What's new

HDMI help! (10801 to 1080p & digi sound) (1 Viewer)

ugbootz

Auditioning
Real Name
chris c
Hi,

I have a home theatre set up that ive listed below. my TV is currently playing games at 1080i, but was wondering if i got an xbox 360 HDMI cable (about $50 au), would they run at 1080p? i asked a dude in EB games and he said tv's under 40" dont have 1080p, so the HDMI cable would have no effect. but if thats the case why does my TV have a HDMI slot on the back? also would the cable make my surround sound better? i currently upmix stereo with pro logic as im picking up the amp tomorrow, intending to get digital surround sound - do i need the HDMI cable for that as well? oh and also would the HDMI cable play my HD DVD's in 1080p instead of 1080i, or like the xbox itself, it wont play in 1080p because the tv's under 40"? ive put pics of the back of the systems so you guys can see the connections needed (see attachments).

1) an xbox 360
2) an xbox 360 HD DVD player add on
2) a Digicrystal 26" LCD HDTV
3) a Sturm 5.1 surround + sub
4) a Luxman 2800 7.1 digi sound reciever

any help or clarification on the matter would be really, really appreciated!

thanks heaps!
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

THXTheSounds

Agent
Real Name
Cody

That guy is wrong, LG just released their 37LB5D which is a 37" LCD that is 1080P. The difference is below 40-42" 1080P isn't noticeable, at least not very, possibly a little bit cleaner of a picture with a 1080P signal, but that's about it. HDMI is capable of 1080P but that doesn't mean anything going through it will be 1080P. It's digital sound and picture, so you don't need any additional cables for sound. As far as playing back in digital from your surround, you need a fiber optic in or digital coax in, the HDMI in will go to the TV and that will be your digital sound. As far as playback in 1080P on HD DVD's, don't waste the money on HD DVD's and the HD player if you haven't already. 26" that won't matter, just get a sony/LG/onkyo upconverter for 100 bucks and use your existing DVD's. 1080P is a resolution of 1920x1080, your screen is probably 1366x768 or 1024x768 or something like that, which is only 720p/1080i which are both basically the same picture signal. Did I cover everything?

Echo42987

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick

No offense but I don't tend to agree with some of your statements. The guy really isn't that wrong because they didn't release smaller size tv's that are 1080p capable till I believe this month or last. I also don't follow the whole digital in etc.? I also don't believe it's a waste of money to have HD DVD's!?

With your setup you will not really have a huge difference with upgrading your cables to HDMI. It's still a very iffy cable and if your using all Fiber optics and component cables your more then set! Just stick with what your have using component cables. HDMI isn't really necesary without a larger TV that is going to accept a 1080p signal but a lot of TV's are accepting a 1080p signal via component.

-Nick-

THXTheSounds

Agent
Real Name
Cody

I just think the investment of an HD DVD player in a 26" LCD is a bit unnecessary, but I guess they are getting rather cheap so why not, it's the whole re-buying all your movies in HD for the purpose of 1080P on a 720P set. And the digital in I mean on the receiver, feed HDMI to the tv and then digital coax/fiber optic out to the receiver. Just from a consumer stand point, buying 30$ dvd's and a 200$ dvd player for a 26" LCD just seems a tad bit redundant to me.

tlavely

Auditioning
Real Name
tony
Well, I think an HDMI cable won't do much good, since the picture of the back of the TV shows a DVI connector, not HDMI. I don't see an HDMI connector on the receiver, either, but that could be my vision. I haven't got an xbox, so don't know what it actually has. I don't believe that DVI carries audio, so you'd have to work that out separately.

Hope it helps, tony.

THXTheSounds

Agent
Real Name
Cody
Yeah I just looked at the back of the TV and there's pretty much nothing for HD hookup, you've got what looks like a single component input and a DVI, but other than that the tv doesn't look like it has much to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsystems82
Recent bookmarks