What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Richard Gallagher

Harper Blu-ray Review
Harper.png

Ross MacDonald's hard-boiled private eye Lew Archer made his big screen debut (albeit with his last name changed) in Harper, adapted from MacDonald's 1949 novel "The Moving Target." The film features a superlative cast headed by Paul Newman, an excellent script by William Goldman, and wonderful cinematography by Conrad Hall. Harper is now available on Blu-ray with a gorgeous transfer from the Warner Archive.

[review]

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Ron, it's a really good movie with wonderful dialogue from William Goldman and a fantastic cast all the way around. A bit dated here and there, but still wonderful.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
There is something about this movie that just takes me in somehow and I feel like I am in their world. I find the sets so interesting and detailed. As noted all of the supporting actors are just perfect and mostly stars in their own right. Shelley Winters is over the top but absolutely, delightfully, tragically believable. For me, this is what going to the movies is about - being immersed in another world and taken on a journey. I watched the blu this past weekend and loved every second of it.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There is something about this movie that just takes me in somehow and I feel like I am in their world. I find the sets so interesting and detailed. As noted all of the supporting actors are just perfect and mostly stars in their own right. Shelley Winters is over the top but absolutely, delightfully, tragically believable. For me, this is what going to the movies is about - being immersed in another world and taken on a journey. I watched the blu this past weekend and loved every second of it.

Pretty much my view. Despite the sunny California locations & the witty dialogue & the beautiful people smiling, it's a dark & twisted tale, no one is really happy (except maybe the super cynical Lauren Bacall character), a real sixties film noir.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks