What's new

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (May 31, 2019) (2 Viewers)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought it was a mess of a film.

Certainly entertaining with great visual effects.

But such a convoluted story, weak characters, muddy dark rainy cinematography (again!) and hard to follow battles.

A step down from the first installment (which I didn’t think was possible).

Did like Kyle Chandler (Monster Man >King King and now this).

Everyone else was annoying I thought especially (surprisingly) Millie Bobby Brown.

I’ll still buy the 4K tho. ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
With a cast full of TV actors and the pitchman from Verizon, this really felt more like a TV movie or Netflix instead of a major Hollywood picture.

That "category 6" hurricane line really bothered me, too. How hard is it to actually Google the Saffir-Simpson scale and get it right? Yes, it's a film about giant monsters fighting each other, but where there is science that is based in reality, just get it right, please?

There was no real plan in this film. "Destroy them! No, we need them! -- We have to stop them! No, we have to let fate take its course. -- They're going to destroy the planet! No, they are the only hope of saving it!"

Quite a muddled mess of a film, plot-wise, though I didn't have any issues with the visuals. The constant rain was annoying, but I was able to see all the action.

When the recharged Godzilla resurfaced, what was the point of him shooting his radioactive breath into the sky? Just for a "cool looking" shot?

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
When the recharged Godzilla resurfaced, what was the point of him shooting his radioactive breath into the sky? Just for a "cool looking" shot?

When Godzilla announces himself, either visually or with his classic roar, does he need human approval?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So in other words, it was just a waste of time and energy. Good to know.

I thought perhaps there was some reason for it, such as trying to disrupt the weather/storms being caused by Gidorah so we could clear out the damn rain, but I guess he was just posing.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So in other words, it was just a waste of time and energy. Good to know.

I thought perhaps there was some reason for it, such as trying to disrupt the weather/storms being caused by Gidorah so we could clear out the damn rain, but I guess he was just posing.
It is a fact that many animals do dominance displays, I’d say the Big G was doing that. Or I could just say it looked cool and I liked it. I think if you’re going nitpick the science of a movie about an impossible animal, then you’re missing the point. Take a Valium, chill out, and you might enjoy the movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It is a fact that many animals do dominance displays, I’d say the Big G was doing that. Or I could just say it looked cool and I liked it. I think if you’re going nitpick the science of a movie about an impossible animal, then you’re missing the point. Take a Valium, chill out, and you might enjoy the movie.
I understand we're talking about Godzilla, but was that last comment really necessary?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I understand we're talking about Godzilla, but was that last comment really necessary?
I didn’t think it was out-of-line or I wouldn’t have written it. I was trying to make the point that there is some criticism that just doesn’t make sense, in the context of this film. All IMHO. Would “chill out and enjoy the movie” be ok?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn’t think it was out-of-line or I wouldn’t have written it. I was trying to make the point that there is some criticism that just doesn’t make sense, in the context of this film. All IMHO. Would “chill out and enjoy the movie” be ok?
I took it as a dismissive and disrespectful comment. Perhaps, I am being a little too sensitive. Yes, phrasing it that other way was better.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I took it as a dismissive and disrespectful comment. Perhaps, I am being a little too sensitive. Yes, phrasing it that other way was better.
With all respect, I think you were a little too sensitive. There used to be an expression that was used often, “take a miltown and calm down.” I may have the M word wrong, but it was something like that. What I wrote was meant in the same vein and not meant to be derogatory. I’ll will keep your comment in mind.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
f8f65bc0159d907156b210c71250527f.gif

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Saw this lately. I thought it was awful. I kept looking at my phone during it, since it became such an ordeal to watch it. I nearly gagged when the woman scientist went on her misanthropic rant. Destroy the human race in order to "save" it? What drivel.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I thought the first Godzilla was okay and absolutely loved Kong Skull Island. The trailers for this didnt look good to me but since im interested in the upcoming Kong vs Godzilla I figured I watch this eventually. And its now on HBO, so i pulled it up on demand this morning.

Boy am I glad I didnt spend any money on this mess. Horrible dark cinematography, horrible writing, horrible acting, and like the last poster said, a horrible sermon about how humanity is a disease. I understand that the original Godzilla was a response to the consequences of the atomic bomb, so I can forgive a little thematic seriousness, but this was way too ham-fisted and over the top.

And again, like the previous poster, I quickly found myself messing with my phone. Thankfully the on demand stream suddenly cut off during the Rodan sequence. I have no interest whatsoever in resuming.

Im very worried right now about Kong vs Godzilla.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
I agree. Watched it last night and it became a chore to finish it. Am still hopeful about King vs Godzilla but this one is a one watch and never again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks