What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Handmaid's Tale Season 3 (Hulu) (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No love for The Handmaid's Tale on HTF, I guess. I think it's a remarkable series, that they've kept interesting beyond the first season, which was basically the novel. It is difficult material, though. Not much of a reprieve from the grim subject matter.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I thought the first season was amazing! Season two I found some episodes dragged. Will definitely give Season 3 a shot. Starts tonight in Canada.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think it's a spectacular show. I'm not new to the story, having read the novel 10-12 years ago. Maybe I'll revisit it. I think it's steadily gained steam with each season. Far from "dragging", I thought season 2 got down into the grimy dirt of the whole situation. It was outright brutal at times, also bringing in some topical issues that probably puts off some viewers. So far, season 3 has continued to crank it up, as far as I'm concerned. The character of Lawrence (Bradley Whitford) is especially intriguing to me. And, of course, Emily (Alexis Bledel) is the real surprise of the series.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well I thought the third season was pretty uneven, until the last few episodes anyway. But the finale was great.
I agree. Too much time spent with Elisabeth Moss glaring at the camera. They just dropped Emily the entire second half of the season, until the end of the final episode. But... the uneasy ambiguity of Commander Lawrence made for a good bit of enduring suspense. The turn of events for the Waterfords was a great idea, that I think might have been mishandled a bit. June's turns to the dark side were also good.

I know a lot of people seemed to dislike the second season, but I thought it was awesome. It really took off the gloves and got it's nasty on. I know it was probably too relentlessly grim for most people.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
My wife and I just finished going through all three seasons. Pretty much an episode a day, with a few days off between each season. “Relentlessly grim” is a good way to describe it. But we liked it a lot the whole way through, even if it boils the blood every step of the way. At least the last few episodes of season three had some really hopeful/inspired turns;
Stabler’s death, the Waterford’s arrest, the success of getting those 50+ kids to Canada
Very curious, though, how much longer the series will be. If they have a grand plan of sorts with an endgame in mind, they can go for however long they see fit, I suppose. I’d be fine with another season or two, but I don’t know how much of this effed up stuff I can take! lol!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hello everyone!

Finally, after all these years of refusing to do so, I have invested myself in THE HANDMAID'S TALE.

I am currently at the last two episodes of Season 3, expecting to start 4 today (doing a bit of a binge)

Was surprised to learn Season 5 is starting in a week or so...

... that kind of brings out the bit of disappointment I have with this series.

Believe me, I really like it. I think it's well-written and executed. Also, extremely sad in its overall premise.

I don't know how extended the novel this series is based on, but I just think that they have taken this story and really drawn it out with filler.

Additionally, for the life of me, I can't understand how Elizabeth Moss' character isn't hanging from the wall at this point. I realize that this is entertainment, but there has to be quite a bit of suspended belief over the fact that Offred is a constant rebel and nobody is keeping a close enough "eye" on her nor giving her the punishments that any other handmaiden in her situation would receive.

Outside of that, I am really enjoying the series and hope to have Season 4 done in time for the new episodes.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hello everyone!

Finally, after all these years of refusing to do so, I have invested myself in THE HANDMAID'S TALE.

I am currently at the last two episodes of Season 3, expecting to start 4 today (doing a bit of a binge)

Was surprised to learn Season 5 is starting in a week or so...

... that kind of brings out the bit of disappointment I have with this series.

Believe me, I really like it. I think it's well-written and executed. Also, extremely sad in its overall premise.

I don't know how extended the novel this series is based on, but I just think that they have taken this story and really drawn it out with filler.

Additionally, for the life of me, I can't understand how Elizabeth Moss' character isn't hanging from the wall at this point. I realize that this is entertainment, but there has to be quite a bit of suspended belief over the fact that Offred is a constant rebel and nobody is keeping a close enough "eye" on her nor giving her the punishments that any other handmaiden in her situation would receive.

Outside of that, I am really enjoying the series and hope to have Season 4 done in time for the new episodes.
Ron, the novel is basically the first season. They went beyond the novel since then, but the author Margaret Atwood is exec producer of the series.

Why had you refused to watch the series?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, the novel is basically the first season. They went beyond the novel since then, but the author Margaret Atwood is exec producer of the series.

Why had you refused to watch the series?

I had premonitions that it would be dull. Wasn't interested in the show's concept.

However, had many friends who had watched and urged me to do the same

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had premonitions that it would be dull. Wasn't interested in the show's concept.

However, had many friends who had watched and urged me to do the same
As I previously stated, I read the novel several years ago, and saw the rather mediocre movie a couple times. It really is a grim story that's possibly more prophetic than I anticipated. Not literally, as of yet, but certainly metaphorically.

I found the first season to be very good, and the second season to be almost brutal in its potential reality. The psalm in the hiding place, and what that place represented was absolutely chilling to me. Season three, from what I remember, really spun its wheels and often lacked substance, however I believe that was also the season where Emily's (Alexis Bledel) character really starts to take form, especially in the colonies and regarding how she deals with the commander's wife character played by Marisa Tomei.

Then season four had some of the most amazing television. In particular, episode eight (Testimony) is one of the greatest hours of television I've ever seen. I sort of wish they'd wrap it up in the fifth season, but knowing it will end with the sixth is good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks