What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd Erwin

Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season UHD Review
GOT-S1_feat-1024x576.jpg

HBO’s signature series Game of Thrones makes its 4K debut with Season One. But is it worth the upgrade?

[review]

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
So I have the Atmos BD set and have 4K Dolby Vision compatible displays. Is the video upgrade alone worth it?
Hard to say, as I do not have DV-capable equipment. I will say that on HDR10 displays, the upgrade is noticeable, but minimal. Most will be happy with their Blu-ray with Atmos release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So I have the Atmos BD set and have 4K Dolby Vision compatible displays. Is the video upgrade alone worth it?
Why do I get a feeling that being patient and waiting for the eventual complete series 4K collection will be much cheaper for somebody like me?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Why do I get a feeling that being patient and waiting for the eventual complete series 4K collection will be much cheaper for somebody like me?
I have a feeling this will be like TV on DVD. Everyone is waiting to see if the whole series will come out before committing and the studios see the lack of purchases so don't release any more seasons :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have a feeling this will be like TV on DVD. Everyone is waiting to see if the whole series will come out before committing and the studios see the lack of purchases so don't release any more seasons :)
Well, it's kind of their own fault to how they market and release these TV titles.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, I'm so torn about re-purchasing this. On one hand it sounds like an improvement...but it's a question of is it a $45 improvement? :rolling-smiley:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah that's my problem. I do have a 4K UHD HDR display, and my copy is the original non-Atmos. But $45 is $45. It's certainly well within my ability to afford...but it's still $45.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This set will be a Lightning Deal at Amazon.com starting at 7:40 pm ET.

The lowest recent price at Amazon has been $32.49, so we'll see if they can do better.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I almost placed the order but decided to check Best Buy's price, and found that they temporarily have it at $29.99. Since the earliest I can get it with Prime is Sunday, but my local store has a copy in stock (and is 1.5 miles away) I spent the extra 30 cents and gas to pick this up...hopefully in an hour.

Oh I did have a $5 BB Reward Zone coupon so I ended up spending less. (Near) instant gratification is a #$@$ of a thing. :rolling-smiley:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay, watched Episode 1. Count me in as a believer. I know this was filmed in 2K. I know this is an upconversion. But this is a marked and noticeable video quality improvement over the blu-ray. It looks sharper, and obviously the HDR (applied judiciously) makes everything "pop" just a little more. Whites are whiter, darks are darker, but shadow detail is still present. And the Atmos sound is enveloping.

I do hope they'll release the other seasons in 4K UHD + Atmos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks