What's new

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019) (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
gt8_key_fb_9x16_night_king_1-embed_2019.jpg

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Here are the run times:

Episode 1: 54 minutes

Episode 2: 58 minutes

Episode 3: 82 minutes

Episode 4: 78 minutes

Episode 5: 80 minutes

Episode 6: 80 minutes

Can’t help but feel a little bamboozled here. They previously said each episode would be 90 minutes. They should have just said nothing and surprised us with what they ended up being, because 4 80-minute episodes will be great. But as there are many subplots and characters I really don’t care for on the show, that will mean less time for the ones I enjoy. But whatever, I’m still excited for it to come back.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Can’t help but feel a little bamboozled here. They previously said each episode would be 90 minutes. They should have just said nothing and surprised us with what they ended up being, because 4 80-minute episodes will be great. But as there are many subplots and characters I really don’t care for on the show, that will mean less time for the ones I enjoy. But whatever, I’m still excited for it to come back.
I don't know that they ever explicitly stated that each episode would be 90 minutes. I think an HBO exec mentioned that the final season might have feature length episodes, and over time the internet's game of telephone turned that into each episode being 90 minutes.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I've been rewatching season 7 (on blu-ray) in advance of season 8. And I have a question for the book readers:

Is Euron Greyjoy a character in the books? Is his characterization the same as what we see in season 7?

Because what I see is just a lousy character. As he appears in season 7, Euron is a mustache-twirler, a character who gets off on being evil for evil's sake. That's never interesting. Now, I realize that Martin's books haven't caught up to the show (which is ironic) and as such, Euron may not have appeared much yet, if at all. If that's the case, I hope if and when Martin uses him, he becomes more interesting.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I've been rewatching season 7 (on blu-ray) in advance of season 8. And I have a question for the book readers:

Is Euron Greyjoy a character in the books? Is his characterization the same as what we see in season 7?

Because what I see is just a lousy character. As he appears in season 7, Euron is a mustache-twirler, a character who gets off on being evil for evil's sake. That's never interesting. Now, I realize that Martin's books haven't caught up to the show (which is ironic) and as such, Euron may not have appeared much yet, if at all. If that's the case, I hope if and when Martin uses him, he becomes more interesting.

Euron is in the books.

He doesn't really play a role until A Feast for Crows (book 4) where he participates in the Kingsmoot (a tradition where the Iron Isle captains vote on king). He's a very dangerous and violent character. I don't think he's evil for evil's sake like he is in the show--Martin definitely writes the character with clear goals. The character does lean into the "violent pirate" archetype, though.

Personally, I don't find the character particularly interesting. That's not a strike against Martin or anything--not every character can be on the level of, say, Jaime (my favourite character in the books by far).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Watched the last episode of season 7 last night. I could have sworn we knew the details of the deal Tyrion made with Cersei for her involvement, but it's not there. Wasn't it that Tyrion agreed that Cersei's unborn child would be the heir to the throne? That was while he thought Dany couldn't have children, which she no doubt can and will, now that she's with Jon. Anyway, where the hell am I remembering this from?

JaysonPriceful

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
Hey guys! So I wanted to know if any of you tried to watch HBO with a VPN? Because I'd like to watch the first episodes live but I'm not from America so it work with HBO but maybe with an American IP it would work? Says here it should work but I would like to be certain first

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hey guys! So I wanted to know if any of you tried to watch HBO with a VPN? Because I'd like to watch the first episodes live but I'm not from America so it work with HBO but maybe with an American IP it would work? Says here it should work but I would like to be certain first

Welcome to the forum. Your link doesn’t work. I don’t think you’ll get a lot of input on using a VPN to circumvent region locks on subscription services here at the HTF: not a common question or concern I’ve seen here.

And this discussion doesn’t really belong here in the season discussion thread. :)

JaysonPriceful

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
Welcome to the forum. Your link doesn’t work. I don’t think you’ll get a lot of input on using a VPN to circumvent region locks on subscription services here at the HTF: not a common question or concern I’ve seen here.

And this discussion doesn’t really belong here in the season discussion thread. :)
Oh ok, my bad. I fixed the link but I'll keep this in mind next time. To make it GoT related how would you guys recommend remembering everything from last season without actually rewatching? Is there some quick summary somewhere?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
FWIW - that article says nothing else about S8 other than that one quote: "I don't think it should be the final season." Everything else is about the upcoming spin off series or generic comments comparing the existing books to the series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Benioff & Weiss interview about Season 8:

https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/09/game-of-thrones-season-8-showrunners-interview/

Good stuff; no spoilers.

WEISS: We want people to love it. It matters a lot to us. We’ve spent 11 years doing this. We also know no matter what we do, even if it’s the optimal version, that a certain number of people will hate the best of all possible versions. There is no version where everybody says, “I have to admit, I agree with every other person on the planet that this is the perfect way to do this” — that’s an impossible reality that doesn’t exist. You hope you’re doing the best job you can, the version that works better than any other version, but you know somebody is not going to like it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just finished my rewatch of Season 7. It plays better on a condensed viewing schedule. After the earlier seasons ran more or less in real time, with fairly minimal time compression, Season 7 in particular resorted to the more aggressive time compression of feature films. There's also the fact that you have three magical 747s that can cover vast distances quickly.

I'm pumped for tomorrow's season premiere. Fortunately Verizon Fios is participating in the HBO free preview weekend, so I don't need to resubscribe to HBO Now until next weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks