make it look pristine? I tend to think the studio puts its restoration money in the bigger titles (Indiana Jones, Roman Holiday, To Catch A Thief, The Godfather, etc.).
Their Star Trek 4ks were very good, but boy, they sure left their lackluster Trek Blu-rays out there for 10 or 12 years.

I thought Foul Play looked better than I’ve ever seen it, and better than I ever thought I’d see it.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
If this is another On A Clear Day You Can See Forever crap show I will send it right back. Any BluRay is gonna be an upgrade from a DVD but from what I’ve read this is another Paramount rip off and unacceptable in 2022.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If this is another On A Clear Day You Can See Forever crap show I will send it right back. Any BluRay is gonna be an upgrade from a DVD but from what I’ve read this is another Paramount rip off and unacceptable in 2022.

Do let us know your opinion after watching, Noel. I am betting you will be fine with the transfer. I think that review on the other site did a huge injustice to the way the disc actually looks.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Do let us know your opinion after watching, Noel. I am betting you will be fine with the transfer. I think that review on the other site did a huge injustice to the way the disc actually looks.

You got it- I will. It sounds like it’s on par with Paramount’s Popeye release which I was very pleased with even though I was expecting the worst. It was delivered yesterday and I’m gonna take a quick peek. Years ago like almost 10 a friend of mine gifted the DVD to me as it was one of his favs and I had never seen it as I wasn’t into “mainstream studio” comedies back then. But I really liked it and thought the leads and supporting cast were terrific, it was well written and a lot of fun. And on top of that some Barry Manilow! The song was nominated for an Oscar by the way. Looking forward to a full viewing.
I’m gonna gift him the blu-ray this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks